Log Truck Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Wallace

Collegeville Tree
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking at getting a log loading knuckle boom truck this winter (probably a medium duty international, only going to load 3-4 large logs at a time) and had some questions. If I were to buy the truck used and mount a knuckleboom, how much would the installation be? I'm thinking a 5-7 ton knuckle. Also what kind of grapple? I've used pincers before, but they're dangerous and difficult to work with. Below I put a picture of something similar to what I want, just needs steel posts on the sides. Thanks.

Attachments

• internationalknuckle.JPG
    internationalknuckle.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 21
5-7 ton is quite light duty. The loaders we have on the trucks are 10 ton and have had logs it couldn't lift.

I think 5-7 ton should be enough, my father had one years ago and rarely had removals where it wasn't large enough, and even in that situation they would just cut them to a smaller size. I need something that can fit into tight back yards, so I don't want anything too big.

I picked up this old truck a few years ago. It was previously used by a railroad. I gave $17,000 for it. Had a 20' dump bed, extendable boom with 30' reach, rotating, bypass grapple. Handled 4000# at 20' extended reach. I can not remember what it would handle up close to side of truck. I shopped for 2 ears before I found one I considered "affordable". The photo shows the type of grapple that works well for logs, limbs, and brush.grapple with log.JPG 'reach.

I picked up this old truck a few years ago. It was previously used by a railroad. I gave $17,000 for it. Had a 20' dump bed, extendable boom with 30' reach, rotating, bypass grapple. Handled 4000# at 20' extended reach. I can not remember what it would handle up close to side of truck. I shopped for 2 ears before I found one I considered "affordable". The photo shows the type of grapple that works well for logs, limbs, and brush.View attachment 538582 'reach.

Thats a nice deal, where did you find it? I've been looking online and haven't been able to find a site that sells medium duty trucks with knuckle booms, and the few I've seen were WAY too expensive.

I searched Craigslist all over the U.S., using the Key words, "Grapple truck". Dealers never seem have these trucks at reasonable prices.

There are several search sites that will search all Craigslist postings across the U.S. The trucks I found during my searches, in my price range, were all from private owners. I got mine from a tree service guy way up in the Arkansas mountains. I drove it almost 400 miles home in an ice storm/blizzard. That was quite an experience.
Jeff

There are several search sites that will search all Craigslist postings across the U.S. The trucks I found during my searches, in my price range, were all from private owners. I got mine from a tree service guy way up in the Arkansas mountains. I drove it almost 400 miles home in an ice storm/blizzard. That was quite an experience.
Jeff

Well you do what you have to do lol. I'd definitely do that for the right price. What website searches all craigslist postings?

Back