lookin 4 everybodys advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats way cheap....

fiqure 4 times your payroll...

IE: 3 men at $20/HR, =$60/HR X 4 = $240/HR X 8 HRS =$1920 per day

this should cover every thing...

depending on your overhead,, region,,you might want to go cheap.. 3 times...

IE: 3 men at $20/HR, =$60/ HR X 3 = $180/ HR X 8 HRS= $1440

thats about as low as i would go, for a bucket, chipper and 3 men...

?????????????????????????????? where in the world do you come up with a number based solely off of payroll? I assume you have taken equipment, overhead, profit and other expenses into account and that total cost comes out to around 3-4 times your payroll cost??? If so, maybe that ratio works for you but I sure wouldn't blindly lead some other bloke into thinking that the same ratio will work for him...

...unless of course, you'd like to see your competition go bankrupt from assuming other people's business plans rather than develop their own?

Come on guys, there is no QUICK AND EASY answer to the original question of 'how much do I charge for...' Each business owner has to figure that out for himself using his numbers in his geographic area. Period.

Oh yeah, and in my earlier lengthy post, I forgot to include a paragraph about profit. Obviously, you can't just come up with a bid that doesn't include some amount of profit - not unless you want to run junk equipment for the rest of your life and eat ramen noodles 3 times a day. Each business owner has to figure out what level of profit will ideally suit his lifestyle, his expenses, his needs. I can't tell juststumps how much to charge hourly because I don't know how much profit he should include in his hourly rate in order to give him adequate money to live off of annually and, if he has a family, to keep shoes on their feet. (though maybe you southerners do tree work barefoot so you don't need to pay for boots)? :monkey:

Last edited:
lxt first off im not new to the biz ,but im new to the site . i just ask a simple question to see what everybodys goin rate was all around the world . didnt ask for any smart comments ,just a simple answer . thank you to all that replied.

Nobody gave you a smart answer!! If your inquiring about regions & going rates elsewhere thats one thing, but your opening post came across like you were NEW & asking for help on bidding a contract????

If your not NEW.......then why ask? & what does it matter what someone charges in BFE, cause you dont live there!!

LXT............

No Arborpro, I have NEVER itemized the following overhead expenses....

I Own a Local Sign and Vinyl Graphics business...... Theres my signs.....

I Own several pieces of property in GREAT advertsing locations......

I Own a Towing and Recovery Business.... theres my extra office space and property to park everything.....

We had a hurricane down here awhile back (Katrina), and a wealthy Oil Tycoon came down and brought several pieces of Machinery with him.... About $400,000.00 worth. To make a long story short, he lost any and all govt. contracts he had, and went back home. He even illegally parked all of that expensive equipment...and me having a Towing Service, I was the lucky one chosen by the Local Autorities to Tow said equipment!
Can you believe that man NEVER came and claimed all of that expensive equipment?!?!? Hence how I got all my machinery for free.....

I totally agree that everyones situation is different, and in mine I CAN simply figure my estimates just that easy!!

And in case anyone is wondering, us Southerners DO wear boots... not barefoot! You can normally tell by the bootprint in your A**!! :clap:

We had a hurricane down here awhile back (Katrina), and a wealthy Oil Tycoon came down and brought several pieces of Machinery with him.... About $400,000.00 worth... Can you believe that man NEVER came and claimed all of that expensive equipment?!?!? Hence how I got all my machinery for free.....

Lucky SOB...:cheers:

And in case anyone is wondering, us Southerners DO wear boots... not barefoot! You can normally tell by the bootprint in your A**!! :clap:

I must have had a rougher day than normal yesterday - in reading some of my posts from yesterday, they come across a bit arrogant. No need for arrogance on this forum so, my appologies. Anyone who was put off by my posts can put your southern boots soundly in my A** where they belong... :)

Last edited:
arbor pro, you should send him a bill for that post!! pro just gave you the equivalent to a small biz plan.........lots of good info in that post that no doubt took along time to aquire & learn!! Honestly I wouldnt have given out the info in such full detail...........you need to thank arbor...Big time!!

I figure if your in biz...LEGALLY these things are just everyday common knowledge, I dont know if you were fishin for info or seriously inquiring??

Good Luck to ya & hopefully you land the deal!!!

LXT..............

I do not have software but after years I can look at a job and know how to bid for my time. I know what others bid and I know even though they have software they might get the job.

?????????????????????????????? where in the world do you come up with a number based solely off of payroll? I assume you have taken equipment, overhead, profit and other expenses into account and that total cost comes out to around 3-4 times your payroll cost??? If so, maybe that ratio works for you but I sure wouldn't blindly lead some other bloke into thinking that the same ratio will work for him...

...unless of course, you'd like to see your competition go bankrupt from assuming other people's business plans rather than develop their own?

Come on guys, there is no QUICK AND EASY answer to the original question of 'how much do I charge for...' Each business owner has to figure that out for himself using his numbers in his geographic area. Period.

Oh yeah, and in my earlier lengthy post, I forgot to include a paragraph about profit. Obviously, you can't just come up with a bid that doesn't include some amount of profit - not unless you want to run junk equipment for the rest of your life and eat ramen noodles 3 times a day. Each business owner has to figure out what level of profit will ideally suit his lifestyle, his expenses, his needs. I can't tell juststumps how much to charge hourly because I don't know how much profit he should include in his hourly rate in order to give him adequate money to live off of annually and, if he has a family, to keep shoes on their feet. (though maybe you southerners do tree work barefoot so you don't need to pay for boots)? :monkey:[/QUOTE

the original poster was going to do the job for $1000... my numbers were $1440-1920 per day !!! i think i just made the man money !!!!

4 X $20/hr = $80 times 3 men = $240/hr times 8hr = $1,920/day times 5 days = $9,600/week times 52 weeks = $499,200/year

3 X $20/hr = $60 times 3 men = $180/hr times 8 hr = $1440/day times 5 days= $7,200/week times 52 weeks= $374,400/year

if you can't run a 3 man crew on that with a new bucket and chipper leased for 5 years,, and cover costs, plus make a profit,,, you ought to find a new job !!!!!

half is for payroll (pay, ssi, workers comp, taxes ) rest is for overhead + profit..

even if you only worked half the year,, payroll is cut in half,, profit goes down,, but you still make a profit...

by the way,, i got this 4 times rate from the owner of the company i work for....this is how i bid my side jobs....and he's been in biz for 40 years.. he's the guy with the shore house with the 40 ft boat out back...

amazing i could survive grinding stumps at $100/hr, with a SC352 , i bought new, not counting the $4,000 box trailer i keep it in, part time,, and still make a profit...
just mho

Back