Looking for a heavy duty lap saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbluegrass

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello ,
I am new to this forum. I am looking for a lap saw. I used to use the old homelite series saws. I used c series saws for falling trees (like the c52, c51, c72 man what a workhorse these saw were). Then I would use the old blue xl series (made in the 1960's), to trim and cut up laps. My xl 12 has always treated me well. Unfortantly, it is old and wore out.

Well here is my situation now. I am using a Husky 272 and I love it. I can fall the trees and it never misses a lick. I am not a logger, but I do only burn firewood to heat the house(keeping costs down). With what I burn and sell , I cut about 15 cords a year. When I put a saw in a tree I expect it to eat!! Well, I was hoping to find a very reliable, heavy duty, saw to cut up laps. The 272 is a little bit bulky for this. I know I do not cut alot of wood per year, but I want something that will last for alot of years to come. Of course , every dealer you talk to has the best saw known to man. I have been reading the posts and it looks like everyone seems to like the stihl 026, or the husky 55. Can someone give me their opinion on these, and others if you think they would be good for cutting up laps. I read a post , that the even numbered stihl's were a commerical grade. How is the 026 different than the 025? What makes it a commerical grade?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you mrbluegrass

Idunno what a 'lap' is, but I can tell you about the differences between an 025 and 026.
The 026 has: better carb, better piston and jug, 2 rings instead of 1, better air filtration, more power.
It's almost like the odd number series aren't even made by the same company. About the only similarity between the odd numbered stihls and even numbered ones is the color.
I never ran a husky 55, but I can tell you that the 026 will last you a long time with great performance. I'd recommend an 18" bar with chisel chain.

lap saw

Hello again,

What we call laps are basically the limbs in the top of the tree. Not the log or trunk of the tree. The name laps came from loggers. When they cut everything away from the log, the laps are what is left. I don't know what the proper name is. What I am looking for is a Heavy duty saw to cut the limbs up into firewood with. The 272 is a little bit bulky for this. I apologize for not being more specific, I guess I am just an ole country boy without alot of schooling. Thanks for your help.

Yup, the 026 is a GREAT limbing saw. It's always been one of my favorite 'ground saws'.
kdhotsaw may be able to give you (and me) specifics on how to modify the muffler to make it run cooler with more power. I've always run them stock and found them to be a very easy saw to run.

The 026 is proven, I have never used one. The Husky 55 is almost as good and usually more than 100 dollars cheaper. The 346xp is about the same as the 026 in price and performance, but the 346xp revs a hair higher, which some people like. For another pound and another hp, get the new 357xp. Good luck

Last edited:
mrbluegrass,
Huskyman is right.The stihls are great saws but the husqvarna's at the same size will outperform them and then if you modify the ports and open up the mufflers they really produce some awesome power for a small saw. Husqvarna's 300 series would be my choice.

Now Huskyman i know orange is your favorite color but homelite 360 and homedelight man are going to say it should be red
kdhotsaw

husky 55

Ok. I found a husky 55 new for 325.00. Is this a fair price? Also what is the difference between the husky 55 and the husky farm 55. Thank you for all your replys

The 55 has .325 chain stock and 55 rancher has 3/8 chain. I have a 55 and would not recommend 3/8 chain. It has a lot more vibration than .325 and the 55 will pull .325 at higher rpm which means it will actually cut faster with the smaller chain. The 55 has higher porting than the 55 rancher which means it has more hp at the sacrifice of a little torque. Both are good saws but the 55 has the decompression valve. Get a 55, ask for a 16inch bar, and 21LP full chisel Oregon chain and you will have three inch shavings and a lot of fun! BTW a 55 can pull up to a 22inch bar but you will like it better with the small bar trust me:cool: And $325 is not a bad price but if you get him to throw in a case or another bar or something then I would call it a good deal.

Hello, I have a brand new Homelite Super XL, that should keep you sawing for another 20 years. Email me if you are interested in buying it. Nothing beats all- metal construction. Jonathan

If you buck up big firewood and sometimes have to rip them down to move or get on a splitter, then get a 20in bar and full chisle skip chain. Since most firewood is cut to 18 in a 20in bar will cut those that are a little bigger. and the full skip will not clog up the saw alot.

Latest posts

Back