Log unloader ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redheadwoodshed

Freebird
Reaction score
Howdy everybody.I'm looking for some ideas.
I get my logs from a nearby crosstie mill.They load them for me with their k-boom, but it takes me 3 hours to unload when I get home.At present I have a snatchblock hanging in a tree that I back the trailer up to.Tie the logs to the cable that runs through the snatch and pull on the other end with my truck.Sometimes it works good, last time the cable broke.
I recently came into possesion of a long 24 inch long cylinder 3 1/2" dia. and another one about 8" long and 2"dia. along with a pump, but no valves.Was thinking of rigging something with the long cylinder as my lift and the short one as the swing.All of this mounted at the front of a trailer that I would also have to build.Has anybody seen any pictures of a critter that sounds even remotely similar.I know there are some good fabricaters here, so please feel free to share some ideas.Thank you all in advance>

Any chance of some pictures please?

It would be great to see a picture of the trailer loaded, near where you are currently unloading. Otherwise, I'll have a stab at it and ask whether you've tried pulling the trailer onto loading ramps on one side only so logs could roll off the other side of the trailer?

It would be great to see a picture of the trailer loaded, near where you are currently unloading. Otherwise, I'll have a stab at it and ask whether you've tried pulling the trailer onto loading ramps on one side only so logs could roll off the other side of the trailer?

Sorry, no pics.I'm offshore right now, a long way from the woodshed.It's just a snatchblock hanging in a tree with a cable run through it.I pull the logs off the end of the trailer because it's an ordinary utility trailer with rails, so the bottom layer of logs won't go off the sides I have these cylinders and pump and would really like to build a trailer with a jib arm on it but I would be open to any ideas.

First off I'd say, get a bigger cable.

You don't say if you using the block to double the pulling effort or just to change the direction of pull. the block needs to attached to the load so it can move with the load. The block needs to be able to move with the load to increase you pulling ability. If you need to change the direction of pull then you need to add a second block. Hope this makes sense...

First off I'd say, get a bigger cable.

You don't say if you using the block to double the pulling effort or just to change the direction of pull. the block needs to attached to the load so it can move with the load. The block needs to be able to move with the load to increase you pulling ability. If you need to change the direction of pull then you need to add a second block. Hope this makes sense...

Yes, it all makes sense.I am going to use 1/2" next time and 2 blocks.But my goal is to use a hydraulic set up in some manner to make unloading easier.One idea I was kicking around this morning was a sideways dump trailer since they put the logs on longways.Just be able to unload on 1 side, but that wouldn't be a problem.

I move a lot of logs - my MO is to bring my skid steer to a cutting site to load 12-16' logs onto my trailer. I then leave the SS at the cutting site until I am done which means I have to unload the logs at home by hand.

I use a peavy or cant hook to roll the logs off the trailer by hand - very fast and relatively easy. My stakes are steel - they pull out of the stake pockets on the trailer pretty easily. Much safer than hoisting the logs and I can roll some freaking HUGE logs that way (ones that I know are in excess of 2-3K lbs each).

No fender on the trailer - they would just get crushed. I roll the logs over the tires which protrude about 6-8" over the desk.

One thing to watch for is where you stand and how the load will sift as stuff rolls.

Anymore these days when I bring home log length loads I plan ahead and lay down rollers. I use round pressure treated fence posts cut the same width as my trailer,and right before the first log gets dropped in the trailer I lay five of em in the trailer.

After the logs get layed in the trailer, I whip out my cordless screw driver and drive a few blocks in front and back of several of the rollers, drop the tailgate on the trailer back in (its just a 2X8 set into pockets at the rear) and head home.

Once I get home, I remove the tailgate, unscrew the blocks around the rollers, and hook a heavy cable to several of the bottom logs and then to a nice big white oak with a several layers of burlap to protect the tree. Drop the truck into 4wd low and floor it, and nine times out of ten the whole load comes right out of the trailer and hits the ground. All told it takes me less than fifteen minutes to unload a 16 foot trailer loaded out to the max 7000 pounds of log lengths, and has proven time and again to be the fastest way to unload the dang thing.

On the odd occasion that just the bottom logs pull out and leave the rest on the trailer, I just repeat the whole process, and have yet to have to redo it more than once.If you have a small load and enough cable, I often wrap the cable around the entire bunch before hitting the gas.

I used to use my small portable Warn winch in the same fashion, but got tired of hauling each log off one by one, and one day realized that with the help of a few rollers I could pull the whole thing out in one shot. After that, it was easier just to hook the whole thing up to the tree and drive off leaving the whole thing behind than rig up the winch.

now that I think about it, I used the rollers before on our steep hill, but after a narrow escape I dont use that method any longer. I would park the truck on the steep hilll behind my shop, unscrew the blocks, and back up a bit and hit the brakes and the entire load would often slide right out.But one day the whole thing nearly ran me over while I was unscrewing the blocks so I opted for flatter ground and a tree.

Thanks all, these are good ideas, I use a peavy to roll the top layer off but I have rails on my trailer, and I have been useing 2 sweetgum poles for rollers but maybe I need to add a few more because they get all sideways and I can seldome pull the whole load at once.They are usally 30" and up dia. logs.That still leaves me with a couple cylinders and a pump laying around.I am a firm believer in that old addage Keep It Simple Stupid, and maybe that's what I'll do.I'm planning on building another trailer.Maybe I'll just build it where the bunks extend over the wheels like a regular log trailer.

Would love to hear any more ideas.Glad to see there are others who are doing it similar to what I am.

One thing to consider if you build a crane is tipping the trailer. You'll likely need to add some fold down outriggers to prevent being able to inspect the bottom of the trailer from a standing position.

One thing to consider if you build a crane is tipping the trailer. You'll likely need to add some fold down outriggers to prevent being able to inspect the bottom of the trailer from a standing position.

I like the way you put that,:smile2:Yes, I had some trailer jacks in mind for that.

If you are going to build a trailer with the sole purpose of hauling logs - I believe that I would go with a side tilt bed. Build the bed higher than the tires so the logs don't build up around the trailer when dumped. Just one dudes opinion.

find a automotive shop who does a lot of hub bearings... get some used hub bearings preferably matching pairs and weld 3" well casing pipe to the hub face then make brackets for the trailer mount... simply bolt them to the trailer and you have some heavy rollers to pull logs off trailer...if you use three or four depending on length of trailer it should work as good as a boat trailer.:rock:

I drag em off with a tractor....I like the side dump idea though...

Sounds lime you work in the oilfield...maybe you could come up with a few lengths of well casing and put a set of rollers in the bed of the trailer...stub frame the trailer and fit a hydraulic cylinder to the tongue...tilt bed roller trailer...much as for loading and unloading skid units for offshore rigs...

It would be alot easier to built or adapt a truck crane to the trailer than to build a knuckleboom...fellow over on forestry forum built a knuckle...did a nice job too...but I would go with the truck crane and spend the rest of the time moving wood or otherwise making money....

Yup here is an Idea but I cheat:laugh:

069.jpg

I unloaded this load with this!

001-7.jpg

:hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry seriously I thought of something like you mention but have not made it for my trailer. Another thing I thought about was a gin pole set-up on my pickup if you make it [please post pics and tell us how it worked!

I drag em off with a tractor....I like the side dump idea though...

Sounds lime you work in the oilfield...maybe you could come up with a few lengths of well casing and put a set of rollers in the bed of the trailer...stub frame the trailer and fit a hydraulic cylinder to the tongue...tilt bed roller trailer...much as for loading and unloading skid units for offshore rigs...

It would be alot easier to built or adapt a truck crane to the trailer than to build a knuckleboom...fellow over on forestry forum built a knuckle...did a nice job too...but I would go with the truck crane and spend the rest of the time moving wood or otherwise making money....

Yea, I work in the oilfield, but casing is kind of hard to get on a helicopter.Barely did make it with the cylinders.It makes me sick what they throw away out here!I'm kinda leaning to the sidedump idea myself and rollers certainly would make things smoother.

Yea, I work in the oilfield, but casing is kind of hard to get on a helicopter.Barely did make it with the cylinders.It makes me sick what they throw away out here!I'm kinda leaning to the sidedump idea myself and rollers certainly would make things smoother.

I may be thinking wrong but it seems side dumping logs would tweak the frame and springs on the loaded side quite a bit. The swing boom idea is what I was thinking of doing or gin pole on truck!

I may be thinking wrong but it seems side dumping logs would tweak the frame and springs on the loaded side quite a bit. The swing boom idea is what I was thinking of doing or gin pole on truck!

You may be on to something there.A swing boom was my original idea with one cylinder for lifting one for swinging.Be able to stack them up like that,too.Sometimes I get a lot of logs, so I spend time on getting them when I can and sawing and splitting when I can't get any logs.
I was thinking if I built it where I could only unload to one side.I could mount the pedestal in the opposite corner forward on the trailer.Oh, yea, I'll only be pulling this trailer with my tractor.No high speed road trips for it.The mill where I get most of my wood is only about a mile, and if I pull the trailer with a tractor I don't have to worry about tagging another trailer or any hassle with the Law.

well??? what'd ya do???? lets see pics....come on post em up....:laugh::laugh:
too hot to cut . so ya got time to post pics while in the a/c...lol

Latest posts

Back