Log lift progress report.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acme0007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I didn't want to hijack Blazin's post so at his request I am postin the progress of my log lift. With a little encouragement from other AS'er and a lot of splitter envy I decieded to add a lift to my Northern Hydraulics unit. So far the welding is complete except for the extra valve mount and maybe some hose guides. As you can tell it goes from the ground up to a bit above the point it's level when it's all the way up. View attachment 218642View attachment 218643View attachment 218644Should have the hydraulics figured out next week.

Are the ports for the hoses on top of the cylinder? If so, will you have enough room to install the hoses? Even with putting a 90 degree elbow on there, it looks like it would be tight, kind of hard to tell exactly from the pics.

BTW, nice job.

Having a log lift is a amazing feature!!
One of them things once ya have it you don't see how ya did it before

Kinda like a tractor with a front bucket!!

Are the ports for the hoses on top of the cylinder? If so, will you have enough room to install the hoses? Even with putting a 90 degree elbow on there, it looks like it would be tight, kind of hard to tell exactly from the pics.

BTW, nice job.

Take a look at his third pic. they are to the side. should work fine.

Well I didn't want to hijack Blazin's post so at his request I am postin the progress of my log lift. With a little encouragement from other AS'er and a lot of splitter envy I decieded to add a lift to my Northern Hydraulics unit. So far the welding is complete except for the extra valve mount and maybe some hose guides. As you can tell it goes from the ground up to a bit above the point it's level when it's all the way up. View attachment 218642View attachment 218643View attachment 218644Should have the hydraulics figured out next week.

looks good. i made mine just a tad wider to handle the strang shaped logs an longer ones but i have lotsa room to play with using a 36" stroke cyl. One thing i see is ur rear mount on the I beam may need to be braced just a bit. the metal looks kind of thin but over all very nice fab job. should provide to be a valuable add on in work savings :msp_thumbsup:

What about a ramp on the leading edge of that lift? Seems like it might make it easier to roll big rounds on. And what did you use at the beam end to attach the cylinder? It looks like some round tube?

Q and A

Wow ! lots of response, everybody like a bit of splitter talk, myself included. Thanks for the shout outs. A couple guys have asked about the cylinder mount on the beam side. I kinda started this project on a whim so I just used things I had laying around. The mount is a chunk of an I beam with a couple pieces of 1/4" welded in to make a sorta bushing. The upper hinge where the table hooks to the beam is angle iron with a piece of pipe welded between the two, then a 5/8" solid rod through that. BTW I think it's 17" wide 28" long with a 12" leg I think, should have made it a bit wider maybe 20" no more.

If that beam tab ever bends or breaks I can jus cut and fab a new one, who doesn't like to melt iron with electricity once in awhile anyway !
Thanks Acme.:rock:

Tip...

If you design your lift mount and your table mount the same and add a second cylinder mount on the opposite side of the beam, you can switch you lift and work table side to side, very handy...

Got er done

Been waiting for some $ to come in so I could buy some more supplies, never enough. Finally got the lift painted and the hydraulics all rigged up. Works nice, not too fast and plenty of lifting power. I think I will have a beverage later and just walk around it and stare.:cheers:
BTW that's some rounds of plum. Can't wait to get it out and really test her.
Acme.

Looks like you did yourself proud. A real back saver for sure. Did you ever figure out your total cost? Thanks for the pics.

Holy cow. That thing got outriggers? That third picture looks to me like the thing oughta flip over on it's side. And it's good that it's slow. To fast and it just might flip the round over to the ground on the other side of the splitter. One last thing. How do you work with that much wood on one lift? :msp_confused:

Looks like you did yourself proud. A real back saver for sure. Did you ever figure out your total cost? Thanks for the pics.

Thanks for the thumbs up. As far as costs go let's figure that out?
Cylinder new 70
Valve new 70
Hoses new 50
metal new 75 still have half of that.
Paint, shop supplies 10

Back not being broken .............Priceless!!!!!!

As far as it needing outriggers, I just loaded it up to test it's lifting capabilities. It's configured so that the motor and hydraulics are kinda oppsite the lift, didn't wobble too much.

Thanks Acme

Latest posts

Back