Log chain and dragging timber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was looking at different options to drag a long log out of the woods. Does anyone out there know if it's possible to hook a log chain up to a 4x4 truck and drag the timber to a pile? I haven't tried this yet and I don't have a tractor or anything else. Maybe it would help to cut angles on the end of the log so it doesn't get snagged. Any suggestions? Thanks!

It will work as long as the truck has enough omph and the log isn't too big for your traction capabilities. Frozen ground will make things go fairly smoothly. You're right about the log wanting to dig. Some kind of skip plate under the front of the log would help.

We do a sharp cut on the end of the log (Like a point kinda) hook a 15 Foot cable with 4FT of chain and clevices as a choker and it works great.

My F150 4x4 (sold it) has pulled tons of trees out of the bush. We don't have huge trees up here, so I would hook 4 or 5 trees (±50' long each) at a time and drag them out. No tree was bigger than about 18" at the butt. The truck pulled them out quite easily.

Should work out ok we use a 4 wheeler to pull out oak and hackberry all the time. If it won't pull it then we just shorten it a bit.

That is how i do it all the time. i use a thick nylon tow strap. strap the end of the log put it in 4 low and let er rip. its great fun. try and see how long and how much you can actually pull. havent met a log i couldnt pull yet

I was looking at different options to drag a long log out of the woods. Does anyone out there know if it's possible to hook a log chain up to a 4x4 truck and drag the timber to a pile? I haven't tried this yet and I don't have a tractor or anything else. Maybe it would help to cut angles on the end of the log so it doesn't get snagged. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you have a lot to get out, look into renting a skidloader with tracks for the day.

Try something like this

Hey maul ratt, try something like this for skidding logs I can pull a 28" X 12' log with my lawn tractor. I made this one for about $70.00 bucks, works great.:clap:

DSCF1512.jpg

DSCF1515.jpg

Hey maul ratt, try something like this for skidding logs I can pull a 28" X 12' log with my lawn tractor. I made this one for about $70.00 bucks, works great.:clap:

I need one of those for my Honda 4 Wheeler.... Nice job making that, and thanks for the pic, gives me some ideas !!!

Dragging logs thru dirt is just a mess as far as the dirt on the wood. Then you saw thru that, and your chain is junk!
Try to keep them from being in the dirt!

Increasing traction

DSCF1512.jpg

DSCF1515.jpg

The log arch is a great vehicle for gettin the log out,. lookin at your pics, got me thinkin , If you move the axle back, behind the arch, maybe 12 14 inches, you would transfer a whole bunch of weight on to the tow vehicle,/ drive axle, and take a whole bunch of weight off the dead axle,. I love your setup for skiding logs , I think Ill build one for my self, T,C, E,J,

dolly

how about strapin on a dolly back there , or for snow an old aluminum disc, like we slid down the hill on, OK Ill shut up now,..

How I do it

I use the truck all the time. My truck has a flatbed with hydralic bale spears. I went back and made a special bar across them with two loop clevis's and two chain hooks. I can slide the unit all the way to the end if I choose. I simply back up to the log, lower the spears, hook the log with a chain, get back in raise the spears and drive off. It transfers alot of weight to the rear wheels, where you need it. I could post pics. I would recommend a 4 wheel drive. You can drag one he@@ of alot with a truck, if you can get the weight to the tires.

Iam bored

I use the truck all the time. My truck has a flatbed with hydralic bale spears. I went back and made a special bar across them with two loop clevis's and two chain hooks. I can slide the unit all the way to the end if I choose. I simply back up to the log, lower the spears, hook the log with a chain, get back in raise the spears and drive off. It transfers alot of weight to the rear wheels, where you need it. I could post pics. I would recommend a 4 wheel drive. You can drag one he@@ of alot with a truck, if you can get the weight to the tires.

Ive looked everyware,...

The log arch is a great vehicle for gettin the log out,. lookin at your pics, got me thinkin , If you move the axle back, behind the arch, maybe 12 14 inches, you would transfer a whole bunch of weight on to the tow vehicle,/ drive axle, and take a whole bunch of weight off the dead axle,. I love your setup for skiding logs , I think Ill build one for my self, T,C, E,J,

I had the same thought. Looks like pulling from the top of the arch, it is unloading the rear drive wheels. I would modify it to lift the nose of the log a few inches and the actual pull to be from the axle level. Chain to somewhere up near the hitch?

Hmm..maybe behind my 2x F150??

Harry K

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back