Log splitter hieght?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonestacker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys building splitter mine is going too be 36" to the top of the rail, my
Dad seems to think it is too high. i built the trailer part out of a 12 foot camp
trailer and as you know the axel is only 6" off the ground so i fliped it over to
give a higher ground clearance for out in the bush! what do you guys think?
this is a pic of what it looked like on the trailer.

the leaf springs will be a lifesaver when towing.

good move.

make the height of the splitter so that you aren't bending over constantly. even a slight bend after a few hours will kill your back.

I modified my splitter to raise the bed and it is much easier on the back. Mine is 32" and I would not complain about 36" if I had it. FYI, I am 5'9" tall. If you are taller, modify accordingly.

I just had mine chopped apart and redone to raise it. Haven't measured it but I was aiming for just below waist level. Will come out about 30-32". Still haven't got it back together - the motor went to the doctor for a workover this afternoon.

Harry K

I just had mine chopped apart and redone to raise it. Haven't measured it but I was aiming for just below waist level. Will come out about 30-32". Still haven't got it back together - the motor went to the doctor for a workover this afternoon.

Harry K

hey guys building splitter mine is going too be 36" to the top of the rail, my
Dad seems to think it is too high. i built the trailer part out of a 12 foot camp
trailer and as you know the axel is only 6" off the ground so i fliped it over to
give a higher ground clearance for out in the bush! what do you guys think?
this is a pic of what it looked like on the trailer.

I built mine with the top of the beam at 33'' from the ground and its perfect for me.

Mine was really low for years, good because I could get some huge chunks on it without having to "pick" the whole piece, I could just tip them on. Bad though, because you're constantly bent over. A few years ago I raised it to just below waist height, added a hyd. log lift too. Should have done it years ago.

Absolutely right on everybody. Even if just slightly low, that little bit of bend will kill you more then a larger one. I'd make it so that you are standing straight and can can work it. I just rolled mine up on a pair of those little oil change ramps. It's perfect but apain to put in verticle. I just wait till I've got allot of big rounds and then roll it off the ramps for a verticle session. I don't take the splitter into the woods with me like some guys. I just saw to size in the field and bring it home too split.:greenchainsaw:

Hey guys just finnished up the trailer part of the splitter, heres some pics!
tomarrow i will flip itover and start putting it all together.

Latest posts

Back