Looking For A Log Jack... (need help)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Log Jack

Any good one will be a great tool in your woodcutting arsenal. I have one I made and it is worth every minute I spent making it.

Any good one will keep that log up off the ground easily and keep your chain out of the dirt.

Nosmo

Well I have never used one, but I think lifting the log up off the ground would be great on the somewhat smaller logs, then having the ability to roll the larger ones would be priceless. Since Bailey's had 5 buck shipping I saw fit to order my Logrite 78 inch mega hook cant that I have wanted for a couple years now. I figure go big or go home. The extra leverage that a few feet will give you will be amazing I think. Second, the hook is huge so it will hook any tree I'm likely to cut down, and they say it will hook as small as 4 inch. The larger the hook the easier it hooks the bigger logs. I ordered on the 22nd and now am waiting till the 29th for that big brown truck to arrive. 78" Megahook - LogRite Tools LLC

I haven't found the need for a long hook like that, but it will definitely work on the biggest logs here. I've rolled 3' diameter logs with the 48" Northern Tool fiberglass model.

I bought an all metal one from Tractor Supply, bent it trying to lift too much, modified it so it doesn't bend again:laugh:
Painted it bright orange 'cause I forgot it in the woods and was a pain to find:laugh:
I put hitch pins where the bolts were at the "T" that rests on the ground, so I can remove easily to use it to roll the logs.

Peavy/Cant hooks can be used for a lot more than just rolling logs. try to stand up a 3'x18" oak round for noodling w/o one some time ;) Once you learn how to manipulate rounds with the hook you'll never try to muscle one again. I've loaded big rounds that would be difficult for 2 people to lift into my truck...by myself...with the Cant hook. Get one to the back of the truck, cut side up, flop another onto it, standing up and then flop onto the tailgate...done.
attachment.php
(dead Tamarack pine but you get the idea)
Leverage 101 :D

Peavy/Cant hooks can be used for a lot more than just rolling logs. try to stand up a 3'x18" oak round for noodling w/o one some time ;) Once you learn how to manipulate rounds with the hook you'll never try to muscle one again. I've loaded big rounds that would be difficult for 2 people to lift into my truck...by myself...with the Cant hook. Get one to the back of the truck, cut side up, flop another onto it, standing up and then flop onto the tailgate...done.(dead Tamarack pine but you get the idea)
Leverage 101 :D

Nice loading! I have done what you said, plus built step ramps with different sized rounds.

of course the easiest for me is the tractor tote box that goes right to the ground.

Nice loading! I have done what you said, plus built step ramps with different sized rounds.

of course the easiest for me is the tractor tote box that goes right to the ground.

many years ago I would just pick up big rounds and throw them in the bed but after 3 back surgeries I don't do that anymore :p
leverage rules!

Somebody emailed me this pic the other day. I know nothing about it, if it is homemade or available commercially. Looks like a great idea though, wouldn't be too hard to make your own...View attachment 312262

Last edited:
Somebody emailed me this pic the other day. I know nothing about it, if it is homemade or available commercially. Looks like a great idea though, wouldn't be too hard to make your own...

*That* is pretty slick!

Now if it was on the rear of a cargo trailer, so you could have a place to throw the cut off rounds handy, it would be slicker!

First post from a lurker, funny it'd be here. I put the word out to family and friends who cruise antique stores that I was looking for an old cant hook, cause I used one as a kid. Dad found me a beaut, probably 100 years old, handle was cut down to about 5 foot, and 2.5 inches thick. Had to sand and put 3 or 4 coats of varnish on it. Works great, and there's something about using old tools that's gratifying. Never go out without it, use it most but not all the time. Just like the one I used as a kid, except that one had like 8 feet of wood and you could roll just about anything with it.

I have an old cant hook from the farm. New handle and good.
The issue I had with the NT log lift with the fixed foot is that the log has to roll as it picks up for the foot to get under the log. Most of the time there are forks or branches to prevent it from rolling.

So I added a foot to my cant hook, that pivots on a bolt. Then the log does not roll so much. Lift, slide a chunk under, repeat.

My pics are at home. Later

Back