log slpitter ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazdmc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have posted this over on MBN as well and thought I would put it in here to get as many ideas as possible. I am looking for plans and ideas for making a log splitter. I already have an 8hp Honda engine from an old generator, I have tons of spare metal for a frame and a spare axle from a ford van. I might also be able to get hold of a free/nearly free hydraulic pump and ram from a JCB and possibly also from one of those big hydraulic cutters that the firemen use to cut people out of their cars. Does anyone have some plans/pics etc that would help me out on how to put it together, I already have some ideas at the moment but I think I am trying to make things more complex than they really need to be. Any help would be much appreciated
thanks
daz

daz,
Welcome to AS. The first thing I would ask is what diameter wood do you usually want to split. In my searches for splitter designs around the world I have noticed that Europeon splitters tend to be built for small diameter wood. The wood diameter will often determine the tonnage required and design.

The pump from a JCB will probaly require more HP than Honda engine can provide. A 2-stage Haldex/barnes or MTE pump offer the best combination of speed and pressure without needing a large power supply.

My personal preference for a splitter design is TimberDevil which offers a lot of operator comfort with less effort.

I like that timberdevil in design. It does look as though it would be more egronomic to use. I don't know why but it does. It could benefit from a log lift though.

cheers for the reply, I can't see it being much over 12" diameter and 18" length. I have been told that if my brother and I can find a corner of a field somewhere for dumoing, then the local woodcutters will dump as many logs as we can use. This is going to be a joint project between 3 people, one being the farmer whose land it is, one being myself as I have the metalwork, welder and welding skills, and the other being my brother as he has the engine and trailer for towing the splits. We could of course do it by hand with axes, but for that amount of wood I think we really need a splitter.

cheers
daz

I have posted this over on MBN as well and thought I would put it in here to get as many ideas as possible. I am looking for plans and ideas for making a log splitter. I already have an 8hp Honda engine from an old generator, I have tons of spare metal for a frame and a spare axle from a ford van. I might also be able to get hold of a free/nearly free hydraulic pump and ram from a JCB and possibly also from one of those big hydraulic cutters that the firemen use to cut people out of their cars. Does anyone have some plans/pics etc that would help me out on how to put it together, I already have some ideas at the moment but I think I am trying to make things more complex than they really need to be. Any help would be much appreciated
thanks
daz

just give me the timber & i'll sell it back to you split, my yards out by inveralmond.

Back