Looking For A Log Jack... (need help)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keyless Chuck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Okay, so it's been a week since my last firewood toy... This new tool/toy I would like to get is a log lift. Now getting scrounged wood thats not cut to my meager 18" length or in the bush I find myself hitting dirt every now and then with my chain. Granted I'm not pro's like a lot of you and just do this for fun, started the past year. So my question, the log lift tool, is it worth it? Of course, what do you recommend? I rather have a top of the line tool that will last the rest of my life, so say 20-100 years life expectancy. This is what looks good to me so far, the Timberjack.

View attachment 306822

I don't own a cant hook at all:msp_sad:, but I've read some good things about the Timberjack shown in your post. Another option for a little more money would be the Stihl with the optional foot. I had a chance to look at the Stihl today while I was picking up some files, and it's definitely a serious tool. Good luck, and keep us posted. Maybe do a quick review of whatever you choose.

I have 2 of them...an older heavy built one and an Oregon Log Jaw. IMHO, they are more of a gadget than a tool, to be honest they hang on the wall most of the time. They are nice to roll 8"-16" logs, otherwise, if possible, it's quicker to prop one end of the log up a few inches off the ground or cut 3/4 through, roll it over, and finish the cuts.

^What Cheesecutter said. I've never found use for one.

Just make your bucking cuts partway (mostly) through the log, staying well clear of rocks & dirt. Then roll it partway with a cant hook, and finish it off.

I've been using a big heavy old wooden peavey that was given to me. Been eyeing LogRite's aluminum cant hooks; LogRite-branded tools are powder-coated blue, the ones they make for Stihl are coated orange. Good Tools, the LogRites that is.

Anyone interested in a peavey?

I have this one from Northern Tool
View attachment 306874
Northern Industrial Timberjack with Fiberglass Handle — 4Ft.L | Logging Hand Tools| Northern Tool + Equipment

On sale for $44.95!

I bought it for the cant hook. The shaft is 1-7/8 in. diameter SOLID fiberglass, you couldn't break it with a truck and chain. I don't use it as a timberjack (with the foot). Wood that is big enough to need the timberjack is too big to be lifted that way. I cut 3/4 thru and roll (make 6 or 8 cuts, then roll) then finish the cuts. Works perfectly for rolling logs, even big ones.

View attachment 306874
Northern Industrial Timberjack with Fiberglass Handle — 4Ft.L | Logging Hand Tools| Northern Tool + Equipment

On sale for $44.95!

I bought it for the cant hook. The shaft is 1-7/8 in. diameter SOLID fiberglass, you couldn't break it with a truck and chain. I don't use it as a timberjack (with the foot). Wood that is big enough to need the timberjack is too big to be lifted that way. I cut 3/4 thru and roll (make 6 or 8 cuts, then roll) then finish the cuts. Works perfectly for rolling logs, even big ones.

+1

I've been using one for the past few years and have been very pleased. It can roll some beastly logs.

View attachment 306874

On sale for $44.95!

What i don't like about those is the back and fourth and lifting time and time again.. I have issues walking (use a cane) so i figured it would save me some work but in truth it caused me more work and takes longer to do less.. Save your money.. I would buy its value in files and continue on with life..

I use mine to roll heavy logs I can't roll by hand or foot (much like a cant hook) but rarely use it to jack up a log for cutting. Do I use it every time I cut firewood? No, but it can save me a lot of work sometimes.

I have a brand x that came from TSC, works Ok with the right size logs. Too small, no grab, too big..well....too big sucks for any hand tool really.

If you are in around 20 inch wood they are pretty nice.

View attachment 306874

On sale for $44.95!

Now looking back and reading everyones post I will rarely use the stand. Going to pick up the Northern Tool one for the cant hook like you recommended. Was looking for a magical tool to get the logs off the ground, when in all reality it will probably be easier just to continue to cut half way then roll :arrogant:

Now looking back and reading everyones post I will rarely use the stand. Going to pick up the Northern Tool one for the cant hook like you recommended. Was looking for a magical tool to get the logs off the ground, when in all reality it will probably be easier just to continue to cut half way then roll :arrogant:

They work as advertised in *some* logs. I use mine, roughly, half the time I am cutting. Just depends. I always take it with me though.

So it's not a necessity and a tool I would use everyday, just something that comes in handy every now and then? Huh, well I got some stacking to do, it's noon, a little far behind today. Going to think it through, thanks guys!

had my 5' Peavy for probably 25yrs now...added a 4' Timberjack/Cant hook about 12yrs back but quickly cut off the 'jack' portion of the thing as it was pretty useless for what I was cutting. just a plain Cant hook is much better than a TJ, IMO.
Added a hookeroon a few years back for moving rounds...nice! :D
The Peavy still gets the most use.

What i don't like about those is the back and fourth and lifting time and time again.. I have issues walking (use a cane) so i figured it would save me some work but in truth it caused me more work and takes longer to do less.. Save your money.. I would buy its value in files and continue on with life..

Right, that's why I use it as a cant hook. Lifting repetetively to cut and lift again is pointless. I make multiple cuts down the log, then roll the log and finish all the cuts. I can cut for several days without having to sharpen.

Right, that's why I use it as a cant hook. Lifting repetetively to cut and lift again is pointless. I make multiple cuts down the log, then roll the log and finish all the cuts. I can cut for several days without having to sharpen.

Except during mud season, which is a good part of the cutting year around here. Gas, sharpen, repeat.
Not sure I'd ever go for a 'logjack' type thing myself, but a cant hook would be nice for rolling 'em over when they're wet and slippery. :dizzy:

Sorry for my absence, I decided to at least go for the cant hook for now. Have at least a few trees I will be hitting up this fall/winter that it will come in handy, probably. So what cant hook would you recommend? Or just a cheaper one would just be fine?

Sorry for my absence, I decided to at least go for the cant hook for now. Have at least a few trees I will be hitting up this fall/winter that it will come in handy, probably. So what cant hook would you recommend? Or just a cheaper one would just be fine?

got mine from Bailey's...figure out what length will be best for you. Mine is 4' but they come in several lengths.

If most of the wood you plan to use it on is smaller than 10 inch diameter a cheaper one will probably be OK. But if you plan to use it on bigger logs I would get a higher quality one. The hook itself is WAY better especially the point.

Latest posts

Back