Loggers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dneiger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to direct this question to Mange, in 1980 I was lucky enough to go on a trip to Finland, Sweden, and Norway with Husqvarna. Having lived in a town in Michigan where the economy of our town was based on logging and pulp cutting I was surprised at the differences between our logging standards and yours. As an example as I remember your forestry workers were required to put in a certain period of time working in the forest before they became confirmed loggers, almost like an apprenticeship for our skilled trades, there were also restrictions on how many hours they were allowed to work each day, certain time periods to prepare their tools for the next working day and other government rules. Is it still that way or has it changed. It may be interesting for some to compare the different ways. Here in Michigan for example if you can buy a saw and some ppe you are a logger, It has gotten better but not much.
Dave

I will try and write as clear as possible.

Here you go to trade school for 3 years to be a logger. 1) 20% practical. 2) 40%. 3) 55-70% practical. After that you work a year and then do quality test. Hopefully you are a logger then.
The schools here has wide trainings, most machines as harvester, cranes, log wagons, chainsaw, planting stuff. They get to test all, and learn. There is a 4 year period of work and same tests if you do not want to go to school.
Most students have work after finished study's.
This is an extensive education, with everything regarding the industry is represented the first year.

There is a multiple of laws regarding work hours, I am not familiar with all, but i can find out if you like. To remember all of these are for the safety of loggers and property's. In general for loggers it is 35 hours/week then 2 day rest. These rules can be bent a bit, like if you work 6-7 days you get 3-4 days rest. But no more than 45 hour a month, or 8 hours/day. All safety equipment available is worn (no exceptions), the employer is the one to enforce this is done. There is checks regularly, and those who do not use the safety gear is sent home. As are the ones who are careless/dangerous.
I can look in to these rules better as well if you like.

Anyone here can bye a saw, but the logging company's, as well as the forrest owners are bound by law to use certified loggers or do it themself.
Some wood company's even specify what bar oil to use, all loggers are using Aspen I doubt anything else is approved.

Since the hurricane here in south Sweden, there has been a lot of Hillbilly's in the woods, and the controls are hard. If you are under 18 and have less than 3 years experience as logger you are not let loose in the woods with fallen trees.
There has been a few that had "cheep labor" to go beside the harvester, all has been sent home, or hurt.
there has fallen a lot of wood here. About 6 years total harvest, fell down in 30 hours.

There is a lot to write on this topic, ask and I will do my best to get the answers.

Wow thats weird!
Around here your a "wanna be logger" if you got a saw and a dozer/skidder.
they typically work enough to afford beer and pot then they take the rest of the week off. take off when the weathers crappy and dont go back to work for a few days after it clears.
Then theres the guys that work from sun up to sun down, got 2 skidders, knuckle boom and a couple road tractors. Might take a day off it its muddy. they are considered loggers.

There is a few wanna be loggers here, but they won't come out in the woods, If they do and the employer gets cought.........
He will never do it again, and the byers will demand that their crews do the logging.
To keep in mind is that forrestry here is a bit different from yours. We do most logging with harvesters. After that the logs are picked up and transported with one of thease (see pic) to nearest truck road.

Cool, you guys have those cool lookin scania rigs over there. I like the style of them Scania trucks, the R100 series is pretty cool. I want one, jsut to play with poeples minds here.

I like the nose protector that came on the smaller later Homelites and on the current Echos.&nbsp; In fact, I've drilled a series of holes all around the bar and installed them everywhere along it.&nbsp; Not only does the saw <i>never</i> kick back on me, but the chain stays sharp almost indefinitely.

Glen
If you need any more of those, just let me know and I will send you some. I have a box of over 50 that I acquired in one of my dealer buy outs. I have no idea why anyone would save them. Come to think of it, I still have them. Hmm.
Later
Dan

Lobo said:
Mange, are loggers forced to use something like this item for safety ?

http://www.safeguardventures.com/

No this is not used.
The Government and many loggers use the "right hand chain brake" instead.

OSA.
For many years Scania and Volvo was the only thing considered here, but now there is a few Mercedes, MAN and Renault.
I think you can say that Scania, Volvo and Husqvarna did more for this country individually Back when they were independent, than all put together today.
Scania-Vabis was an incredible company.

What does Scania mean????
What does Scania-Vabis mean????

Last edited:
Here is a tip.
First it was called Vabis, Then Scania-Vabis, Saab Scania, and now just Scania.
Vabis stands for: Vagns Aktie Bolaget I Södertälje.

Something like Vagons inc. in Södertälje.

glens said:
I like the nose protector that came on the smaller later Homelites and on the current Echos.&nbsp; In fact, I've drilled a series of holes all around the bar and installed them everywhere along it.&nbsp; Not only does the saw <i>never</i> kick back on me, but the chain stays sharp almost indefinitely.

And it's impact on cutting performance is negligible, right? :D

I forgot to mention that you need to install the biggest pair of dawgs you can find.

Yeah, sawtroll, on page 2.

Latest posts

Back