Looking for a firewood cutting buddy(s) in/around my area.....to share the burden

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Sister Lakes, Michigan, if there are any takers close by. I see some Michigan folks posting in this thread.

Hey Geezer, you can always bring a load here since I'm closer than across state.... ;)

Ya, but then I lose points with my daughter, SIL, and my grand daughters. And I'm not sure I could find Sister Lakes.

This is a good thread. I would be up for a similar arrangement in my area. Trouble is I don't have any rights to land/trees. I could only offer the assistance bucking, splitting and loading the wood. I say bucking because due to my limited woodcutting experience I have no buisness felling big trees yet. If anyone in RI or southeastern Mass is looking shoot me a PM.

Great idea! Kinda like "ride sharing" or "morning shape up at HD." Have Saws Will Travel.

Always helps to have someone to share ideas with, and be able to summon help.

Sign me up. :msp_thumbup: Various saws and 2WD P/U here. :cool2: BYOSaws.

Sounds like the begining of a GTG.

I think we need to define the GTG some more. Are you having a build off GTG, cookie cutter GTG or the productive firewood GTG?

Ancy, Maybe some time this summer I can come down to Carroll and help you out. I'm about 20 minutes south of Fort Dodge or an hr from Carroll. I work in Johnston so I probably have the DSM plot covered as well. Just need to get my 026 parts saw up an running.

Brian

... I say bucking because due to my limited woodcutting experience I have no buisness felling big trees yet. If anyone in RI or southeastern Mass is looking shoot me a PM.

Hope this thread finds someone with some experience to work with you. There's only so much you can learn from books, the internet, etc. There's no replacement for hands on in-person training in the woods.

Dan, I feel your pain. I've been on some of those one sided deals. A neighbor still owes me about a grand from cleaning scrap at my place last fall. I'm gonna try and get it out of him in construction work this spring.

Southern Decatur County, South of Greensburg.
lil far south for me but if ever in N/W Indiana I go out scouting for free wood on the weekends and this is a great thread dan hope you dont mind it getting all the attention.

manyhobies

it seems like keeping your word, or your end of the bargain/deal isn't valued much at all these days. I just pay all my debts (monetary or otherwise), and try to be the neighbor I'd like to have. frustrating, but better than being an island.

as for your current helpers...what about making wooden toys, birdhouses, planters, or something else for them? you said you have tools and a lathe (maybe it's for metal?), so why not bang something out that they or their family will appreciate? you know..."here's a wooden car for your kids" type of thing.

cheers!

I have this arrangement type now . it works great for me I have eight saws running and I didnt have a splitter so I offered my cutting area for splitting services. I cut for a friend who brings five or six fellows with him and I bring four guys that work for me . I only have a 3/4 ton truck my friend a dump truck . We get all of our cutting done then everyone grabs the bucked up wood and carries it close to the splitter where the guy who dulls a chain first ends up . I maintain his saws and chains as I have all the equipment for that part. As far as gas and oil goes we both bring our own mix for the simple fact im a 93/synthetic user and him using 89/and whatever he can grab off a shelf user . Bar oil is just up for grabs between us . I and my friend usually go in and fall the ones we want to take in a evening then the weekend everyone comes out to cut em down . I usually get a little more for it being my land and maintaining his saws . But its not by much maybe a pickup load more . This deal works out pretty good for me and how it came about was he was looking for a spot to cut and I needed the splitter at that time . Now I have all the equipment I need to get by but we still stick to the original deal just because who knows when something will break and you can always use a friend . I found him at my local saw shop . He was getting daws worked on for minor stuff such as high and low adjustments . I just struck up a conversation then started offering my knowledge and it worked out from there . Good luck to you this type of venture takes two pretty laid back individuals as there isnt too much bumping of heads but its one of the best forms of producing the most firewood in my opinion . I couldnt go to the rental place and pick a splitter up and do what we used to do as fast as the extra hands . Great post too by the way glad im not the only one that does it this way or is looking to anyway.

Dan, you've got a great idea here. I have help from time to time, but I spend more time supervising and trying to teach than doing anything else, so it's not real productive. I've sure seen the amount of wood a handful of experienced guys can put up in a day, let alone when a couple dozen show up at Denny's charity cuts.

I'd make a road trip down to help ya out, but my problem is time. Work wants all of mine right now. I had last weekend off, and didn't get anything done. Likely working this weekend, and there's no sign of it slowing down in the near future. It's not a bad problem to have in these times, but it is frustrating.

Anyone in the NE Twin Cities metro or western WI looking for a cutting partner, I'm game. My splitter isn't real mobile unless you have a tractor to run it, but my saws and tools sure are. I've always got something that needs cutting, sometimes just "junk" wood, sometimes good stuff.

For anyone wondering where I am, I'm 4 miles north of Star Prairie, WI.

Hopefully, this will turn into the Firewood section's version of the Swap Meet, with members helping each other out. If you guys think it's a good idea, I'll volunteer some credits to sticky this.

Steve we've got get some cutting done. I know you've mentioned it before and I've never taken you up on the offer but when your work schedule opens up some weekend let me know if your interested.

ManyHobies your to far from me to share firewood with but I'd be happy to help ya cut some up just let me know, my saws sit more than they get used so it would do them and me good I don't need anything in return! Great thread BTW.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from others... Maybe we are an island and are to struggle with life alone.

Yes and no. Your way of thinking is totally and completely valid, but your bent towards honesty and negotiating a fair give-and-take betweeen people will be taken advantage of. But what's the option, to become a cynical hermit? Sure hope not.

I like to think that it is just a matter of persistence and, frankly, some degree of chance in finding the right folks to commune with, but I think the effort should be worth it. If you don't try, you are guaranteed not to succeed. You're not alone, just in a minority. Keep trying, you'll find the right crew sooner or later.

I think it's a great idea...definately needs to be a sticky. CPU if your looking to cut is Mason too far? I have family in Mason and there is more wood down on their property than they will ever use before it rots. I'm sure you could work something out w/ them...they are fantastic people and I spend a week down their hunting every year and cut just to keep trials clear and what they use in their fireplace.

I think it's a great idea...definately needs to be a sticky. CPU if your looking to cut is Mason too far? I have family in Mason and there is more wood down on their property than they will ever use before it rots. I'm sure you could work something out w/ them...they are fantastic people and I spend a week down their hunting every year and cut just to keep trials clear and what they use in their fireplace.

I'm game for that, for sure! PM inbound.

ManyHobies I hope you find someone to help. I have a few guys that all burn wood and we help each other out and this kind of arrangement does work well. If I were closer to you I would include you but we are in the Eau Claire area and that is probably at least 2 hours away from you. Great idea and good thread as well. Good Luck!

Great idea and oddly enough this is one of the reasons I started to look around on site when I found it was to find someone to learn from and maybe run my eqiumpment a little more :rock: I live in the downriver area (Detroit surburbs) I am looking for someone to help cut split what ever they may need I am willing to travel somewhat maybe to Toledeo if its right really dont need the wood just looking to do more cutting and splitting just a thought

I live in Marshall mi. I have family in springport and mason, if you guys close need anything just hollar. If someone needs the wood, I have permission to cut 30so acres of tops near homer. I load the trailer with rounds and split it all at home.

Im open for helping and sharing.

I'm in the Knoxville, TN area and another member (ptjeep) helps me cut, but he doesn't burn wood. I had always cut alone till he started helping me and boy what a help he is. If there is anyone else in the area, I always say the more the merrier.

Okay......this thread is taking shape! I'm happy that others are benefiting from it too!

It's always nice to have bucked up a tree, turn around and look back and it's in the truck! Or close to it! LoL!

This weekend is booked for me....but...next weekend I'll probably be cutting at Zumbrota on 3-10-2012 for my inlaws. They're getting low on wood too. Anyone available?

I think I'll start a Facebook event. Who here around me is on FB and would like to be added to the event?

Last edited:
Many Hobies, I saw this thread and I just wanted to say you seem like one heck of a nice guy. You're a true American and anyone should be proud to have a neighbor like you.

Good luck on your wood cutting. And glad you have a Dodge.

Great idea ! If I were closer I would give you a hand. All of my friends always offer to help, but when it comes to actually showing up Im all alone...

Latest posts

Back