log hauler purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrobinw

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Newbie here. First post.

Congrats on an great site. Amazing wealth of info here for us lurkers. I've been trying to figure out what to get haul large (and medium) sized logs around with. Lookin like I'll probably get one of those Oregon made Arch trailers. That is, if I can round those boys up to answer a few questions and take my order. (I have no equipment to get the trees on or off a truck or trailer).

I'm thinking HUGO so I'll be able to handle that rare 50"+ bigun. TreeGuy said he has a T-40 for his large ones. Anybody have a HUGO and wish they had purchased a smaller one? Anybody have a used Arch trailer for sale over here on the east side (of the country)?

The only other fairly simple option I've wondered about is finding a tilting trailer with winch (car hauler type).

Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

jrw

I have a Hugo, used it before I moved back to the city. Now that I'm here I'm uncomfortable going any distance with a non-DOT trailer.

I got mine ~3 years ago for around 4k delivered. It comes "some assembly required". You will need a site with a fork where the driver can unload. Then you need to put the heavy SOB together. Gopher and I were able to finagle that w/o too much cause for alarm.

If you will be using it for big, long logs then go shell out the extra bucks for the electric winch. The boat winch on the base modle is not really made for that kind of load.

It comes with chians and hooks, but I prefer truck straps to rathcet the load into place.

I really thought the Arch was the solution to all my problems. Got a call from Mark @ FutureForestry yesterday. He doesn't suggest it city/highway driving. So now I'm pack to peg one.

I have read most of the posts that I could find regarding moving logs. Many of the suggestions aren't specific to the size of the log.

Today I have a 10'9", 48" (both ends) red oak all ready for me to pick up. Lets use this as the worst case senario model. I have no equipment to help in getting the log on or off the trailer.

Now, I'm thinking I need a heavy duty (10,000-12,000# axel), 16' to 18' tilt trailer (for cars or farm eqp), and a 10,000 lb wench mounted to the front of the trailer.

Budget $5000

Questions:
Would this setup work for this big log?
What would work better?
Would it be easier to roll this 7000lb log up the side of the trailer?
Would the winch be attached to front of trailer bed or some higher point somehow?
Would a tilt trailer work better for log loading than a dovetail?

Thanks in advance for the help here.

Back