log splitter troubles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soupster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the process of trying to fix a splitter. Its a older "panther" splitter with a new briggs 5hp motor.It worked for a bit then crapped out.Not going in reverse without a push .It will go forward with both stages but unable to split a log.I just replaced to hydrolic pump yesterday with a 11gpm pump(same as what was on it ). After drilling out rusty allen screws and wasting my day its doing the same thing.My question is what do you think is the problem the piston or the forward /reverse valve?

if you get any debris in the valve it would do that. i agree with timberwerks. give it a good cleaning and seals. should work ok.

relief valve

Usually every hydraulic system has a relief valve to return the oil to the tank if there is an over load. They usually have an adjustment screw or knob. If it is stuck open with dirt or you turned it out during your "troubleshooting" it acts like a "short circuit" in the system. Could be the "directional valve" but you need to tap in a gauge, to be sure of your pressure, that seems TOO LOW. Also the "forward motion" uses the full diameter of the cylinder (max force) and has more force than the reverse, who's surface area is cylinder diameter, less rod diameter, resulting in less force. So if your pressure is really low that explains why you have to push start it in reverse. Mike

are seals a common thing to find

Is cleaning the valve a hard thing to do? Also if the seals are shot in the valve are they still easy to find?I will take a pic to find the pressure relief. I did adjust a screw on the valve that adjusted the valve on how it held when going in reverse.

Back