log splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevohut

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
For a home owner who splits logs that are 12" and under what size splitter is the most economical that will split the wood easily. Mostly soft woods, maybe some oak and maple. THNX

My suggestion would be the home depot/lowes mtd models. But try to find one w/a honda motor (not that the briggs are that bad but long term you wont be dissapointed). What ever your price range affords tonnage wise.

I just purchased a Huskee 22T log splitter from Tractor Supply stores. (A 1000 store chain in the US.) It is made, ("assembled") by Speeco in the USA and was affordable. They make two bigger ones but all of the reviews and research clearly pointed me to this one and said no need to spend the extra $$ on the bigger ones. I bought it on sale in early December 09 for 999.99. It has a B&S motor and I just split my third trailer full of Hickory today. It starts on the second pull ever time since it was broken in a bit and runs well with moderate fuel consumption. I haven't written a review on it yet but I will very soon. I absolutely love this piece of equipment. It is the first one I've used but I have a lot of mechanical stuff and although I am a novice with many things talked about here I do recognize and appreciate good equipment. I think you'd be very happy with this item. It is better made than any I saw at Lowes or Home Depot. Good luck

Renting tn your application may be best

Check what's available in you area. Around here a T'Wolf TWP-1 can be rented for $75 a day. If you have 2 guys working you can move a lot of wood through that splitter in a day.

If you decide to buy, I'd agree with the Speeco 22 ton machine. If you look at one of the MTD offerings, (Yard Machines, Cub Cadet, Troy Built, Craftsman, etc), be sure it has been checked against the recall list.

Take Care

While I'll readily admit it wasn't my first choice, I bought a Chinese "Blue Max" 20 ton splitter at Home Depot today. They are selling them for $999.99 & for that $, I would not have looked twice. I would have bought a 22 ton @ TSC, better machine.
The one I bought had been marked down to $899.00 as a return for a leaking hose. I was there last night & the sales guy stated he was marking it down to $699.00 & at that, he had my attention. I left without it & thought that if it was there this AM, & they would sell it for $599.00, I would get it.
Long story short, I offered & the Manager met me halfway @ $650.00, sold!
It is what it is, a cheap unit. low speed tires, fair workmanship but, it split every thing I needed to split. So far so good.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Pretty much anything should do it. If you're not looking to split huge volumes of wood on a regular basis, I'd look out for a used machine for a couple hundred bucks, flush the fluid, and be off to the races.

Timberwolf TWP1 + a few minutes after work = piles of splits!
DSCF1778Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Nice lookin machine

I will tell you that for that price I would have bought yours instead of mine, $350 is a lot of money, like 1/3 less!!! It looks pretty nice in the pic you sent. Mine has 45mph tires also so it's no better there. I think you made a good buy. I'll bet you can sell it a year or two from now for what you paid for it or maybe a profit. So why rent one??? The rentals I looked at at Home Depot were beat to crap and they wanted $90 per day. some of the reviews I read said that the guys bought new only after having such bad experiences with the rentals that they had rented. Plus, I can split on my own schedule. Which is very relaxed! Good luck and I hope your splitter gives you a lot of enjoyment.

I just purchased a Huskee 22T log splitter from Tractor Supply stores. (A 1000 store chain in the US.) It is made, ("assembled") by Speeco in the USA and was affordable. They make two bigger ones but all of the reviews and research clearly pointed me to this one and said no need to spend the extra $$ on the bigger ones. I bought it on sale in early December 09 for 999.99. It has a B&S motor and I just split my third trailer full of Hickory today. It starts on the second pull ever time since it was broken in a bit and runs well with moderate fuel consumption. I haven't written a review on it yet but I will very soon. I absolutely love this piece of equipment. It is the first one I've used but I have a lot of mechanical stuff and although I am a novice with many things talked about here I do recognize and appreciate good equipment. I think you'd be very happy with this item. It is better made than any I saw at Lowes or Home Depot. Good luck

I have this same unit and have split seasoned oak and hickory up to 20 inches in diameter. It will sometimes hesitate on the tough stuff but has yet to fail to split it. Something that big takes several splits but it does good.

The only problems I have had with the briggs motor is the carb. Replaced it last summer and it would not start yesterday. Stabil in the gas and run it out when stopping for an long period. Had to take the carb apart and blow all the orifices out again. Started right up. I just came from buying an inline fuel filter for it. Mine didn't have one. Not sure if the current model does or not. It would be the first thing I would do to any of these if they don't come with a fuel filter.

Thanks for the heads up on the inline fuel filter

Thanks for the heads up on the inline fuel filter. Mine does not have one but will real soon. I did weld up a simple three sided aluminum shield and attached it with three bolts to protect the hydraulic oil pump that hangs down below the engine. I figured it looked like something that I would eventually damage it was a simple safeguard. I am also going to build a shield for the oil filter which hangs in a precarious position as well.

I have a friend who assembles these at Tractor Supply and he said he had not seen any come back or heard any body complain. Good unit!

Thanks for the heads up on the inline fuel filter. Mine does not have one but will real soon. I did weld up a simple three sided aluminum shield and attached it with three bolts to protect the hydraulic oil pump that hangs down below the engine. I figured it looked like something that I would eventually damage it was a simple safeguard. I am also going to build a shield for the oil filter which hangs in a precarious position as well.

I have a friend who assembles these at Tractor Supply and he said he had not seen any come back or heard any body complain. Good unit!

Ah ha! I bought mine at Tractor Supply and had to take it back. I took it to the farm, unloaded it, filled it up with gas, checked the oil, pulled and pulled. I finally pulled the carb and float bowl was full of water. Most stores store these outside. I got it running, split my wood, loaded it up and took it back. I told them to order me one that hadn't sit outside for a year. They did so I am happy.

Some one probably got a deal on that one but, I knew it had sit outside through two hurricanes.

For a home owner who splits logs that are 12" and under what size splitter is the most economical that will split the wood easily. Mostly soft woods, maybe some oak and maple. THNX

I bought the troy-bilt 27ton at home depot for a little over a 1000. there is a user on here called indiansprings that has the same one, and he uses it commercially 5 days a week and has well over 1000 hours on it. i've talked to him quite a bit about this splitter. he has done oinly basic maintenence on it. it appears this is a well built machine. i love mine.

Back