Logging Pics In My Time Away From AS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great summary. I run a 648D D/A, and it too will pull whatever I can get into the grapple if it's limbed / topped. I have found hitches with tops on that made it rear up on the back tires.
I have never used a single funtion grapple, but I guess it would only limit you a minor amount. I don't think I'd buy one over a D/A personally.

I wondered about those dozered roads in the pictures. Was that done just to eliminate the mud?
If I tried that here I'd need a 345 Cat excavator and a D6. Then I'd be shot by the landowner.
Why don't you run chains? If you think it pulls now, load the front tires with Beet Juice and put rings / stud chains on.

Buttons as in the round things on your shirt? Not familiar with the term. Ron

They used to make ladies buttons out of sycamore. My father in law's a retired log cutter from TN, that's where I heard the term.

S L . thats an execellent sumary. 8-10 trees an hour makes you a good above average faller. As I guess you are select cutting thats even better as I think select falling is quite abit harder than clearcut.
my logging production is so bad that I don't keep track of it, too depressing.

O T . what is Beet Juice? ?

S L . thats an execellent sumary. 8-10 trees an hour makes you a good above average faller. As I guess you are select cutting thats even better as I think select falling is quite abit harder than clearcut.

Rigging rats like to ##### about the fact that every isn't laid perfectly down the hill.......I wonder if an inability to see leave trees is a requirement to set chokers?

Just what it sounds like, Tramp! It's the de-sugared juice from beets.

LINK TO SOURCE MATERIAL.

Comparing Types of Liquid Tire Ballast

So after thinking about it and considering the reasons to ballast your tires, you might find yourself wondering what liquid makes the best ballast. There are a few options available and depending on your climate, budget and access to some of these liquids in bulk quantities.

Water
Water has been used as ballast inside the rear tires of tractors operated in warmer climates for years. In geographical locations where freezing occurs, an additive is necessary to prevent the water from becoming an ice block inside the tire. Ballast that does freeze inside the tractor will make those tires unstable and general operation of the tractor unsafe. Water is the least expensive form of liquid ballasting and weighs 8.3lbs per gallon.
Advantages
•readily available
•no cost
•safe to use – non-toxic, non-flammable
•easy to install into tires
Disadvantages
•not suitable for cold climates

Calcium Chloride
Calcium chloride, CaCl2, in powdered form can be mixed with water to produce a liquid that will resist freezing up to -50F, depending on the strength of the concentration. Calcium chloride weighs about 11.5lbs/gallon mixed, so more ballast weight is achieved in the same volume, allowing a heavier ballast. This type of liquid ballast is a highly corrosive mixture so care must be taken in handling this product. CaCl2 should be installed into tubes regardless of whether or not the tire on the tractor is tubeless. Without being contained in a tube the mixture will rust the rim flange area right out.
Advantages
•easily obtained in large quantities
•high weight/volume ratio (almost 40% more than water alone)
•very high freeze resistance
Disadvantages
•care taken when used – corrosive mixture
•must be installed into tubes – extra cost
•if installed without tubes corrosion/rust of the rim will occur
•puncturing a tire filled with CaCl2 will spray rust-causing mixture everywhere, damaging sheet metal and vegetation

A typical 50lb bag of calcium chloride with inset image showing powder consistency.

Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze
Antifreeze, mixed 50/50 with water, and installed into your Kubota’s rear tires, will provide the same amount of weight per gallon as water and will resist freezing to approx -40F. Ethylene glycol antifreeze is classified by Canada’s Environmental Protection Agency as hazardous waste after it reaches the end of its useful life. Care must be taken when disposing of this type of ballast – and in the case of a tractor tire, there will be a lot of mix to deal with.
Advantages
•high freeze resistance
•safe to mix – non-flammable but is toxic if ingested
Disadvantages
•hazardous to the environment, animals and people – care must be taken regarding its disposal
•could get costly if your only source is 1 gallon jugs at a Walmart

Propylene Glycol Antifreeze
Propylene glycol is known as a non-toxic or people/animal friendly antifreeze. Besides its antifreeze properties, it is actually used in many cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, shampoos and as a food additive. Dow, who manufacturers 35% of the world’s supply of of propylene glycol, reports that in the United States, 22% of production is used for antifreeze or de-icing. When installed into your tires as a ballast in a 50/50 mix, expect similar properties to ethylene glycol, high freeze resistance with ballast weight similar to that of water alone. AMSOIL makes this type antifreeze available by the gallon or 55 gallon drum.
Advantages
•high freeze resistance
•safe to humans, animals and vegetation, non-flammable, non-toxic and biodegradable
Disadvantages
•more costly than plain old toxic ethylene glycol – sources we used, quoted prices of 33%-120% more per gallon

Windshield Washer Fluid
Washer fluid, installed right from the jug is freeze protected to about -20F and provides about the same ballast weight properties as water does. Washer fluid has some of the same chemicals in it that antifreeze does, but at milder concentrations. Disposing of gallons and gallons of washer fluid, as in the case of tire ballast, would require care.
Advantages
•low cost
•adequate freeze resistance
•no mixing required – use as is, non-flammable but is toxic
Disadvantages
•hazardous to the environment, animals and people – care must be taken regarding its disposal

Methanol
Methanol is highly flammable and if you decide to use this product it must be mixed with water to make it so you do not blow yourself up while mixing it, installing it, or driving your tractor with it in there. Depending on strength of mixture, methanol and water is good to around -15F temperatures. We are not recommending the use of methanol and water because of the danger – but it is an option available for tire ballasting.
Advantages
•adequate freeze resistance
Disadvantages
•extremely flammable
•mixing required with water

Beet Juice
Beet juice, a liquid byproduct made from de-sugared sugar beets. This food grade product is available in the US under the trade and brand name, RimGuard. This liquid weighs about 30% more than straight water and resists freezing to about -35F. Best of all, it will not solidify until the temp drops to -50F. Natural, non-corrosive, safe to the environment and humans. If beet juice is available in your location, we believe this your best bet – safe to use and provides extra ballast weight.
Advantages
•high weight/volume ratio (about 30% more than water alone)
•very high freeze resistance
•anti-rust properties
•a natural product – environmentally friendly and safe
Disadvantages
•may not be available in all locations

Polyurethane Foam/Flat Fill
This ballast method is essentially a run-flat polyurethane fill that is injected into the tire through the valve stem. Two liquid components are pumped into the tire and they react with one another so that 24-36 hours later, you are left with a solid rubber core – the air inside the tire is completely displaced. The term “foam” is a bit misleading – the core is actually very much a black solid. It is sometimes called foam because air bubbles are injected into the mix to control the density of the end product.

This ballast method obviously adds serious weight gains to each tire and also has the nice benefit of eliminating flat tires and associated repair costs. Because the tire is run-flat there is no risk of corrosive/toxic ballast spraying all over your tractor and scorching vegetation if you do spring a leak. You will have to find a dealer near you that performs this service (Brannon Tire in Stockton, California for example).
Advantages
•high weight/volume ratio (about 20-50% more than water depending on type of fill)
•cannot freeze
•tire is run-flat
•simple – have it done once, ballasted forever
Disadvantages
•may not be available in all locations
•high cost – prices range around $0.95-1.25 lbs injected, or $300+ per tire
•tire must be cut off rim after tread wears out – best for new or nearly new tires
•if performed on steering tires, heavy duty weight gains will put more stress on steering components
•no air in tires to absorb humps and bumps so you will get a very rough ride – could be jarring for long distance travel

That is awesome SiLLogger! I would deffinetly make the drive for that loader too, Do you have pallet forks on it ? I use a brush grabber end on our loader. Keep up the good work. You have a nice production going on there. I am jealous!

This is all select cut, none if it is marked, it is all by diameter, i carry a diameter tape in my pocket, 18" dbh is usually about the smallest we cut. normally 20", so spot a tree, if it is close measure it and cut it, if its small go to the next one. In a good patch of timber you don't have to go far, on a thin one you may have to do a bit of walking. that is why the 8-10 is pretty much a straight through year around average. I don't cut much marked timber, it just takes too much time, i cut over 4000 trees a year, if i had to mark all of them that is all i'd be doing.

That is awesome SiLLogger! I would deffinetly make the drive for that loader too, Do you have pallet forks on it ? I use a brush grabber end on our loader. Keep up the good work. You have a nice production going on there. I am jealous!

That is the kicker.. it was the original owner, i got all the original paperwork, original bill of sale, the JD bucket that was on it, AND a set of JRB forks that i don't know if they had even been put on the machine.

Last edited:
Is the bluff you winched your dozer up down on the southe end of the bottoms at Shoal Creek? The bluff itself looked familiar and a box canyon and USFS land bordering up makes me think that's where you were.
I've been in that area quite a bit, my dads mother actually grew up in a little farm house (no longer there) maybe 100 yards west of that bluff. My other grandmother grew up on the northwest side of that same bottomland area along the muddy.

Can someone fill me in on the JD 540G II Cable skidder?

I am curious what the G stands for.. obviously not Grapple.

Congrats on the nice looking operation! Do you do all your own cutting?

If you don't mind me asking - how are you cutting that nice white oak and walnut and getting your 8-10 trees an hour? Some kind of hinge-cutting, chase cutting, spur cutting, flat cutting, etc...?

:chainsaw:

Nice job SI..nice job you got yourself a nice little company going there and nice setup..only difference with me is we run cable skidders franklin and timberjack. And its been awhile since i've been on too because i dont really have time. I've been really busy cutting right of ways for gas pipeline and logging alot sometimes 7 days a week. I hope you dont mind me adding some pics too but here is what i've been up to....View attachment 242563View attachment 242564View attachment 242565View attachment 242566View attachment 242567

Can someone fill me in on the JD 540G II Cable skidder?

I am curious what the G stands for.. obviously not Grapple.

Congrats on the nice looking operation! Do you do all your own cutting?

If you don't mind me asking - how are you cutting that nice white oak and walnut and getting your 8-10 trees an hour? Some kind of hinge-cutting, chase cutting, spur cutting, flat cutting, etc...?

:chainsaw:

the G is just a model designation, started in the '70's as a 540, then, 540A, 540B, 540C, 540D, 540E, skipped F, 540 G, 540 GII starting in '99 i believe, 540 GIII '02 if memory serves me.

8-10 trees an hour is a long running average, cutting trees, like that walnut and white oak you may only cut 4-5 trees an hour, some of those trees you'll burn just about a tank of gas putting them on the ground. and other hours i'll cut 12-15 trees, that is why the 8-10 is just an average of day in day out.

walnut and white oak like that is not what i cut straight through every day, and im glad for it, because then it would not be special, and wouldn't be worth the money that it is, therefore it wouldn't even be picture worthy, lol.

For the most part i do all my own cutting, i have a guy running the skidder, and another guy that is a bit of a floater, he cuts a few trees, basically because i own/run everything there are times in which i can't be cutting timber, (marking lines, looking at timber, running parts, getting fuel, marking logs, running the loader, coordinating trucks, loading trucks, maintenance, etc-i could stay busy and never even step in the woods) i brought on another guy to a few months ago to pick up a bit of slack, but i'd say i still cut the majority of the timber, i just can't do everything, lol.

as far as cutting technique, that all depends on the tree, lay, and what needs to be done, but for the most part i leave the two corners holding, alot of times i set one corner and walk around it if i can get away with it, if not i set it up with a trigger, whatever works that is not gonna damage the tree and will lay it out to the best of my ability.

Last edited:
Nice pictures man! Looks like a lot of the wood around here. Keep em comin! 8-10 laying out and topping in a select cut is pretty reasonable. Like you said sometimes its 4-5, sometimes its more like 15. I'd say I average 6-7, but thats with buckin and pulpin in the woods. There are a lot of variables in select hardwood cutting. You making just logs or firewood/pulp as well? Nice operation.

Nice pictures man! Looks like a lot of the wood around here. Keep em comin! 8-10 laying out and topping in a select cut is pretty reasonable. Like you said sometimes its 4-5, sometimes its more like 15. I'd say I average 6-7, but thats with buckin and pulpin in the woods. There are a lot of variables in select hardwood cutting. You making just logs or firewood/pulp as well? Nice operation.

i don't chase pulp/firewood too hard, but if it is somewhat readily available, "feasible to get" i'll go for it while topping. we don't have a whole lot of market for it, so i'm pretty picky as far as that goes. most the it i just use for firewood and haul home with my gooseneck dump trailer and supply my family and friends with firewood. i've considered getting a commercial firewood splitter or processor but that would just be another thing that i'd have to keep track of, and i got enough the way it is.

i don't chase pulp/firewood too hard, but if it is somewhat readily available, "feasible to get" i'll go for it while topping. we don't have a whole lot of market for it, so i'm pretty picky as far as that goes. most the it i just use for firewood and haul home with my gooseneck dump trailer and supply my family and friends with firewood. i've considered getting a commercial firewood splitter or processor but that would just be another thing that i'd have to keep track of, and i got enough the way it is.

Everyone who lives out in the country up here burns firewood so it is pretty good buisness. 8 ft sticks- 12 cords on a truck and pup and off they go. The pulp mill pays a touch better for hardwood pulp, but the difference plus some goes to the trucker for the long haul. Firewood cash is nice to have. I sell to a lot of guys who process wood and sell it to convienence stores/grocery stores etc. Thats a whole different ball game. 8' straight sticks are as far as I go, but chasing it too much will kill overall production. I learned that one the hard way.

Latest posts

Back