Looking for a new Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current “big” saw is an Echo 8000 which is 80cc. It’s cut a lot of wood and I’m looking to upgrade to a new Husky because my local shop (where I bought the Echo) now carries them. Looking for suggestions.
Also, cutting wood to 16”, how many cords should I expect out of a commercial saw? Just curious on that because I’m not sure I got what I expected out of the Echo.
That echo should run until your sick and sore looking at it in 16” wood, it would take a real
long time to wear it out, good cylinder well plated, if you keep enough oil in your mix and keep
the carb adjusted and filter clean, it will go a very long time, longer than anything with AT or MT
on it, the electronics combined with the ever increasing struggle to meet EPA figures, and the
decrease in weight leading to less materials used is not conducive to a cool running long life
for these saws. Your old Echo is the exact opposit, it won’t be the fastest, but it will last.

After spending some time looking at the Husky web page, I have a question for people who know more about saws than me (which isn’t hard by the way). Why are some saws considered to be better at felling and some considered better for bucking?

After spending some time looking at the Husky web page, I have a question for people who know more about saws than me (which isn’t hard by the way). Why are some saws considered to be better at felling and some considered better for bucking?
I personally would consider a good felling saw to also be a good bucking saw. A saw that is powerful enough to cut quickly and has a long enough bar to fell/buck from one side without needing to cut from both sides

Ideally a felling saw would have a wrap handle so you could fell from the safest side of the tree.

Downside of the wrap is you can’t flush cut stumps.

The good thing about the 372 and 390 is they still have adjustable carbs and are very easy to work on and your not tied to a dealer to put it on there diagnostic thingy- Both very popular models for fallers and firewood guys around my area and I build a lot of them myself and generally sold before I even get started on the rebuild- the two saws I take with me on firewood cutting, the 441 and 660 are both great saws in the Stihl line - the guys that use saws to earn a living are a good source of info.

IF you step up to larger than 70cc, you can't go wrong with a 390. The balance with a 32" is impeccable for my frame, a 6'3" beanpole.
I stopped in my local small engine shop a few days before Christmas and asked for the 390. Sadly, I was told it wouldn't be in until mid January....I ordered a 24" and 36" bar for it.

Latest posts

Back