log vs split revisited

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A while back I posed the question about what takes up more room, rounds or split. Many of you were dead nuts on when you said that it will grow as it is split. I cut and stacked 8 rows of rounds (12" avg pine). I drove posts at 16' x 48" high 8 rows and stacked it carefully, not going overboard, but good, at as close to 48" high as poss. then split said wood, row by row, putting it right back in the same row and the results were the height grew by 10 to 12 inches in each row! Thanks for everyones input, I would not have taken the time to do this if it were not for everybodys input!! Not I am satisfied!!:givebeer:

Told you so

See we do know a little about fisics here. LOLYes the spelling was wrong intentionally

now, what is the differen e in volume between stacked and thrown in a pile? Seems like about 30% more to me, but never measured.

I do know a big pile in the trailer looks pretty feable after all the work of stacking in the shed.

kcj

now, what is the differen e in volume between stacked and thrown in a pile? Seems like about 30% more to me, but never measured.

I do know a big pile in the trailer looks pretty feable after all the work of stacking in the shed.

kcj
Man have you got that right. I pulled three full trailer loads in this weekend of red and white oak, split and stacked it yesterday. That trailer was so full I almost had stuff spilling over the sides, but after stacked I wondered if someone came by in the middle of the night and drove off with a couple of pickup loads.I got a total of 5 cords, but it sure seemed like I should have had close to 7!

same wood as used for measurement, in a 5 x 10 trailer 4' high thrown in is a card and a third, as I measured it. Looks like a tone of wood till it is restacked. Measure it in the trailer it is just at 200 cf, stack it decent at cust house, it measured 160 cf, just what we took out of the stack that I started with at the begining of this thread. I hate shrinkage!!

same wood as used for measurement, in a 5 x 10 trailer 4' high thrown in is a card and a third, as I measured it. Looks like a tone of wood till it is restacked. Measure it in the trailer it is just at 200 cf, stack it decent at cust house, it measured 160 cf, just what we took out of the stack that I started with at the begining of this thread. I hate shrinkage!!

So does my wife!

Harry K

Latest posts

Back