Log cradle for splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc38

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got a log cradle for my 22 ton Huskee. This is a great modification. Cuts way down on the repetitive bending over and picking up. Just split and toss it onto the pile. If you need to resplit, grab it off the cradle, split and then toss on the pile. For those that like to split in vertical mode, the cradle comes off easily so that you can do that as well. :)

I just got the splitter a couple weeks ago. Before, I had split everything by hand. So far, this splitter has been great. Only thing I have found that I don't like is the drain plug to change oil is tough to get at, especially if you got big hands like me.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

Your right about the cradle so much easier on the back.If you have room try putting a nipple in the drain hole and a cap.:cheers:

Got a log cradle for my 22 ton Huskee. This is a great modification. Cuts way down on the repetitive bending over and picking up. Just split and toss it onto the pile. If you need to resplit, grab it off the cradle, split and then toss on the pile. For those that like to split in vertical mode, the cradle comes off easily so that you can do that as well. :)

I just got the splitter a couple weeks ago. Before, I had split everything by hand. So far, this splitter has been great. Only thing I have found that I don't like is the drain plug to change oil is tough to get at, especially if you got big hands like me.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg
nice looking spliter, wish mine still looked that good.
I see the return hose on yours has been moved, mine goes in the top of the tank and rounds drop on it. good to see they corrected that.
where can I get that cradle?

nice looking spliter, wish mine still looked that good.
I see the return hose on yours has been moved, mine goes in the top of the tank and rounds drop on it. good to see they corrected that.
where can I get that cradle?

I have seen them on ebay for sale:popcorn:

I have the 34 ton huskee and I use 2 of the cheap plastic saw horses and small sheet of plywood to make a table. The sheet fits under the beam and rests on the horses just snug dont go anywhere. Works well I have split over 10 cord this year and have not had a problem with it yet. Breaks down and sets up very easy Also not mounted to beam and getting the way when I split in vertical for the large rounds of elm sitting in my driveway

it's about time they moved that return line!

if you can weld or know someone who does,i would make a wing off that craddle that went over that filter assy.

I'm probably going to pick up one of these cradles. I like the quick detach since a lot of times I'm standing on the wrong side of the beam (to keep the tank breather uphill).

Works great

I added one to my I&O and really saves the back. It can also handle a good amount of weight. I load it up and then feed the splitter. If I have someone helping then they just keep loading the cradle and it goes faster.

attachment.php

Had a piece of diamond plate welded to my cradle to keep the cookies from falling thru.

any drilling required or does it just slip under the rail?

There is a “Z-Bar” tack welded to the cradle. You drill 3 holes through the I-Beam and attach with bolts and nut on back side. Then you rock cradle up and down to break tack welds so that cradle can be removed. Z-Bar stays bolted to I-Beam. Cradle just slips underneath it and is held in place by being wedged in between Z-Bar and I-Beam, therefore it only takes a second to remove/replace. It’s a slick set up.

Here's a couple of pictures of my homemade one. I actually have zero dollars in it, all the material I had from other projects. I also got to brush up on my welding skills. Three pins hold it on, it will hold my 180 pounds jumping on it. I believe I get 33% more splitting done in the same time, less fatigue late in the session.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Had cradles made for both sides of my friends splitter. Each one laser cut out of 1/4" and bent with a brake radiused corners and all. Absolutely the cats meow for about $100 for the pair. Same fab shop is making a custom 4 way quick detach splitter wedge for me.

Back