Longest bar for Stihl 088 CSM WITHOUT helper handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the longest bar I can plan on putting on my 088 to CSM with an Alaskan without using a helper handle?
I mill alone, don't have a helper for the helper handle.
I'll be buying bar and Alaskan rails/bar set.
No experience with that powerhead. My 460 in avatar pulls a skip chisel 3/8 .063 only mm'd. I have a 661-c ported mm'd and waiting ignition advance that I have a 72" bar with semi skip chisel that I've not yet tried. A vid from the provider, shows the semi skip noodling 5' plus log with a 6' bar, with speed, on his 661 work saw improved.
From my experience ; auxiliary oiling, sharp as can be cutters and match the configuration of the chain to the powerhead. Once the resistance of the cutters matches power time to max output of your mill
Stay safe & enjoy

I’ve got a 72” cannon for my ms880, I’m pretty sure there is a 84” bar from them or another manufacturer.

A specific helper handle is not needed for any length of bar.

Helper handles add weight to the mill but will also help balance the mill better across the log rails.
Extra mill weight means you can use a shallower log slope
However, if you just need help lifting the mill on/off the log then the mill rails themselves can be used as handles.

I know Madsen's carries 96" Cannon bars in stock or they used to.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back