log splitter wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydevil

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I posted this in the "want to buy" area of "the tradin post" forum. I know most of us don't look in there often if at all, so I figured I would post it here. I hope nobody minds. Here it goes.

I am looking for a used, but decent running splitter in the southeast PA area. I live in West Chester, and am willing to drive a bit to check em out.
No real specifications, except, it must be gas driven, no mtd brands, and nothing over $800. I don't care about age as long as it is in good working shape. I can fix leaks and welds and don't expect perfection at that price range. Let me know what you have and where. Thanks guys, JD

Now let me add this. I say no mtd brands because from what I read here, they may or may not be worth buying and I don't want to take that chance. I say I can fix leaks and welds, but am not looking to overhaul a complete unit. I mean, I wouldn't mind rewelding a broken axle bracket or eventually repacking a slightly leaking cylinder, if the machine operates ok at present, things of that nature.
Perhaps you are all laughing at me and my expectations. I myself think this is a looooong shot, because I searched ebay, looked in all the local papers and swap magazines, and check rons swap shop on wcoj.com every day, and don't see anything that fits the criteria. However, I figure if there is somebody who knows somebody who ownes a splitter like I described and wants to part with it, or someone who is looking to upgrade,, they will be here. Hopefully, they live close to West Chester PA.
Thanks, and please don't think I am nuts
I also wouldn't mind building a bare bones splitter, if anyone want's to share a proven plan with me:) I read a bunch of posts by people who made them, and can see the pos and neg sides to building your own. Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited:
I read your post and offer this advice. I to looked at ebay for months and saw everything was either over priced or you had to drive miles to get a splitter and then had to take the owners word for its condition.

I know also you have a spending limit of $800, here is what I did. I went to my local TSC which happened to be close to 50 miles and saw they had splitters from $999 up to $1200 or so. I went in and found the guy who took care of the splitters and we talked. I said is there anything you could on the price and he said he had a 10% off ticket good for one item. So I bought a $999.95 splitter for $899.95 plus tax and I have a brand new Huskee 22 ton vertical and horizontal with a 6.5hp Briggs engine. I figure it will last me the rest of my life if I take care of it and change the oil.

Just thought I would offer an option to buying someones junk and having to put in more money.:cheers:

Shipper

Last edited:
I'll sell you my MTD for $800. Bring your own wood and try it out. See if you can stump it. Purrs like a kitten. Don't sell yourself or the older MTD brand short.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses so far. Fuzzy, I have nothing against the mtd but I do hear a lot of complaints. I know who makes a good engine (and which models are the most reliable), pumps valves and cylinders, but how they are all put toghether can make a big diff from one machine to the next. I figure your offer is half kidding half serious, so thanks for the offer. Where are you in Jersey? I come from Blackwood. Another thing Fuzzy, how long have you had that machine? How many hours roughly would you put on it?

I agree with Fuzzy. Unless you are getting into a commercial splitting operation, even the new MTD units are BUILT well. They may not have the best parts on them, but the structural fabrication is just fine.

I was serious and kidding at the same time. I'll sell it for $800 and I want you to try it first. A friend just bought a TW5 (?) and offered it's use to me. It is 8 years old, maybe 7, and splits 3 cords a year. It has paid for itself. Located in Hillsborough 08844. I have rounds to be split, so you don't really have to bring your own. LOL

My MTD was fine

I still have an MTD splitter. It split over 30 cords last winter. I have had it 3 years. It still works great but I upgraded to a commercial unit for speed. Wish you were closer as I would take $700 for it.

FuzzyOne: I'll sell you my MTD for $800. Bring your own wood and try it out. See if you can stump it. Purrs like a kitten. Don't sell yourself or the older MTD brand short.

that's not a bad price for that machine. if i was looking for one i'd probably check it out.

but, if you were going to list it for sale, i'd put a $1,000 price tag on it and accept a best offer.

Yeah, I was just offered $800 for it today locally and I told the guy I need to think about it. The more I think about it, it's a lot more convenient to split at home than at my friends yard. Still not sure.....

Yeah, I was just offered $800 for it today locally and I told the guy I need to think about it. The more I think about it, it's a lot more convenient to split at home than at my friends yard. Still not sure.....

you can't build one like that for under $1,000...unless you got most of the parts free. that guy who offered you 800 is probably camped by his telephone.:D

I asked around about a splitter and just happened to hit the right co-worker. I got an old homemade splitter for $300. The oil was white from having so much water in it. The engine is an old Wisco with a rope/pulley starter, (no recoil). The cylinder leaks just a little. And it stalls if I'm not careful. But it split about 5 full cord of oak for me this fall, including some 2 1/2 foot rounds that I had to cut in half with the saw before I could lift them. All I did was change the oil in the motor and the hydraulic tank. Keep your ears open, there are deals out there.

Back