Log Spliter Welding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! I had an engineer telling me that vert up was better, but he couldn't explain why. I was so pissed that I told him "Here, here's the helmet and the gloves, you show me." His response? "I've never welded." I told him well then, if you've never welded, and can't explain why you are telling me to weld a certain way, then leave me alone. I've welded parts like this together before for the stress test and they've passed. (worked in a R&D/Testing shop and did a lot of FMVSS testing)

IIRC, at the time we were testing safety chain anchor points/hardware and pintle hooks at 5x the rated load range. Had to test with straight pull back, then vertical, then horizontal.

Last edited:
Ive run tons of 71m on water towers on big projects if you read your numbers and compare to 7018 youll see what i mean those welds hold and no log splitter on earth will deal with the same pressures as the base of a 2 million gallon hydro-pillar

Thanks guys! I had an engineer telling me that vert up was better, but he couldn't explain why. I was so pissed that I told him "Here, here's the helmet and the gloves, you show me." His response? "I've never welded." I told him well then, if you've never welded, and can't explain why you are telling me to weld a certain way, then leave me alone. I've welded parts like this together before for the stress test and they've passed. (worked in a R&D/Testing shop and did a lot of FMVSS testing)

IIRC, at the time we were testing safety chain anchor points/hardware and pintle hooks at 5x the rated load range. Had to test with straight pull back, then vertical, then horizontal.

vert is stronger because a welds strength is in a big part in its heat(why an x-ray test is easier to pass than a bend/break) 6010 is about the only rod truly suitable for a downhill because of its penatration and you can whip and catch the bead and runnin it downhill is easier than rollin dimes lol but for most ppl who weld occasionally a good wire setup is just like runnin a squirtgun

While ver. up is much stronger if you are not working sub frames of 80 story skyscrapers ver. down is fine.

OK, back to the original post.......................I now have access to a Lincoln IdealArc 250. Has DC straight, DC reverse, and AC polarities with a 30% duty cycle. Not exactly heavy commercial but I think this will get the job done.................any thoughts on the welder? Again I will be joining 1/4" I-beam to 1" mild steel plate.

Weldment is liquid steel. Its heavy and will flow down fast as it can fall. Verticle welds you need to dig in the iron and the weldment fills the craters your digging with the electrode. There is absolutly no penetration in downhand welding.

OK, back to the original post.......................I now have access to a Lincoln IdealArc 250. Has DC straight, DC reverse, and AC polarities with a 30% duty cycle. Not exactly heavy commercial but I think this will get the job done.................any thoughts on the welder? Again I will be joining 1/4" I-beam to 1" mild steel plate.

Use 1/8" E7018. Verticle up is 104 amps, and run it electrode positive. Best rod out there. Been running it 23 years.

Latest posts

Back