Log Splitter Recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianosaur

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I installed a wood stove 4 years ago and both my wife and I have fell in love with it. I have had tree guys dump free logs on my property that I split up for burning. I currently have an inexpensive p.o.j. $350 splitter that takes forever to do its job.

I would like to invest in a better heavy duty splitter that would simplify my labor. I see many types and various price ranges. I figured I'd spend between $1000 and $2000 on a splitter. Is a $2k splitter twice as good (speed, efficiany, quality, power) as a $1k splitter. Is it worth the extra grand? I'm not opposed to spending the money ...I just don't want to waist it.

I will easily burn three or four cords of wood this winter.

What is a good splitter for me under $2000?

The biggest step up is when you get to a splitter with a 4 or 6 way wedge. Now you get 4 or 6 pieces with each push of the ram.
I think you need to spend closer to $2500 to get into these new, but there is a good used market with splitters, maybe ask around at some tree services if they know of any good used splitters for sale, they really last forever.
You also want to look for features like a platform that can lift heavy logs for you as the ram moves, automatic ram cycler, and two speed hydraulic pump to move the ram faster. As you compare splitters, the ram speed is critical.

I would base your splitter on the kind of wood your going to be splitting. If tree guys are dumping wood off it probly is low grade hard to split material.

Splitters equipped with only a 4-6 way wedge work great for straight grained woods that split easily and are relatively knot free, like oak, cherry, ash ,Sugar maple ect ect. Stringy woods like Hackberry, Elms, Populars, Willow are best split with a vertical, horizontal type splitter with the highest tonnage you can afford.

Splitters with the 4-6 way wedges don't like knotty, crotchy,twisted, stingy type woods, they jam in the wedges and won't split the wood clean. With a vertical, horizontal, single wedge type splitter you can bust a crotch easier and faster than using a 4-6 way wedge type splitter.

If you can find a good used TimberWolf splitter, this would be a good choice, they don't make a vertical splitter, but they make a good horizontal unit with the 4-6 way wedge as a slip on option, then you have the best of both. The T-2 I have has been a good machine.

Larry

Last edited:
I'll agree with what Mike has said, and add this. If you have already been splitting for 4 years, you know what you like and would want on a splitter. Go for the features you want, like a log lifter. You will only be getting older. My advise is buy as big as you can afford, and then add a little. You will never say "I wish I had a smaller machine".

Ax-man said:
Splitters with wedges work great for straight grained woods that split easily and are relatively knot free, like oak, cherry, ash ,Sugar maple ect ect. Stringy woods like Hackberry, Elms, Populars, Willow are best split with a vertical type splitter with the highest tonnage you can afford. /QUOTE]

What kind of splitter does not have a wedge?????? I'm truly lost on this one!

Vertical or horizontal, they all have a wedge.

Newfie,

You caught me on that one :dizzy: , didn't proof read.

I went back and redited that post does it make a little more sense.

Larry

Ax-man said:
Newfie,

You caught me on that one :dizzy: , didn't proof read.

I went back and redited that post does it make a little more sense.

Larry

It's all good! I was really worried that I was really,really drunk when I read it. :p

TW-7 comes w/ the box wedge designed for making wood for those prepack bundles they sell for 5 bucks a piece. Timberwolf makes nice machines but really pricey. If I'm gonna spend 11K on a splitter/conveyor combo, I'd rather just bite the big one and get a processor for 38K.

Latest posts

Back