Log Splitter Beam Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NELOG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm interested in your opinions on an idea about making a log splitter's slide. While most people simply use an I- or H-beam for their tracks, I noticed on a Timberwolf processor that they merely employed two upright sections of 1" steel welded to a single, horizontal piece of 1" steel, on which the push plate slid. IT seems that this would have the same effect as reinforcing an H-beam very heavily, in terms of stiffening the beam. Another thought is just to take and H-beam and leave it so that it would still look like an H from the end, and merely weld the track/slide rail over the top, from top point to top point of the H. this would give you two vertical members to resist deflection of the beam. Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea? Any pictures? Thanks a lot

one thing to keep in mind when considering beams - whether for splitters or skyscrapers is a thing called section modulus. if you are not familiar with this term, here is an oversimplification - as more mass and/or distance to the neutral axis is increased, the higher the section modulus is. i know this is vague. consider for a moment a bridge beam - they are usually tall and skinny with very thick flanges. what this does is put a lot of mass at a far distance from the neutral axis (center dist. b/t flanges in this case), which makes for a gigantic section modulus (but only in one axis). the modulus in the other direction (y-y) is usually pretty wimpy.

what does all this mean for a log splitter? the timberwolf idea that you mentioned will work fine, but if a beam oriented with flanges horizontally was used, a smaller section (smaller size/weight) could be used.

I don't quie understand what you mean by seciton modulus. Are you saying that my idea would work, but it is unnecessary? Is a large or a small section modulus more desirable? Thanks for the thoughts, though.

Yes, therotically it would be stronger because you essentially have 2 webs instead of one. And usually with an H Beam, the top and bottom plate are thicker than the web. It would be a good Idea if you turn the H beam on its side to box the bottom in to help offset lateral movement.

If I get bored today I will draw this up in Solidworks and do a structural analysis and show the results.

sorry for the tardy reply.... what i am saying is that yes, i am sure your idea would work, but COULD be overkill. an "I" beam or "H" beam oriented with the flanges horizontal is a very effective section - hence their use as beams.... your idea would work fine but may end up being heavier and requiring more work to fabricate than an equivalent "strength" i-beam.

in general, whether for a splitter beam or skyscraper beam, your aim is to have the greatest section modulus with the least amount of weight - the most "efficient" member, if you will. of course, this is a bit oversimplified, as when designing structures, there are many other variables - torsion, lateral loads, buckling, etc..

do you have anything earmarked yet for a beam, or are you just brainstorming at this point? if you are planning on using drops or junkyard steel for a beam, i think you'd have a bit better luck finding a W8 or W10 section and cutting it to length than you would finding the palte and welding it all up. not to mention the time involved - cutting a beam to length vs. cutting 3 pcs to length, fitting them up, and welding.....

food for thought

Latest posts

Back