log to burn-hour ratio question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
i have a question: how many logs per hour do you guys use on an average?

assuming an average size piece of split wood in a fire already burning, say in a 24 hour period. how many do you figure you use? also, figure on keeping the house at the same temperature..or there abouts.

this question applies, of course, to inside fireplaces or inserts, not to an OWB.

yea, i figured as much.

i guess the efficiency and the type of burning apperatus has to figure in as well.

i thought of that question from another post where someone said they got 4-5 hours burn time "per load". i didn't ask what "perload" meant...is it 2 logs? 5? 10?

is burning one log-per-hour efficient? or how about two logs per hour?

I doubt your question can be answered effectively, my little insert burns with air open ~1/8, 4-5 hours/load which is 4 logs (wedge) 5-6" widest part split size but only 14" long.
Where as my big stove will burn as long as 18 hours with ~1/8 air open, 5 logs (unsplit) ~8" diameter 18" long.
It will all depend on the stove, kind of wood, size of wood, etc, etc, etc

One log per hour could be really cookin'.

attachment.php

Awsome LOL :clap:

What's that log, about 10 cord? :)

It looks to be about 10' x 20' on average. Oops, that works out to about 5.2359833333333333333333333333333 cords. :)

Last edited:
Large open fireplace

We do not heat with our fireplace. It only is there for fun and to warm the living room.

I have to put about 3 split pieces on it per hour. That is if they are the larger chunks approx 6-8". If I put the smaller 3-4" stuff in it , I will have to put 5 or 6 per hour.

I burn about 3 8" half rounds 20" long in 8 hrs and sometimes have coals enough to start another fire when I get home ~16 hrs after I load it. I burn all Doug fir.

Latest posts

Back