Lombard Model 34 Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcnally

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I thought I should probably start my own thread rather than clog up the antique saw thread with my photos.

So, long story short...my dad started repairing small engine equipment when he retired about 15 years ago. He has really bad COPD and, asbestos damage to his lungs now, so he hasn't been able to work on anything for a few years. A few weeks ago I did some work around the house for him and he said "I've got this old Lombard chainsaw in the shop. I had it running, and it looks pretty beat up, but it would look nice as is hanging in your barn." I went out and grabbed it and the first thing I thought was "There's no way I'm hanging this in my barn...I'm going to restore it." I've never owned a large chainsaw (or one this old), but I was a heavy equipment mechanic for years, and I've done body work as wel, so I dove in...and now I'm having a lot of fun cleaning this thing up.

Here's how it looked when I got it:

743e4f8584d7968ea6173694a9654422.jpg

c5ec30437e8c19ff19f5290d0142ee85.jpg

The first thing I did was contact Joe Salva from Sugar Creek Supply and asked if he had a decal set for my model. He didn't, but everything but the tank decal from another set matched. He asked me to send him photos and measurements of the tank decal so he could make one for me. I started sending him what he requested, but then I found it easier to just draw it out to scale, the best I could, since I have a graphics arts background as well. This is what I came up with, and Joe was able to work with that and polish it up.

4084fde0079f4a29f7e5c0f81998b5eb.jpg

With that behind me, I disassembled the saw, sprayed it down with "aircraft cleaner" (awesome product by the way), scrubbed it down, rinsed it off, and stuck it all in the dishwasher through a high heat cycle.

d99478e9d9110dc85371a39e851f09f8.jpg

797e00f7e1f267aacc9caea687fd37f4.jpg

Then I moved on to the carb...cleaned all the grime off of it, soaked the air filter & aired it out, and polished everything I could.

8eb2d07dbc08c4bd9fc0c2dec34b1568.jpg

I primed and painted everything this past Friday and test fit the major parts.

4816c59b3d2e46b4a6840c0a3c9ef6b9.jpg

Today I scrubbed down one of the plates, and retreated it with "Aluminum Black" to get the black background looking new again.

d88c18e0ca5da9a1b92c2a6e9dbef571.jpg

All that's left now is to wait for the decals to arrive, apply them, clear coat everything, and refinish the bar. I'd like to refinish the other data plate, too, but that's going to be the hardest part of the project. I'm going to need to sand it down, then find an image that shows the original text, and transfer it to the original plate. I'll post more pictures as I get things done.

I'll take a video once it's done and running. It has a Power Products AH-47 (manufactured in '54 before Tecumseh acquired them)

Thanks, Mark!

That looks awesome. You do quality work quickly. Could you provide more details on your painting and polishing processes? Tools, Flitz, and/or a Dremel? Also, what type of carb is that? Thanks, Max.

Thanks! Before paint, all deep pits and scratches were filled with Bondo and sanded smooth with 200 grit, then washed down again. Everything was hung from wire and primed, then painted with 2 coats of an industrial grade high solids spray paint. Once the decals arrive, I'll go over it all with 600 grit sand paper, apply the decals, and go over everything with 2 light coats of clear coat.

The small parts were polished with a dremel. First pass was done with a EZ471SA 36 Grit, Detail Abrasive Brush (sounds scary but it isn't), then followed by a 512E 320 Grit Abrasive Buff, and then I finished it off with polishing compound and the 423E EZ Lock Polishing Cloth. The carb is a Tillotson.

Worked on the data plate restoration today. I couldn't nail down the exact font, but I got it real close. I'm going to remove the rest of the lettering from the original plate, then print this onto a clear water slide decal, lay it over the plate, then clear over it so it won't wear off easily. I'm tempted to remake the plate from scratch, and stamp the numbers onto it, but there's something about having the original plate that I like. The saw serial number being stamped way off is driving me insane though.

dataplate template.png

IMG_4028.JPG

Tank decal test run...I only have clear waterslide decal sheets so it doesn't look nearly as nice as I'm expecting the ones to look that I'm going to order from Joe. I just wanted something on there for when I bring the saw to show my dad tomorrow.

634fd9a064b0d54a08c825a41754f84d.jpg

Beautiful work
I bet your dad is very proud of you restoring that Lombard.
That's a museum piece.
does that aircraft cleaner take the paint off to? where do you get it?
I've got a old Mono saw that I want to do just as you have done.
Thanks for sharing

Thank you! Yes, it stripped the paint down to the metal very quickly. It was pretty amazing how well it worked for me.

Back