log splitter for homeowner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trx300man

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone. New guy here. Quick background info and question, then I am gonna do some more searching. I am 38 yrs old. I practically grew up with a chain saw in my hand. My dad did commercial tree work. Once he retired I did NOT follow him into the field. I had a homemade splitter years ago, but it didn't survivesitting in the weather in my cousins yard for a couple of years.

My father in-law and I purchased a outdoor wood burning furnace to heat BOTH our homes with. He wants to buy a semi economical splitter for us to use. He found the Troy-Bilt (mtd,yardman, cub cadet clone ) 27ton with 160cc Honda ( 5.5hp) for $1600 from Lowes and a Swisher 10.5 HP Briggs 28 ton for $1,449 from Rural King. There is also a 34 ton Troy Bilt for about $2300 but I really don't think he is going to go up to the two thousand dollar mark.

I assumed they were somewhat comparable but there seems to be a huge difference in engine size. What is everyones idea on these 2 splitters.

Thanks very much for anyones assistance.:)

I bought a new Troybilt (also goes by White, and, I believe a couple other badges) last winter. Excellent machine, slower than teh 4" cylinder models but still faster than I can keep up (could change that by putting on a detent in both directions valve). I am shearing through locust crotches and knots with it so the 'force' is with it.

Harry K

Troy-Bilt (mtd,yardman, cub cadet clone ) 27ton with 160cc Honda ( 5.5hp) for $1600 from Lowes

That's a huge rip-off. For that price, you can have the Speeco/Huskee from Tractor supply in the 35 ton persuasion. This is a FAR better machine than anything MTD builds.

The downside is, it's made mostly overseas, but then, I would bet the MTD is, too.

http://www.speeco.com/products/?CurOpen=Accessories#Log Splitters,34 Ton

http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoo...-ton-vertical-horizontal-log-splitter-2152382

I don't know anything about the Swisher, so I can't comment. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I've got the Yard Machines unit from the Depot, as you described. 27T claimed, 5.5 Honda. I picked mine up during a 10% off sale for around $1200........ but it was about five years ago. I can honestly say I'm 110% happy with the splitter,as it has certainly exceeded my expectations. We burn a good six cord or so, and I also split a few cord a year for my in-laws. I made one mod to the splitter........ a shelf to hold the chunks as I'm splitting. It has split everything I've thrown at it , including big stringy elm.

Birthday021.jpg

Birthday022.jpg

troybilt

LS27 Hydraulic Log Splitter

27 Ton Hydraulic Log Splitter / Wood Splitter

view product details

Customer Rating:
Customer Reviews: 16
Price: $1,399.99
Lowes London KY used all summer had no trouble with it.

Instead of messing with a splitter what I, and several others do, is cut the rounds small enough so that you just feed them into your OWB. Not only do you save the price of the splitter, you handle the wood less, and get to run the saw more.:greenchainsaw:

I believe the Swisher 28 ton has a 16 gpm pump as opposed to an 11 or 13 gpm pump. The cylinders should both be 4.5" dia so it is going to be 23-45% faster.

Don

I have a 22 Ton 7 HP Swisher that I bought last spring for $875, retail was $1299. It had been setting outside on the dealer's lot for over a year and was faded and rusty. After 1/2 cord the belt that drives the pump shredded. The dealer gave me a new one and I have split 6 1/2 cords of Elm and 3 1/4 cords of Oak with it and have had no problems with it. It has split everything I have I thrown at it, even the green Elm crotches.
I like the belt drive pump because I'm not trying to turn the pump when I'm starting the motor. That will come in very nice when the weather gets cold.
It is American made in Missouri. I let a friend use it to split about 3 cords of Oak and he was very impressed with it.
Only 13 cords through it but I'm very happy with it. For $875 I think it has been a good buy. Cycle time is about 13 seconds which is a bit slow but works good when I'm by myself.
When buying anything, it isn't always the price that counts. The dealer can make the difference between a good deal or a bad one. At this point, I think I got a good deal from a good dealer. It isn't the best splitter for everyone but it works great for what I'm doing, and the price and dealer was right.
Check them out at Swisherinc.com.

After 1/2 cord the belt that drives the pump shredded.

Belt? When I was building mine, I was told that those pumps don't take side load very well. Belt drive was a no-no.

Is the belt pulley mounted directly to the pump shaft?

Ian

The Lowe store has the 27 Troy-built with Honda motor for less than 1400. I bought this unit last year. Have about 10 cords through it. It has developed a small leak in the seal where the hydraulic control lever is. Other than that it has split some big green spruce, some elm some pine and some red fir with only a hiccup.

Hiccup #1 I let it sit with gas in it over the winter. When I went to start it this spring it would idle but wouldn't run with the choke open. Empty fuel tank, add fresh fuel, problem solved.
Hiccup #2 The splitter will also bog just a bit on the really gnarly stuff. It will split it, just not fast.

Other than a descent chainsaw a splitter was my first purchase for processing firewood. They are a back saver, and you can split so much wood in a morning, or evening.

Splitter

I also have the Troy Built 27 ton (MTD) splitter. I found it lightly used on Craigslist for $900. Had to drive into the city to get it, but it looked show-room new!! Couldn't be happier. I also modified mine with a table to hold pieces waiting to be split again. I just recently run 5 full cord of shagbark hickory through it and it had no problem. I do wish it had a honda GX series engine on it like my brothers Timber Wolf, but the lesser quality Honda 5.5 does the job. Definitely a worthy splitter.

Belt? When I was building mine, I was told that those pumps don't take side load very well. Belt drive was a no-no.

Is the belt pulley mounted directly to the pump shaft?

Ian

The pully is mounted directly to the shaft. I haden't heard about side load being a bad thing on these pumps until now. I guess I will wait and see what happens.

I bought the Troy Bilt 27 ton last year from Lowes. $1399.00 12 months no interest or 10% off. I took the 10 % off. Went back the next week and noticed the same splitter now had metal rings around the hydraulic hoses. Mine didn't, asked the guy from Lowes, he called his manager, got 10 more percent off. Glad I went back in...

Split 6 cords last winter...works great..

i have the 27 ton troy built. Its ok, three families are using it so i want to say its splitting 20 full size cords a year. its been six years or so.. Its showing its wear. The ball bearings for the autoreturn have gone bad. The fenders have gotten pretty crushed, and the log holders bent the first day.

someone, at some point, drove it into a rock and knocked the pump out of proper agligment, so we ahve to replace the transfer device at the pump every year or so. THere is a light frame gaurd to protect the pump but that got smashed also.

if you can afford it, you should go a little bigger, better...

Take a look at the Brave line of splitters, they are made in Illinois and are the entry level of Iron and Oak splitters. I have a 26 ton model with the 8 HP Briggs Intek engine and have been really happy. I wanted one with a Honda but I have been very pleased with this new model Briggs engine.

I bought a Northstar 22 ton from Norther hydraulics earlier this year. And have put 20-25 cords of oak threw it this summer. And have not had a lick of trouble with it. And has split everything we have thrown at it.

We did modify it a little. Added a log tray on the motor side. Just so you don't have to keep picking up the peices that fall on the ground. I guess I do have one issue, thats fuel consumption. I go through a tank per cord roughly. I guess not to bad but wish a tank would go further. But it creates a good point to stop and take a break!

Looks like they changed this model. Now its derated to 20 ton and moved the control and a little cheaper too.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316905_200316905

:clap:just bought a 35 ton huskee with a 15sec return still works faster than me .anyone have a store bought catcher so far more than meets my demands not sorry at all about the purchase :clap:

Latest posts

Back