Log Trailer for Road Use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPS. LLC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I purchase about 90% of my logs for firewood. I get a very good price from a few local tree companies, but often run into supply issues. I have access to a lot of free logs, but would need a better way to haul it than my dump trailer.

What do you guys think of this trailer? Does anybody own anything like it?

http://www.hud-son.com/logloaderstrailers.htm

Are there others like it out there? I'm thinking it could open up new doors for me to pick up logs for small tree companies, deliver logs for firewood, etc. It also looks like the grapple swivels 360 degrees, so a F450 or F550 could be loaded with logs as well as the trailer.

I'm not sure of the cost, advantages and disadvantages. One thing I do know, it would only cost $12 a year to register, and insurance is not necessary. Sure beats buying a log truck! I'm curious to hear your opinions.

How much is that thing? Insurance may be cheap... but damn I can't imagine the cost.

Our Road Trailer uses a standard 2" ball for ease and common set up.

10,000lbs is an aweful lot for a 2" ball. I know thats not tongue weight... but you still have to PULL all that weight, and help stop all that weight. I'd be inquiring about a 2-5/16" ball.

I got my grapple log trailer from Brownwood Sales (Tom Brown) in Columbus OH. HudSon equipment is notoriously cheaply-made. Call Tom at 419-746-9472 & tell him Eric referred you.

Looks expensive, I'd want one that had a 14,000 lb capacity. You wouldn't have to license and haul that much, but al least you would know it was strong. I have a CDL, so it wouldn't matter to me. It wouldn't be practical in my area, but would be nice to have! I have a 20 foot skid loader trailer rated at 12,000 lbs. I won't haul that much, but nice to know I could. I'd love to have a dump, though, like my wood cutting partner does.

How much is that thing? Insurance may be cheap... but damn I can't imagine the cost.

I called Hud-son today. When I asked how much they were, I knew it was going to be bad when he asked me, "How much do you think one of these goes for?". I guessed around 20k. He said around 26k for the options that I wanted, 2 5/16" coupler and 12 or 14k weight rating...it's still steep for me right now.

I got my grapple log trailer from Brownwood Sales (Tom Brown) in Columbus OH. HudSon equipment is notoriously cheaply-made. Call Tom at 419-746-9472 & tell him Eric referred you.

I googled them and I saw they were a Hud-Son dealer. Who makes yours? I was looking online, and Hud-Son was the only manufacturer that I found that makes a road trailer with grapple. If I can be nosy, roughly how much did you pay for it and how do you keep it busy? My theory is I could use it for my firewood, haul logs for small tree services, haul logs to other firewood guys, etc. There is a paper mill close to me that takes all sorts of softwood as well. I have a source of free wood, but using my dump trailer is a pain for less than two cords of logs for the distance I have to travel. Also, I have to leave my Bobcat in a less than desirable area.

I think I would take my chances without a CDL and would want a 12k or possibly a 14k rated trailer to make it worthwhile, or I could just get my CDL...

we use a dump trailer & bobcat, but usually it's out with the tree crew. There is a guy in town that uses a crapple trailer. He made his. All he does is go around town picking up logs from everyone. He hauls pine mostly for lumber. Urban Logger. Trailers are very expensive, but worth it.

You can find a real log truck with a picker cheaper then that trailer setup. hat setup looks light. It would be very easy to over load.

Scott

I googled them and I saw they were a Hud-Son dealer. Who makes yours? I was looking online, and Hud-Son was the only manufacturer that I found that makes a road trailer with grapple. If I can be nosy, roughly how much did you pay for it and how do you keep it busy? My theory is I could use it for my firewood, haul logs for small tree services, haul logs to other firewood guys, etc. There is a paper mill close to me that takes all sorts of softwood as well. I have a source of free wood, but using my dump trailer is a pain for less than two cords of logs for the distance I have to travel. Also, I have to leave my Bobcat in a less than desirable area.

I think I would take my chances without a CDL and would want a 12k or possibly a 14k rated trailer to make it worthwhile, or I could just get my CDL...

He sells trailers made by LDS (?) 14K capacity, pintle hitch, winch, dumpbed, log bunks, Majaco loader, ramps, etc. They're $26K now. I use mine hauling my firewood logs, logs for small mills, and mostly in place of a loader to feed my processor. There are several other companies that make both on- and off-road log trailers with loaders. Its an incredible savings in time and effort.

I purchase about 90% of my logs for firewood. I get a very good price from a few local tree companies, but often run into supply issues. I have access to a lot of free logs, but would need a better way to haul it than my dump trailer.

What do you guys think of this trailer? Does anybody own anything like it?

http://www.hud-son.com/logloaderstrailers.htm

Are there others like it out there? I'm thinking it could open up new doors for me to pick up logs for small tree companies, deliver logs for firewood, etc. It also looks like the grapple swivels 360 degrees, so a F450 or F550 could be loaded with logs as well as the trailer.

I'm not sure of the cost, advantages and disadvantages. One thing I do know, it would only cost $12 a year to register, and insurance is not necessary. Sure beats buying a log truck! I'm curious to hear your opinions.

I bought the Wheeler Jr by Metavic this spring and man does it work nice, really strong and the controls are very smooth too. I can put 6 ton on this trailer and you can barely feel it behind the truck. I have the goose neck set up in the box. I was in the same situation as you until I got this trailer.
I started up this spring and I'm close to 600 cords [face] done.

I bought the Wheeler Jr by Metavic this spring and man does it work nice, really strong and the controls are very smooth too. I can put 6 ton on this trailer and you can barely feel it behind the truck. I have the goose neck set up in the box. I was in the same situation as you until I got this trailer.
I started up this spring and I'm close to 600 cords [face] done.

How much does a cord go for in your area?

They only go for about $125 here so there's not a whole lot of money in it. I don't really sell firewood, but from time to time I let a cord go and get a bit of coffee money for my troubles. :D

:cheers:

i can buy log trucks with a real grapple for 1/3 to 1/2 that price all day. i stopped and looked at a GMC brigadeer triaxle log truck w/grapple yesterday for $7000

i can buy log trucks with a real grapple for 1/3 to 1/2 that price all day. i stopped and looked at a GMC brigadeer triaxle log truck w/grapple yesterday for $7000

You're forgetting about tags, insurance, fuel and upkeep.:cheers:

baileys sell a log trailer,grapple and power unit. all separate and all with various sizes. i was thinking the same as you having a dedicated log trailer but right now price it too much.wound up buying a small equipment trailer and i'm in the process of welding mounts for log bunks. trying to make the trailer pull double duty. logs and equpiment.good luck, harold

You're forgetting about tags, insurance, fuel and upkeep.:cheers:

You did mention insurance didn't you. That will make anyone think twice. If it is 26,001 lbs or more don't forget the CDL. Also, go price the tires that fit on those $7000 trucks and then price the new ones and not the re-caps.

I have the grapple that baileys sells. Purchased it 5 or 6 years ago. I mounted it to a car trailer. It will haul about 7,000 lbs. It works well for me. I have mounted 4 ft. sides and a 5 ft. rear gate on it after this picture was taken.
http://arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41908&d=1166499794

How much space does the grapple take up? It doesn't look like it would fit on my dump trailer tongue. That looks like a great idea. I could consider another dump trailer, and see if I could get one custom made that would allow more room on the tongue for the grapple, then it wouldn't be limited to just hauling logs. How much weight will the grapple pick up? Most dump trailers have stake pockets, maybe they could be custom made to hold treated 4x4's instead of 2x4's. This setup would be heavier, but cheaper and more versatile.

Latest posts

Back