Looking at a new trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordf150

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
We are looking at new trailers and have ran into a stumbling block. I cant decide between dual tandem or single wheel triaxle. We are leaning towards the triaxle option since we have had those before and like the ability to load multiple pieces of equipment without much worry for load placement. We go out on occasion for small time logging jobs(usually only a couple acres) and we have decided that we need a a bigger trailer to fill the duties of hauling the occasional loads of logs, firewood logs, dozer, and tractor. Last fall i purchased a Cat D3B and this summer an Oliver 1750, both of which are way over the limits of our current trailers both in size and weight. Best as i can figure the dozer is 15k and the Oliver is 12k pounds.

Any input on the triaxle vs dual tandem and any particular brands that we should be looking at or staying away from?

I am more familiar with and comfortable towing tandem dual. The only experience I have with a tri axle is that it was more difficult in tight quarters, but towed straight as an arrow! Tandem dual should handle 20k if memory serves me correctly. Not sure on a tri axle.

Are you going with a gooseneck, or heavy pintle?

One more of the benefits of the tandem over the tri axle. Is less strain on any uneven ground. (Less chance of over loading the forward or rear axle when off the path)

Steven

It will be a gooseneck trailer. We have had a triaxle bumper pull and gooseneck before, never had much problem with either considering their age and how abused they were. a few sets of wheel bearings and lots of tires but they were both homebuilt jewels that were not all that well built....house trailer axles under both and the bumper pull had no suspension at all, axles bolted straight to the frame. Also had a worn out 16T pintle equipment trailer for a time to haul the dozers and skidder on but again it was old, abused, and no maintenance done before we ended up with it. To give an idea of condition, we used the triaxle trailers for at most 2 yrs each and scrapped them when the frames broke or axles ripped out from under them. 16T pintle got sold as part of the package deal we made when the log truck, 450H, trailer, and 440 went down the road 6-7 years ago and since then we have been miserable with just 6k pound car trailer to haul everything on. It is starting to get a nice arch to the deck because of overloading it with tractors, logs, and hay....with a little work and straps it will hold 12 round bales for the trip home lol

I am throwing those 3 trailers and the experiences we had with them out the window considering this is most likely going to be a new trailer so we wont have to deal with cobbled together stuff or 20 yr old whipped trailers.

To be honest this trailer probably wont see but 5000 miles a yr on an extremely busy year. Another factor is that we will be towing it with 3/4 ton pickups so that is what led us to triaxle.

What brands are you looking at?

If your main use will be highway pulling I'd go triple singles, if you have to do a lot of turns and backing into tight spots is a concern I'd go tandem duals.

Edit: after thinking on it I'd go tandem duals. They just work better.

it will be 50/50 highway and country roads. Any tight turning is going to be limited to when its in driveways, fields, gravel roads......i get fuel at a truck stop so no tight turns in and out for fuel, it wont be used for around town transport....we live in a pretty rural area so everywhere we will need to use it will be fairly wide open.

Not really sure on brands. We called around to the local trailer place and all they have is moritz and sure trac.....not really interested in dealing with them, seem like nice trailers but they want stupid money for them. We were quoted $10k for 20k pound 20+4 with no options added in. quick look on the net and bay it seems like $7k will get a texas pride, applachian, kaufman....gatormade and bigtex are slightly more but still less than the local place by allot.

28' kaufman is $6500 for their cheap one....I ruled it out because of 24" OC crossmembers. Their 30' Deluxe trailer with a heavier frame and 16"OC crossmembers is only $7400 for a triaxle and $7900 for a dual tandem.

Triples eat tires up alot faster. We have a 15k triple and a 20k dual tandem and tires are expensive
Tire cost is not a huge factor.....I sell tires so I can get them at cost..... But by "eat tires up" what are we talking average mileage since I've only installed new tires once.... All our old trailers had house trailer axles and we ran house trailer tires because we could buy once used tires already mounted on rims for $10-20 each and sidewalls blew out long before they were worn out. Installed new lowboy(load range G) tires one time and promptly blew the sidewalls out after only 2 weeks.... Slightly overloaded it with logs and tried to make a 50 mile run to the mill with it. My current car trailer just has a set of car tires on it and they have lasted 4-5 yrs even with massively over loading it. I also may not be even comparing apples to apples since old trailers were at most 22' and the new one will be 30' give or take.

I looked up tire prices and they are surprisingly cheap..... about a 1/3 of my pickup tires and I have to replace them every 5-7k miles.

it will be 50/50 highway and country roads. Any tight turning is going to be limited to when its in driveways, fields, gravel roads......i get fuel at a truck stop so no tight turns in and out for fuel, it wont be used for around town transport....we live in a pretty rural area so everywhere we will need to use it will be fairly wide open.

Not really sure on brands. We called around to the local trailer place and all they have is moritz and sure trac.....not really interested in dealing with them, seem like nice trailers but they want stupid money for them. We were quoted $10k for 20k pound 20+4 with no options added in. quick look on the net and bay it seems like $7k will get a texas pride, applachian, kaufman....gatormade and bigtex are slightly more but still less than the local place by allot.

28' kaufman is $6500 for their cheap one....I ruled it out because of 24" OC crossmembers. Their 30' Deluxe trailer with a heavier frame and 16"OC crossmembers is only $7400 for a triaxle and $7900 for a dual tandem.

Wow that is dirt cheap! A tandem dual USED trailer costs that here.

My triple would take 4 of 6 good tires and make them bald with steel wire showing every year. I've got 2 years on my dual and no noticeable difference. That being said I had a 20' 14k built by Rice trailer that ruined fronts every year, all city driving though. The weigh pivots on 1 axle and the rest slide around turns in my observation but the tire that pivots depends on the weight center

We've had big and like idiots sold it off thinking we didn't need it. A month after selling it we were wishing we still had it.

We have talked about it and decided on dual tandem but now it's the question of brand.... Never heard of half these trailers and have no problem driving 6-8 hours to pick one up but not going to drive that far just to look at one in person. Internet pictures only show so much

I found my 20k on craigslist for $5600, they're on there occasionally in heavy equipment section. Needed 2 pieces of deck but easy fix

We've had big and like idiots sold it off thinking we didn't need it. A month after selling it we were wishing we still had it.

We have talked about it and decided on dual tandem but now it's the question of brand.... Never heard of half these trailers and have no problem driving 6-8 hours to pick one up but not going to drive that far just to look at one in person. Internet pictures only show so much

Can't blame you honestly, I'd stick with a big name manufacturer, PJ, Big Tex, Kaufman, etc... PJ's are some of the nicest trailers I've been around. Also the most expensive generally. Big Tex is a solid bang for your buck trailer... out of the three I'd pick a Kaufman, generally cheapest, 16" OC cross members, sealed wire harness is a big deal, (big Tex splices their wires, it's just one more spot for water to infiltrate.)

Either way you'll be happy, you're getting a new trailer!!

I've heard good things about Bennett's trailer in Salem, OH. I know a couple guys that worked out pretty good deals with them. Might be worth a shot to call them. They're big into pulling trucks, tractors, ATV/UTV; so they're not just some generic salesman type dealership.

I had both and prefer a tandem dual. I ordered mine new with pop up center section to make it a flat deck, winch, locking toolbox,etc. When I got it I priced out all the major players and ended up going with Brute Trailers out of Paris, Texas. I do not know if they are still around but am very happy with it. It has the Torsion tube and very well built. Make sure you get Dexter axles too. I drove from Ohio and picked it up myself as I had to haul something back from South Texas so it worked out well.

MVC-011S_3.JPG

MVC-001S_26.JPG

MVC-010S.JPG

At the time they would custom make any size you wanted and they only dealt with bigger trailers. Feel free to ask anything you wish.

Also don't get sucked into the powdercoating being a great plus. They all paint with no prep so it will peel off in sheets. At least with normal paint you can repair it easily if that is a concern for you. Keeping it under roof will make it last longer than anything.

Bennetts look like they have a pretty good inventory.

we definitely want a torque tube and either popup dovetail/popup center and wedge ramps or 3 ramps because of hauling hay. That is one of the main motivating factors to this, nothing like hauling 100 round bales home on a car trailer 10-11 bales at a time. only one tractor with a loader so it has to be driven/hauled home with every load.

cant imagine the powder coating can be good for rust either.....that is why the ford ranger/f series had such severe spring hanger problems, poor surface prep let the paint/powder peel up and water/salt was trapped under it.

Ended up with a 2001 moritz 20+5. has the deck on the gooseneck and a flip up dovetail. does not have a torque tube and you can tell it just by stepping up on the front corner of the deck so at some point we will be adding one. Kinda rough IMO, needs blasted and painted, deck is looking pretty bad but no busted out boards, looks like it hasnt hauled much because there are no gouges/grooves in the deck and no bent up rub rails from stuff being chained down. Not exactly what i was wanting but I am not going to complain....we had planned on a buying a new trailer and splitting the payment between step dad and me but he found this one somewhere and just wrote a check so its paid for.

AS 002.jpg

Back