Logman Tenon Maker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive looked at those myself,pretty cool.
i may be better off with the big pencil sharpener drill-attachments...id have to setup that and my router outside where i usually do that kinda stuff..

if you're going to do rustic stuff only inside the shop or make a little area near it at home it'd be good i think...

rockler or woodcraft has an online video showing it in use. go check it out'

I have actually been thinking of making one

of those. I started one a while back but it got put on the "Round-to-it" list. There was an article in a woodworking magazine about these and dowels but I cannot find it now.

Lee Valley also sells them that go on the drill.

05j4101s3.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=42299&cat=2,2180,41007

I have one. It's works but like tribalwind said, you need a router to use it. Then you need to sand off the, how do I say, the rough stuff so you can get a smooth surface. Wish I had a pic to explain but I don't. Those other pencil sharpener things work better. More expensive. And they aren't perfect either. My recommendation is try it. When you know exactly what size tenon your going to be using the most buy the pencil sharpener kind. That would be a real good combo. I am open for more questions if you have any. I have made dozens of tenons with it and beside for the extra work involved, actually think I need to have it.

tribalwind said:
ive looked at those myself,pretty cool.
i may be better off with the big pencil sharpener drill-attachments...id have to setup that and my router outside where i usually do that kinda stuff..

if you're going to do rustic stuff only inside the shop or make a little area near it at home it'd be good i think...

rockler or woodcraft has an online video showing it in use. go check it out'

I saw the pencil sharpener things a while back in a rockler catalog. The part that scares me is the idea of the drill binding while you have it locked down, or in a clamp. With a good sized drill, you'd break your wrist!!! Maybe I'm being over-cautious.

You've got me thinking now; I make plexiglas aquarium filters--I could pop one of those out in a couple hours if I had the guides to fit it to. Put in the Hitachi M12V....that little set I got has a cove bit somewhere.... Hmm......

Now I know how I'm going to finish my walnut crotch slab tables!!! (next winter when its dry enough to work with!!!).

Hey Adrpk, can you post some pics of the work you've done with it?

aquan8tor, if you build one let me know! Maybe I could talk you into sending one up this way...I've got a 3 1/4 HP router that'll eat sticks for breakfast.

BTW, on the drill twisting thing, I saw a guy almost snap his arm and bust all his knuckles on wall framing drilling a hole for a plumbing vent with a hole-hawg. This guy wasn't a small dude either...That drill had some serious power!

My brother bought the wrist snapping tenon makers. The problem, unlike the logman, is getting the branch started. If you used the logman then the pencil sharpener then you got it going.

I, on the other hand, logman the branch then use my belt sander in a vise to make the tenon smooth. It is more work and also can be less accurate. But I have managed.

Mac, I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. I have some legs in my shop but I don't remember if I sanded them yet. If I sanded them I'll try to logman something this weekend and post the pic.

Could you give me dimensions of the square guide pieces?? Not that I'll get around to it this weekend--I've got exams through next week, but I'll get around to it soon enough. I think that this deserves something a little thicker than what they have in the video---maybe 1/2" cast acrylic stock. I've got some scrap that will work just fine from a kitchen aid display that I got off an appliance delivery guy. Its got writing on it, but it'll fry.

Daniel, I know a guy that did just that same thing with a bosch rotary hammer drill on the plain drill setting--those things are scary powerful. I've got a 3 1/4 router too. Gotta have power to do plastic stuff. I haven't even touched it in almost a year since I moved, but I used to make a couple filters a month to support my coral "habit". Also, I can't publicly condone the copyright infringement of any product for anything other than personal use--that would be illegal and is a no-no.....I don't want to get fined for selling something publicly that remotely resembles someone else's product.

you dun need them fancy pencil sharpners eh....me pappy sez if you can't make furniture with a whittling knife, you'd best not do it and go sell dresses, yes sir! whittling knife is all you need!

kn100.jpg

SRT-Tech said:
you dun need them fancy pencil sharpners eh....me pappy sez if you can't make furniture with a whittling knife, you'd best not do it and go sell dresses, yes sir! whittling knife is all you need!

ya' gotta add that tool to your sig line ;)

You don't need a reuter, all you need is a wood block with a hole in it. Cut the wood block half way with the chainsaw. Clamp your chaisaw in a vice, slip the bock on the bar, tie up the trigger with a rubber band and voilá instant tenon maker. Ok ok I understand that may be dangerous, then tie up the block with wire against the vice, no more danger.:laugh:

I've been using a hole saw drill attachment for tenons. It isn't the fastest, but it works and I like the flat shoulder. I don't mind that the pilot bit bores a hole in the center, either, as I usually put a wedge in the tenon anyway.

I like the tagline "faster than a beaver."

I think I saw something like these in the Baileys catalog.

Adrpk I like your benches... wonder how something like that would sell at one of my shows. Not sure I want to invest in any more tooling at the moment though, got more stuff I don't use as much as I should now.

Latest posts

Back