Log splitter hyd tank mounting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAYINTOMBALL

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm building my own splitter (even after all the posts from sawinredneck not to). I am mounting the tank I bought from Northern Tool to a piece 3/16 plate which is mounted to my frame. I was wondering if there was any advantage to placing a piece of rubber or something between the tank and the plate to keep from there being metal to metal contact. The tank mics 14ga. and I was just wondering after years of use would there be a problem with a hole rubbing. May sound dumb but I was just wondering. Pictures to follow. Thanks Ray :monkey:

Air

Well I'm building my own splitter (even after all the posts from sawinredneck not to). I am mounting the tank I bought from Northern Tool to a piece 3/16 plate which is mounted to my frame. I was wondering if there was any advantage to placing a piece of rubber or something between the tank and the plate to keep from there being metal to metal contact. The tank mics 14ga. and I was just wondering after years of use would there be a problem with a hole rubbing. May sound dumb but I was just wondering. Pictures to follow. Thanks Ray :monkey:

I like the rubber pad idea, I think id space the tank half to an 1 inch or so, to allow some air to circulate around the tank, mabe use strips of rubber lining angle iron saddlles, Good Luck on your splitter, E,J,

I would make sure it is painted well before bolting it tight. As long as there is no relative movement you will not wear through the steel. The paint is to keep it from rusting as you have laminated it to another piece of steel and water will wick it's way between them and rust the steel.

It is probably a good idea to avoid having the tank tight to the plate and spacing it up a couple of inches so you can clean the crap that may accumulate around / under the tank.

Don

Blackdoggy

Unless he welds the tank down 100% around to seal it up water can get between the tank an the 3/16" deck and it will rust the steel.

I have a friend that has a little bulk delivery tank with a hydraulic auger system mounted to the back of a 1ton. It had long flat fenders that went from front to back of the bin and the hydraulic tank was bolted down to the fender. It did rust out the bottom of the tank.

Don

Back