Log boom grapple build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, One with the Offensive Avitar, any progress on your build here? :chop:

Mr. HE:cool:

I've made very little progress, I'm still trying to figure out my landing gear. I did get the jib bored and bushed and cut on the angle. I think I just figured out how I'm going to make the joint at the main boom and jib. It all boils down to money which I don't have any extra right now. It's been so cold that I haven't felt like starting the stove in the garage only to have it take all day to warm up in there. I may start it today though, just to dry things out a bit. Even though I haven't made any physical progress I have been making mental progress. I constantly doodle different pieces getting my head wrapped around what what's going to look like. LOL I'll keep you all posted. I could have used this thing last week!
dave

Good points which I hadn't considered. You are looking at it correctly. I don't care about it slipping over the axle, I was going to weld them on in place. I may take your advice and weld them to the axle, that way 1) like you said, the same bearings won't always be under load and 2) if I do brake the axle shaft I can still slide it up out and replace it and salvage the bearings.
thanks,
dave

I have discovered that the pipe isn't perfectly aligned over the axle tube so I think I will have to weld the bearings to the pipe instead of the axle. It's off by like an 1/8" run out.
dave

Back