Looking at 090 and milling setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found an 090 local that is supposed to be in good running shape and is set up for milling, with some sort of attachment.

I won't get to take a look at it for a while but am wondering, what to look for/look out for, from those who have used an 090 and/or milled with one?

For the milling setup what does that add to value? Depending on the setup.

Bars/chains added values?

If it looks and runs well what to offer?

Thanks for letting me know what to look for in advance!

If the 090 is in good shape it is worth a pretty penny by itself. As far as a milling saw goes that's pretty much the king of the game. People have probably milled more wood with an 090 than any other saw made. It's a real workhorse in the cut. The don't have the chain speed of the newer saws but the torque and powerband make it a perfect milling saw. Only real problem is finding parts if it goes down. Lots of parts are very hard to find and some nearly impossible. That being said if an 090 was in my budget right now I would not hesitate to pick one up immediately. Make a reasonable offer considering the condition of it but leave some room for replacing a few parts if it needs them soon. If you end of purchasing it post of some pics of the setup so we can drool over it.

As far as price if the saw is in good shape I'd say it's worth $900 on up depending actual condition when u inspect it. I've seen them sell recently for as much as $1600 in my area for a decent one. A friend has two in great shape and isn't looking to sell but told me $1900 would buy one if I wanted it. Just to rich for my blood.

You can get brand new Stihl OEM parts at any dealer it's just going to be expensive. Some stuff they have a good cheap aftermarket for or if you don't want to go Chinese you can pay quite a lot and get OEM Stihl parts. I went to my dealer a week ago to buy a new recoil and stuff it was $90 but wasn't stocked so they ordered it and it will be here in 3 weeks or something. 090s are really good for milling my only complaint about them is the governor which is a fairly easy fix.

Only some basic parts are usually available through a dealer and even that is only if you are lucky. More often than not you won't be able to get you what you need without some pretty serious searching. And all the parts will cost you top dollar for oem.

I have an 090 and I mill with it a few times a year. It still has the governor hooked up.

I'd watch out for cracked housings around the PTO side, and the condition of the clutch. An OEM clutch will set you back stupid money if you have to replace it. There are a lot of aftermarket parts available from china, but the quality is likely not good enough for continuous milling use.

Also a healthy 090 should make enough compression that you need to use the decomp to start it when cold. Have a look down the carburetor throat, if there is dust in there, its not a good sign. An 090 in good shape will usually go anywhere from $1200 to $2000 up here (Canada)

As far as milling attachments go, if its a granberg brand Alaskan its probably worth $75 to $150 (depends on your local market really...) Bars and chains are still widely available for the 090, if its long (60"+) then they can get pricey. Keep in mind a loop of chain for a long bar gets expensive in a hurry.

good luck, let us know if you get the saw/mill

If 3/8th chain, you likely have a good idea on it's value but, if it's 404 ripping chain, it's like gold...$750 for 100' and $88 for 50" loops when not on sale out of Bailey's...offer accordingly based on condition and cutter length.

IDK if your set on a 090 but you can talk to your local Stihl dealer about the best price they can on a new saw, I was able to pick up my 880 with 59" bar for just under 2k pre-tax. In my opinion way better then picking up a $1500 used saw and then dropping 300 or more on a bar in that size range.

^ also makes a good point, if you can get an 880 with bar and chain for about the same amount you would likely be better off, modern saw, good part availability, faster cutting.... etc etc.

The thing that's great about the 090 is the power/torque, you can drop the rakers down .050" and it will have no issues and you can run whatever length of bar you want; however, it is a slow cutting saw. I have a Pioneer P50 (only 82cc) that I've also milled with and while its easier to stall and maintaining a razor sharp chain is very important it is way way way faster. That being said the governor is still hooked up on the 090, I suspect it would be different if I were to defeat it.

An 880 is no 090, not even close, even when ported. You would notice
the real difference when it comes down to big logs or very hard wood. Newer and faster chain speed is not always a plus.

You gonna tell us what it is? Pecan? Don't have any clue as to where in the world you are.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks, abbott295
That's Red Oak that has been lightening struck numerous times during nasty Oklahoma thunder storms and spalted as a result. Eastern side of OK is called "Green Country" cause the western side "Isn't". lol

Back