Looking at new Wood Hauler - Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh i c i know dad had a 1990 model F250 and it had a 460 fuel injected and the fuel pump went out in the front tank. and i repalced it and then it went back out afther a year later afther the warrnty ran out.but he just used the back tank that was a 19 gallon tank.and then the pump went out and then it got crud past the filter somehow and swelled the injecters up and busted the intake on it.so that truck went to pull a part because it was goin to cost over 2600 bucks for the injecters and intake for it.but as long as you keep it running it should cost to much in gas though.

Not that I'm biased or anything but if you are looking for older rigs the late 70's fords are hard to beat. Classic style and easy to work on.

I'm not biased (ok, maybe just a little... :msp_cool: ) but any Chevy from that era would be a great truck as well... I'm currently bringing a 76 K20 back to life (just some body work and paint)...compared to some of the newer 3/4 ton trucks, this thing is a tank - ultimate wood hauler IMO. GM and Ford both built great trucks in this era...

Simple to work on, parts are very cheap and they are truly built to take a beating... :rock:

Last edited:
I'm not biased (ok, maybe just a little... :msp_cool: ) but any Chevy from that era would be a great truck as well... I'm currently bringing a 76 K20 back to life (just some body work and paint)...compared to some of the newer 3/4 ton trucks, this thing is a tank - ultimate wood hauler IMO. GM and Ford both built great trucks in this era...

Simple to work on, parts are very cheap and they are truly built to take a beating... :rock:

I'm definitely not opposed to a Chevy or even a dodge. In the 70's era there are some great trucks, the trick is finding one that I like that has been taken care of.

I'm definitely not opposed to a Chevy or even a dodge. In the 70's era there are some great trucks, the trick is finding one that I like that has been taken care of.

Yep, took me 6+ months of looking everywhere...I finally found one 4.5 hours away...drove it home without a single issue. Good luck with whatever you pick! :msp_smile:

Driving 1500 mi/year seems like a diesel would make no sense at all. Last year I bought a 99 f250 with 115K miles on it for $3500 and it is a damn nice truck. It's already wired for a trailer with brake controler 4.10 rear 5.4 engine gets 15mpg empty and 13 loaded. However it's one of those trucks nobody in their right mind would own, no extended cab, a real genuine 8' bed, a manual tranny and 2wd. If it was a diesel it would be double or triple the money. One thing I might do different is a limited slip rear end. I might install one this summer. Some of the diesel repair stories I've read about are down right spooky.

Take your time and keep looking.

Yep 79 F250 d60 rear d44 hp hd front manual 4spd 400m . I can easily put full cords in it., It has a stake side now btw and its lifted with 35's. gets 10-12 mpg . best part is it was well under 2k and that was with the warn winch.

attachment.php

Driving 1500 mi/year seems like a diesel would make no sense at all. Last year I bought a 99 f250 with 115K miles on it for $3500 and it is a damn nice truck. It's already wired for a trailer with brake controler 4.10 rear 5.4 engine gets 15mpg empty and 13 loaded. However it's one of those trucks nobody in their right mind would own, no extended cab, a real genuine 8' bed, a manual tranny and 2wd. If it was a diesel it would be double or triple the money. One thing I might do different is a limited slip rear end. I might install one this summer. Some of the diesel repair stories I've read about are down right spooky.

Take your time and keep looking.

I do not know about no body in their right mind, but I'd like to own it. I'd put a G/N or a fifth wheel in the back and haul cords and cords of wood up to Lubbock and make bank.

Well after doing some searching I'm going to look at a 1986 Ford F250 with a 460 in it. It has 126,000 original miles and one owner.

Owner says everything works and he's asking a pretty reasonable price. What I like is that I can work on that era of truck.

If it's as good as it sounds I may drive home with a new truck in a few days.

I've owned the 12V diesel dodge, the chevy duramax and both the 7.3 and 6.0 powerstoke fords. I will never own a diesel again. Why? I don't pull an RV anymore. The up keep is much more expensive than a gas vehicle, fuel filters, oil changes, worn front end components from the xtra engine weight, just go price a starter for one.

Diesels have there place, if you are pulling big loads all the time, driving extensively etc. But with the cost of fuel today, there really isn't a savings in fuel cost for most of us.

I've owned 3/4 tons all my life, with that said I will never buy anything but one tons from now on for our use. The mechanical component difference is night and day, frame strengh, axles, hubs, they are so much heavier built it's night and day. Don't worry about engine size.
Our primary wood hauler is a one ton chevy that I bought out of a salvage pool that was immaculate, a deer had knocked out the grill and the hood, when the lady went through a fence it tore the lower radiator hose off and fried the 6.0 gas engine. I bought the truck for 2300.00, I bought a 5.3 gas engine that had 7000 miles on it, found it on CL.
With 4:11 gears it has worlds of power. With the 8'wx9'lflatbed we put on it with all the repairs I have 3600.00 in a 2003 3500 4x4 flatbed with a dump. The truck itself was immaculate and had BFG commercial radials at about 80% tread wear. It has been great, I've posted pics on another thread. I had the electric/over hydro power unit already, the hoist cost me 175.00 at a implement dealership. Anyone should be able to convert their truck from a flatbed/ regular bed for under 1000.00 if they do it themselves.

I'd shop around and look for a nice little one ton gasser. The truck you were looking at would make a great woodhauler, he's just asking too much, at least for this area.

I've owned the 12V diesel dodge, the chevy duramax and both the 7.3 and 6.0 powerstoke fords. I will never own a diesel again. Why? I don't pull an RV anymore. The up keep is much more expensive than a gas vehicle, fuel filters, oil changes, worn front end components from the xtra engine weight, just go price a starter for one.

Diesels have there place, if you are pulling big loads all the time, driving extensively etc. But with the cost of fuel today, there really isn't a savings in fuel cost for most of us.

I've owned 3/4 tons all my life, with that said I will never buy anything but one tons from now on for our use. The mechanical component difference is night and day, frame strengh, axles, hubs, they are so much heavier built it's night and day. Don't worry about engine size.
Our primary wood hauler is a one ton chevy that I bought out of a salvage pool that was immaculate, a deer had knocked out the grill and the hood, when the lady went through a fence it tore the lower radiator hose off and fried the 6.0 gas engine. I bought the truck for 2300.00, I bought a 5.3 gas engine that had 7000 miles on it, found it on CL.
With 4:11 gears it has worlds of power. With the 8'wx9'lflatbed we put on it with all the repairs I have 3600.00 in a 2003 3500 4x4 flatbed with a dump. The truck itself was immaculate and had BFG commercial radials at about 80% tread wear. It has been great, I've posted pics on another thread. I had the electric/over hydro power unit already, the hoist cost me 175.00 at a implement dealership. Anyone should be able to convert their truck from a flatbed/ regular bed for under 1000.00 if they do it themselves.

I'd shop around and look for a nice little one ton gasser. The truck you were looking at would make a great woodhauler, he's just asking too much, at least for this area.

True, 1500 really isn't enough for a diesel. That would be hard on a gas engine, and harder on a diesel.

As far as starters, put one on my truck last year. Cost me $150. Not that much more than what it costs for one that fits my '94 F150 with a straight six.

In general, the powerstrokes were, and are a nightmare. I've heard a lot of stories of guys who bought a new powerstroke just to sell it off and buy an IDI.

On most trucks the frame is the same between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton. At least they are on Fords. The difference is the suspension and the axles. Having said that, a 3/4 ton diesel often had a 1 ton rear axle. Hubs were identical. A D60 hub fits a D50 spindle if I remember correctly.

As far as wear and tear, a 460 is with in a couple hundred pounds (170 I think) of a 7.3 IDI, so the 460 will do just as much wear and tear to a front end as the diesel. More so if the front axle isn't rated for as much weight.

The fuel savings is minimal, but it is there if the truck is correctly set up. If it's electronic and it's "chipped" to produce 400 HP then you sure as heck ain't getting any fuel millage out of it. All that black smoke is unburnt fuel. I know guys with 3/4 ton diesels that get 24mpg empty all day long. When looking at fuel milage, you have to look at percentages. If gas is 3.50/gal and diesel is $3.85 then the diesel fuel is 10% more (which has been typical now for the last several years). So, if the diesel does 10% or more better fuel milage, then it's saving money. What I like about the old diesels is the ability to easily run alternate fuels. When only 25% of your fuel is D2 diesel, and the rest was free, that makes a huge difference :)

At the end of the day, you really do need to put the miles on a diesel though. If you're not driving it at least 15 miles one way a few times a week, then you're doing more damage to it then good.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Back