Logman Tenon Maker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy makes all kinds of log furniture. He and I built this bed for my brothers wedding gift. The log railing is in my newly remodeled upstairs. All done with a draw knife and a hole saw/ chisel to clean the holes out. Trace the hole saw bit on the end of the log and draw it down to that size. I built him a shaving horse for helping me learn the trade, it works well for solo work on the smaller spindles.

germy01 said:
My buddy makes all kinds of log furniture. He and I built this bed for my brothers wedding gift. The log railing is in my newly remodeled upstairs. All done with a draw knife and a hole saw/ chisel to clean the holes out. Trace the hole saw bit on the end of the log and draw it down to that size. I built him a shaving horse for helping me learn the trade, it works well for solo work on the smaller spindles.

Nice pictures. How hard is it to get the holes lined up so to get a good fit?

I thought that would be a big problem when I started working with him, but it's not that hard. The railing has pretty straight spindles so that wasn't bad and the curved ones like the bed you can turn them for a good fit. None of the spindles are glued or any mechanical connection, just the long rails to the posts.

Nice furniture! No glue, I like that. I am fascinated with "Japanese joinery", I don't like the style all but the work that goes into joining pieces of wood with out glue is fascinating.

One question, chisels out the hole after using a whole saw, I guess that means he chips it out little by little. I don't know I am sitting thinking about making something like that and concluding that is an art.

woodshop said:
Adrpk I like your benches... wonder how something like that would sell at one of my shows. Not sure I want to invest in any more tooling at the moment though, got more stuff I don't use as much as I should now.

Don't get any ideas, woodshop. You got to stick to what you do, best. Keep gettiing 'jigging with it'.;)

What kind of show are these?

If I had the time to produce anything out of wood and put a finish on it I could sell here in good ole' New York City. There is a shop just a block down from me that sells things on consignment, I would like to bring something over to her and see what I could get for it. A bench like either in the pictures would really stand out in her shop. But those two (starter benches) and one other I use, that actually is worthy of a sale, are all I have.

Enough of this, mods what happen to the wood working forum?

Adrpk said:
Nice furniture! No glue, I like that. I am fascinated with "Japanese joinery", I don't like the style all but the work that goes into joining pieces of wood with out glue is fascinating.

Hi Adrpk,
it's Great to see a local guy here' . im about 40min out of manhattan.
i'm also in awe of japanese joinery(though i like their designs as well) those puzzle boxes are unreal. when not messin with wood ,bamboo is my other medium,make japanese flutes sometimes and other things..

what kinda store is this by you? i'm wanting to start approaching stores next year with some of my craftwork etc, alot of it is small and easy to stick on a shelf.

if you care for an extra hand,saw and shadow next time you go out milling give me a buzz. im new to all this and would love to join ya

peace'

tribalwind said:
Hi Adrpk,
it's Great to see a local guy here' . im about 40min out of manhattan.
i'm also in awe of japanese joinery(though i like their designs as well) those puzzle boxes are unreal. when not messin with wood ,bamboo is my other medium,make japanese flutes sometimes and other things..

what kinda store is this by you? i'm wanting to start approaching stores next year with some of my craftwork etc, alot of it is small and easy to stick on a shelf.

if you care for an extra hand,saw and shadow next time you go out milling give me a buzz. im new to all this and would love to join ya

peace'

Ya man, I have a shop in NJ but aside from that it's a trek to get to where the men are separated from the mice and I become, 'milling man'. :laugh:

Uh, I'm going to pm you about the other details.

Btw, Tribal, what's up with your user name? Of course don't answer if your not up to it. Struck the cord of curiosity in me, had to ask. Are you really American Indian or into going tribal on things?

Ya man, I have a shop in NJ but aside from that it's a trek to get to where the men are separated from the mice and I become, 'milling man'. :laugh:
LOL. mice,or 40lb rats? :D , i work an office job (a/v drafting design) and some of the project managers ehre are a tad fragile, talk about this stuff with them and they wince

Btw, Tribal, what's up with your user name? Of course don't answer if your not up to it. Struck the cord of curiosity in me, had to ask. Are you really American Indian or into going tribal on things?
well, it Doesn't mean indian-fart:laugh:

I'm irish myself, but the name is indeed linked to native indigenous culture.
Native-American style flute was my first instrument,and is what set me off into native music/culture,then other world-musics/cultures,then flute making ,then woodworking disciplines in general,,and now lumber milling...been a real domino effect.!!!
so the name pays homage to those roots, the start of this journey. its become a sort of 'stage name' at some performances i do,and tribal wind arts is teh craft-studio,more commonly referred to as a 1 car detached garage:cool:

BTW, on the drill twisting thing, I saw a guy almost snap his arm and bust all his knuckles on wall framing drilling a hole for a plumbing vent with a hole-hawg. This guy wasn't a small dude either...That drill had some serious power!

Here's my hole-hawg story:

At one time i had a CAT (dozer) with a pony motor... The pony was manual start and i got a brain storm. I was thinking, what if i made an adapter to go on the pony, that i could spin with a drill... I'd have instant electric start!!!

So, off i headed to the shop and welded up an "adapter"... Problem is, i didn't have a powerfull enough drill to spin it. Now, i needed a drill for the plumbing and electrical jobs i was doing anyway, soooo......

So, off i go to my industrial tool dealer. Now, i was a regular there and when i told "Kurt" that i wanted a Mil... Hole-Hawg!! Kirt says, no you don't! You want a B&D Industrial (made by Elu) Timberwolf!!! I say, NO I DON'T!! I want the Mil.... Well, after that went on for a bit, i walked out the door with my hole-hawg!!!

I had everything already in the pu, so i headed straight for the CAT! I put the adapter in my NEW drill, plugged it in and put the adapter in place on the pony!!! Hole-hawgs have a 2 speed gear box, and in high gear it didn't have enough power to spin the pony, but it would in low. Anyway, within about 2 minutes i heard a CRUNCH and that was the end of my hole-hawg!!! Boy, was i ever PI$$ed!

I then load everything back up and headed back to the store. As i walk in, Kirt yells at me, "you blew the gear box, didn't you?".... Dang i felt like ****, and he went on to say, "i told you to buy the Timberwolf!!"...

Well, they took it back and i left with the Timberwolf! Back to the CAT i went (20 miles) and got it all hooked up and low and behold, the Timberwolf had the power to spin the pony in high gear!!! The T. Wolf draws 8.0 amps, and the hawg draws 7.5 amps, but the wolf is a LOT more drill... They even have the same speed in hi and low...

Now, back to what got me started me thinking of this story in the first place!!! The T. Wolf has a "ratchet clutch" in low gear, so if a big drill bit catches something, instead of throwing you into the wall, it will slip a bit untill you let go of the trigger!!!

Lastly, the following monday i was on a job, and the local plumber yells to me, "i heard about your hole-hawg!!" "If i had known you wanted one of those POS i'd have gave you one of the two laying on my bench with blown gear boxes!!" Then he showed me "his" Timberwolf!!

Rob

Starting an engine with a drill, hum that is a concept.

You could have rigged up an old electric motor with a washing machine gearbox and plugg it in.

Anyway, I am iterested in good drills and your Timberwolf drill caught my attention. However I cannot find the brand Timberwolf, only a supplier of power tools. Do you have a link? Are you talking about the Dewalt timberwolf 90 angle drill?

Last edited:
I've used drills to start motors many times over the years.... They are a LOT of torque in a small package, so they are easy to handle. Keep in mind, a cheap or too small of a drill = a DEAD drill!

I did a search and found out that B&D now sells the Timberwolf under the Dewalt brand... Looks to be the same drill, it's just yellow now...

These tools are made by ELU and they are bullet proof!!

http://www.westerntool.com/product.htm?pid=420475

If it was me, i'd be watching Ebay for one.... I bought mine many years ago and it still works perfectly!

Rob

aquan8tor said:
anyone willing to measure the guide inserts for me? Thinking about setting up something on my router table like this. I just need to find out what the side dimensions are of the square.

i dont have one sorry

but wouldnt the 2 hole diameters be the tricky part?
thats the part the seems to take some thinking for me. the square could be 6"x6"x2" i'd gather...

I just want to make a box that I can slide the pre-made guides into!! I just want to make something that I don't have to buy a $150 box for, that I also won't have to take the router out of the table (PITA--homemade table). I was thinking more about quick & dirty rather than functionality when I put the little table together. I really have only used the router for a little woodworking, but I've done a fair bit cutting o-ring grooves in plastics, and cutting circles in the same clear acrylic sheet.

If use use the individual tenon cutters like Veritas, what are the popular sizes needed to make log beds and bedroom furniture.

Back