Log Splitter Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkerdogman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend if mine and I are building a log splitter and here are some pics of the build, its not done yet but ill keep the post updated as we go along. The motor is a 20 hp Kohler the cylinder is 4x30 not sure of the pump other than its a borg Warner. The beam is 1/2" thick 12" tall. Every thing has been free all but the cylinder I gave 100 dollars for it.
2012-10-30_18-10-34_961.jpg
IMG950044.jpg
IMG950043.jpg
IMG950042.jpg
IMG950041.jpg

The hydraulic tank holds 6 gallon and the gas tank hold 4.

thats looks awesome and real heavy duty, great job. the only thing im unsure about is a 6 gallon tank for that hp motor and ill assume anywhere from a 16 to 22 gpm pump

the only problem I see is the length of the base for the pusher. Should be longer than it is tall....most recommend height to be 2/3rd's of the length. Looks great and really stout. With that much pump/power, a log lift and adjustable wedge should be in the works.

A friend if mine and I are building a log splitter and here are some pics of the build, its not done yet but ill keep the post updated as we go along. The motor is a 20 hp Kohler the cylinder is 4x30 not sure of the pump other than its a borg Warner. The beam is 1/2" thick 12" tall. Every thing has been free all but the cylinder I gave 100 dollars for it.
2012-10-30_18-10-34_961.jpg
IMG950044.jpg
IMG950043.jpg
IMG950042.jpg
IMG950041.jpg

The hydraulic tank holds 6 gallon and the gas tank hold 4.

Nice job

I was planning on building a smaller one with some old Homatro fire equipment

:rock:

Niel

Nice job

I am planning to build a smaller one from some old holmatro firefighter equipment
:rock:

Gr Niel

We are also unsure of the hydraulic tank but it was free so we areI going to try it and also the pusher plate once we built it we are thinking it should be longer. Part of it came off of another splitter and it was also free so its worth a try. I am sure there will be plenty of changes that will take place once it is running. We will get back to work on it next week after our deer gun season. Thanks for the comments

thats looks awesome and real heavy duty, great job. the only thing im unsure about is a 6 gallon tank for that hp motor and ill assume anywhere from a 16 to 22 gpm pump

====

I read on a hydrauliics site(don't recall which one) that tank should be 1 1/2 times the pump GPH rate. Seems like over kill to me...perhaps on a commerical production application, but I think on a individual use machine thats more then necsssary...jmo....

Ya, 1 1/2 times the pump output for tank volume is too much oil. I've always been taught 1:1 tank capacity to pump output. Depends on a lot of variables, really. Oil just needs time to dissipate some heat and air bubbles.

Look at some of the specs for the commercial splitters like TimberWolf.

The TW-5 has a 22gpm pump with a 15gal tank. The TW-6 has a 22gpm pump with a 20gal tank.

Last edited:
Log splitters ( For the average Joe) don't run long or hard enough to get the oil that hot. The Speeco/Huskee 22 ton has a 5 gal tank and I have run mine pretty hard at times and I could still put my hand on the tank or cylinder without getting burned. It has an 11 gpm pump.

Yeah a guy I work with his splitter only has a 3 gallon tank not counting what his cylinder holds
We'll see the only thing is I am not sure of pump size but it wont be no big deal if I end up having to buy a new one. Both of us need a log splitter as I have a hardy and he burns in a fireplace. After this build we are going to build him an owb out of propane tanks. We really enjoy fabricating and making stuff with what we have. Really looking forward to that build!!

The splitter build is looking good. Do you have info on the cylinder, it looks like a pneumatic rather than a hydraulic cylinder which are designed for much higher pressures. Pneumatic cylinders are seldom rated for over 300psi compared to hydraulic cylinder rated at 3000psi.

The splitter build is looking good. Do you have info on the cylinder, it looks like a pneumatic rather than a hydraulic cylinder which are designed for much higher pressures. Pneumatic cylinders are seldom rated for over 300psi compared to hydraulic cylinder rated at 3000psi.

the cylinder came off of a splitter that a friend of mine had he went with a 5 inch bore. it was rebuilt by a hydraulic shop and it supposed to be a heavy duty one they said to buy it new would cost 400-500 dollars.

A simple radiator from a small car or tranny cooler from a truck would certainly take care of any heat issues...might even be cheaper/easier to source than a larger tank if/when needed.

In most cases heat is not a problem with log splitters. The optimun operating temperature for hydraulic fluid is between 120-140 degrees. This is similar to the temperature of domestic hot water heaters. This is the best temperature range for removing air and moisture from the fluid. Plus the least wear on engine and pump.

pump mount

I look forward to seeing how you mount the pump. I think I have the same motor from a mower that I am going to use on a splitter that I will build someday. :popcorn:

We all love pics! Looks extremely heavy... duty!

I look forward to seeing how you mount the pump. I think I have the same motor from a mower that I am going to use on a splitter that I will build someday. :popcorn:

We all love pics! Looks extremely heavy... duty!

Get any mounting adapter that fits the pump you are using and use a plate to attach/adapt. I did this on mine and it lets you index it where ever you need it. Most shafts on these motor are too long anyway and you'll be cutting it to desired length. Easy to make up bolt circle patterns and transfer to a plate.

MVC-023S_10.JPG

MVC-018S_39.JPG

Here's the link to the page on how I did mine. It's on page 5

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/206143.htm

Back