Looking at a 262XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemouse

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for a new project and I like the specs of the 262Xp w/air injection. The power to weight ratio is on the high end for stock listings( from what I have found). Are they a good saw or a Great Classic? Any thoughts out there?
this site is great!.

Hi and welcome to the site.
My dad used a Husky 262XP for years, it started its life as dads saw for logging and then cut firewood for many years. Never had any reliablity issues until we sold it. In my opinion they are one of the better saws that husky made. Thanks
Ryan

Looking for a new project and I like the specs of the 262Xp w/air injection. The power to weight ratio is on the high end for stock listings( from what I have found). Are they a good saw or a Great Classic? Any thoughts out there?
this site is great!.

You are not alone, and the line starts behind me, and it's a LONG line!!!!
Great saws!! I think they are underratted in a lot of aspects. I think they have more power than the specs say!!! I miss mine greatly!!!
The only thing Husky did wrong on that saw was not make it a large bar mount!!! Be awsome to run that with a 24" on a regular basis.

You are not alone, and the line starts behind me, and it's a LONG line!!!!
Great saws!! I think they are underratted in a lot of aspects. I think they have more power than the specs say!!! I miss mine greatly!!! .....

That may well be the case, the dyno results in this independant test report from 1997 showed 3.6kW/4.9hp at 9750 rpm, and 4.1Nm at as low as 6000 rpm - a pretty impressive "power-band", out of 61.5cc.
It also confirmed the powerhead weight as the advertised 5.8kg/12.8lbs.

If I found one in decent condition, I would pick it up ASAP, but they are not plentifull here, and those who have one (my brother is one) will not let it go......

Last edited:
this site is great!.

Well good choice I would say. Some well respected Husky fans told me a long time ago that the 262XP and the 242XP were among the best Husky saws ever made.

If I can lay my hands on one (262xp) , I will not hesitate a second...

BTW it's a great hobby ! I see a lot of new projects in the future for you ;)

Well good choice I would say. Some well respected Husky fans told me a long time ago that the 262XP and the 242XP were among the best Husky saws ever made.

If I can lay my hands on one (262xp) , I will not hesitate a second...

BTW it's a great hobby ! I see a lot of new projects in the future for you ;)

second that, atleast over here 242xp is probaply the most well known and praised huskies among old lumberjacks... and i have to agree with it, its a beast...

There actually are a couple of design featuer that I don't really like on the 262xp, namely the outboard clutch, and that they need small 7-spline rims, meaning a 8-pin 3/8" rim will be hard to find (if possible at all). I believe that Baileys sell aftermarket clutch drums, with for large 7-spline rims though.

The small bar mount pattern is not a real problem, just slightly annoying if you want to use the same bars as on larger Huskys (not possible)......

Last edited:
That may well be the case, the dyno results in this independant test report from 1997 showed 3.6kW/4.9hp at 9750 rpm, and 4.1Nm at as low as 6000 rpm - a pretty impressive "power-band", out of 61.5cc.
It also confirmed the powerhead weight as the advertised 5.8kg/12.8lbs.

If I found one in decent condition, I would pick it up ASAP, but they are not plentifull here, and those who have one (my brother is one) will not let it go......

OK, so comparing your brothers 262XP and your MS361...................

OK, so comparing your brothers 262XP and your MS361...................

I never had a chance to compare them side by side, in the same wood, as his saw is down in Southern Norway, and my 361 is up here.

The 361 sure has less vibes at the rear handle, and the more convenient inboard sprocket, and large spline clutch - chain brake construction is much better also - but the 262xp was what I really wanted, but couldn't get..........:givebeer:

great info. I think my old neighbor has a worn out 262 that i will try toget my hands on. I have a 288 and a 266 for bigger stuff but a overhauled 262 sounds like fun. light ,powerful, and a Husky to boot.:rock:

spotted a complete 262 on ebay earlier. supposedly it has straight gas syndrome(top end toasted) but it appers complete w/20+" bar and chain. Too bad I dont need parts yet

There actually are a couple of design featuer that I don't really like on the 262xp, namely the outboard clutch, and that they need small 7-spline rims, meaning a 8-pin 3/8" rim will be hard to find (if possible at all). I believe that Baileys sell aftermarket clutch drums, with for large 7-spline rims though.

The small bar mount pattern is not a real problem, just slightly annoying if you want to use the same bars as on larger Huskys (not possible)......

imo that outboard clutch whine isnt valid, its up to personal preferences and i myself value slim body more than faster sprocket changes (and in some cases, better chip clearance)

imo that outboard clutch whine isnt valid, its up to personal preferences and i myself value slim body more than faster sprocket changes (and in some cases, better chip clearance)

Sorry, blis, I prefer my clutches inboard. It's not a "deal breaker", but I cuss at my 3120 a whole lot more than I do at my 066 when it comes time to swap chains.

Mark

It is valid, but not necessarily decisive, on small saws, it is easier to "forgive" an outboard one, then on a larger one.......

An added benefit of the inboard clutch, is that you often can take the powerhead off a stuck bar, and put another one on, to free the stuck one.

Now I really need to have one. I keep checking my garage to see if one magically appeared yet. Are you listening Santa?

Back