Log chain and dragging timber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't think you'd want to transfer much of the load to the tow vehicle if it's a lawn tractor. The hitch point isn't that strong. What he's got is perfect for that little tractor.

Amen

I wouldn't think you'd want to transfer much of the load to the tow vehicle if it's a lawn tractor. The hitch point isn't that strong. What he's got is perfect for that little tractor.

Thanks goblin, This little skidder has moved everything from (full)55gal. drums & steel beams to logs and lumber. It's unreal how much I have used this thing and how much it will do. With the winch you can tie the mower off to something and drag logs to you, once you get it close enough to get the end off the ground, you just drive off with it. I wouldn't be with out one around the mill. I have moved as much as 3500lbs of roof decking with it and the little mower.

Ive looked everyware,...

For a flatbed? That part is a luxury. You could use the regular bed if you had the spear's setup. but risk is high.(of damaging truck). Far as the flatbed goes, I couldn't find one either, when I did it was either shot, broken, worn out, cobbled together, needed a new floor, or I couldn't afford it. I ended up buying one, putting the hydralic setup in and replacing the floor (it was flat sheet metal like glass and hard to wallk on) with diamond plate. And the gooseneck ball also. drove almost 190 miles one way to get it.

If that is a reply to my post, there would be no load transfered to the tractor, only the pulling vector would be directly behind the machine vice trying to pry the wheels off the ground.

From his follow up post it looks like my concern is not valid.

Harry K

TurnKey

If that is a reply to my post, there would be no load transfered to the tractor, only the pulling vector would be directly behind the machine vice trying to pry the wheels off the ground.

From his follow up post it looks like my concern is not valid.

Harry K

TurnKey,...If you have ever competed, (and sounds like you have) in a tractor pulling contest, you are spot on,...Ill have to disagree with Goblins message that the little tractors hitch might fall off,..THAT AINT GONNA HAPPIN, (Unless someone loosens the hardwear), The chain pulling horizontaly, straight to the front is HUGE, This might be a good place for sum friendly competition,.. T,C, E,J,

Hey maul ratt, try something like this for skidding logs I can pull a 28" X 12' log with my lawn tractor. I made this one for about $70.00 bucks, works great.:clap:

DSCF1512.jpg

DSCF1515.jpg
+1 for you!

That is awesome.. I have a 12 volt winch from years ago I wanted to find something to do with it, this is great! Nice work. I see those hooks at the flea market all the time, I will get me one this year.

Wife is gonna chuckle when she sees this one.

Nice job

Check out the "ATV Logging" Thread, or "Logging my way". I put a crude sketch of our arch. Very cheap to build, go to your local scrap yard for the stub and spindles, the rest can be picked up at a metel scrap yard, or purchased new for a few extra bucks.

The arch is a real plus, very little dirt and you can pull alot more with less strain on your transmission.

I'm no expert, but from my limited experience, the only way to go.

I was looking at different options to drag a long log out of the woods. Does anyone out there know if it's possible to hook a log chain up to a 4x4 truck and drag the timber to a pile? I haven't tried this yet and I don't have a tractor or anything else. Maybe it would help to cut angles on the end of the log so it doesn't get snagged. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I do it all the time,if I can utilize a handy standing tree trunk,Ill throw a strap around as high up as I can get it,putting one end through itself.From this Ill hang a block pully threaded with 5/8 poly.One end goes to the truck,the other has a loop with a metal thimble spliced into it.Attach your chain to this with a shackle.The bitter end of the chain has a hook,snug it around the log,move up the log towards the truck and throw a half hitch around the log with the chain,Make sense?The half hitch will take the pull,more strain,more bite.Poly is cheap,and low stretch,youll have to adjust your diameter needed to what you expect your load is to yard out.Wish I had digital camera for an easy pic.
Take care of your poly(or whatever cordage you settle on)try not to drag it on the ground and the blocks dont like it when you arent watching your rearview mirror and run knots thru them.Put some survey tape on your knots or connections to see.
As has been stated,I almost always do this in the winter,much cleaner.
hope this is clear and helps
ak4195

Tongs

I don't know if you have a tractor (I use a backhoe) but a boom from your 3pt with a chain and a set of log tongs works great for me. I carry the wood right where I want it without getting it dirty.

Cabinman

Cabinman, I wish I would have looked at the answers to the original question. You have a set up kinda like mine. I use a Cat backhoe with a chain and log tongs. Works great

There is a company out there that makes plastic cones to go over the end of your log when your dragging them. That might be a good way to go:confused:

If a person didn't want to buy spindles use old lawn mower wheels and tires. The axel's use standard size shafts. Or if you have the lawn mower take off the spindles ya have. I got 4 on my "Real man size grill" I'm working on. Some farm implements use bolt on spindles. (Super heavy duty) and the wheels are just as heavy built. Not that you need that strenght behind a lawn tracter, but maybe a small 4x4 pickup.

Back