Loggers buying tops for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWFISH

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My neighbor is having 40-50 trees taken for logs(white oak) and they are going to buy the tops and additional trees for firewood. He did not want to sell the trees but he needs the $$$$, they are giving a average of $75.00 per tree for the logs and then a whole whopping $5.00 a face cord for the tops and smaller trees. I about shat myself when he told me this, is it just me or does it sound like he is getting bent over?? I tried to tell him that the 2 of us could do the firewood part of it and sell the wood to make a lot more money, but he needs the money now and can not wait to sell it. Has anyone ever heard of this practice and if so what kind price tag was attached?

Do you know the name of the company?

I've had a guy stop by my place and make some offers,after the second time I told him that the trees were worth more to me as firewood than what he was willing to pay.

I think the last time it worked out to $85 per tree,but he would leave me the tops.

My neighbor is having 40-50 trees taken for logs(white oak) and they are going to buy the tops and additional trees for firewood. He did not want to sell the trees but he needs the $$$$, they are giving a average of $75.00 per tree for the logs and then a whole whopping $5.00 a face cord for the tops and smaller trees. I about shat myself when he told me this, is it just me or does it sound like he is getting bent over?? I tried to tell him that the 2 of us could do the firewood part of it and sell the wood to make a lot more money, but he needs the money now and can not wait to sell it. Has anyone ever heard of this practice and if so what kind price tag was attached?

Around here most loggers buy the tree, period. Most also just leave the tops and the ownership reverts back to the landowner when the date the trees are to be harvested by comes and goes.

When I did my bush 2 years ago I was offered $8 a face chord if I pulled the tops to the field and $5 a face if they did the skidding.

$5 a face ($15/cord) is a real good deal for the owner. Around here firewood logs loaded onto the buyer's truck are getting $10/ton (about $20/cord). I'm giving $5/cord for tops, deadwood, and blowdowns- we do the skidding, loading and hauling. Delivered firewood poles are bringing about $80/cord. Alot of places we get the wood for "free". Firewood here was going for $120-$150/cord delivered:censored:, if it were $300 it would be a different story. I'm hoping to double my output this year so I can show a profit:dizzy:

I dont know how far spread it is but around here saw grade trees are worth more for firewood than lumber and firewood is cheap too. In otherwords timber isnt worth much right now. I wouldnt sell any marketable timber right now unless I was despirate for money.

It must be bad here too. I saw one of our local logging companies clearing fence rows with a harvester for firewood and saw logs.

I give the land owner $5 a face for tops. That's really good for them. Tops really aren't worth much to loggers or landowners. Saw logs are only bringing $150 a thousand at the mill. Than's not much money. How big are the white oaks? Good white oak is bringing $1 a board ft at the mill around here. If your pockets are deep enough you should offer him the same deal.

Scott

The Tops I can understand being $5 a face cord(since they are buying the logs) but from what I understand they are going to be buying additional trees just for firewood at that same price. He is estimating that they will be buying 100 face cords of standing trees that are not large enough for "logs". All the other trees that have been bought for logs are 30"-40" dia. and are going to used for Railroad Ties. I told him that I would give him the same money for the firewood and he told me that he had already signed a contract with the logging company that gives them first right to all firewood. Once they are out of the picture I may be able to get some from him, but for now I have to stay out of the picture.

tie lumber pays 230-260 a thousand. If any of that white oak is good enough to kake staves out of they aren't paying much for it. He should have someone grade it and make sure they are not jacking him over.

Scott

Back