Longest bar length before full skip?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLOBOTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What is the longest bar length you should use before going to a skip chain?

woodsman said:
What is the longest bar length you should use before going to a skip chain?

What saw? Depends on the HP/torque. 026 - 20 works great on full skip (western softwoods). 066 - doesn't need it on 32 inch, but I use it.

never used skip, and I've run a 365 and 372 with 28" bar buried in hardwood with a full comp chain. The 372 was noticably faster...

Full Skip

I like to use full skip on all my saws.
Also, as far as that "safety chain" goes, I think defeats the purpose of the word safety.
Pushing harder on the saw, more vibration is not safety.
I had a sales rep from "Oregon" swear that as far as he was concerned it is impossible to notice a difference.
What do you think?

Shaun Bowler said:
I like to use full skip on all my saws.
Also, as far as that "safety chain" goes, I think defeats the purpose of the word safety.
Pushing harder on the saw, more vibration is not safety.
I had a sales rep from "Oregon" swear that as far as he was concerned it is impossible to notice a difference.
What do you think?

It is impossible to notice a difference between safety and none safety chains? Is that what you mean? I think there is a big difference between the two. The main thing is that I can't bore cut with the safety chains and I do believe they cut slower.

If you have a saw that has the power to pull a regular chain why run the skip chain? I think the skip chain would make a saw cut slower than a regular chain, as long as it had the power to pull a regular chain.
Rob

rjh245 said:
It is impossible to notice a difference between safety and none safety chains?

Of course it is. Anyone who's cut with both, and isn't trying to sell safety chain will agree.

Depending on what I'm cutting, and with which saw, I'll run full skip over 28". I'm seldom short on a saw, so power isn't an issue, but chip clearance is.

Jeff

MacDaddy is the man, "like how much do you like to file"? Good one. I figure the reasonable is at 24" I know that full cuts a little faster than skip but I can't see filing it on a 36" bar. As far as safety chain, that is for the weekend warrior crowd, not for a treemen, the guy from Oregon is saying that to sell more chain. Safety chain just lulls people into a false sense of security while at the same time slowing them down. How about safety falling and bucking?

I AM glad when the filing is done.
The saw would be a 575 with a 28" bar. Probably just try each chain and see results.

Just got a 28" bar for my 460. I also got one loop of full comp and one loop of full skip. I wanted to see how well the saw does with each and go from there. I have a 5' diameter silver maple coming down next week, it has two 3' leaders going up about 60'-70'. My lot is only 60' x 80' in the city, and I have another silver maple on the other side of the yard, 4.5' dbh, single lead.

Used to run full skip with 066's with a 36" bar. Now I run semi-skip with 32" bars. I like the faster chain speed with full skip but, the smoothness and less vibration from semi is more my style. I ran full comp for a while too - and though I love the way it cuts - it is slower and a real pain when I have to grind more than one chain a day. They are all good, just depends on what YOU want.

Latest posts

Back