Looking for a project saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Field

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been keeping my eye out for a nice project saw, either Stihl or Husqvarna something from 30-70cc's (not a top handled saw) that is new-ish (has safety brake and anti-vibration). I was thinking a 2 or 3 series husqvarna (340, 346xp etc....) any thought thanks, Jake!

I already have 3 372xp's, 550xp, ms 880, ms 170, ms 180, 009, 028

The 350 is a nice light 50cc saw when you are done. Easy to work on, lots of parts(both OEM and AM) available and if you dont have (or want to use) a case splitter to replace bearings, the bearings are "drop in" on the 350 after the engine is out. You can also remove the engine/muffler/carb assembly as a unit from the case. They respond well to minor mods like muffler mods and base gasket deletes to improve performance. If you have done rebuilds on the saws you listed in your opening post,you wont have a problem with the 350.

The 350 is a nice light 50cc saw when you are done. Easy to work on, lots of parts(both OEM and AM) available and if you dont have (or want to use) a case splitter to replace bearings, the bearings are "drop in" on the 350 after the engine is out. You can also remove the engine/muffler/carb assembly as a unit from the case. They respond well to minor mods like muffler mods and base gasket deletes to improve performance. If you have done rebuilds on the saws you listed in your opening post,you wont have a problem with the 350.
Ok, I will keep my eyes out for a 350 on my local CL

If the 350 doesn't have the metal intake clamp make sure you get it cheap. in great shape.... fully rebuilt properly they are worth about $300 ...250 is a more common price. keep that in mind when buying. if it needs a new intake clamp then it really needs a full teardown imho.

Check my sig for my youtube channel . ..best of luck

There are some nice 350's around that scored the p/c because of the plastic intake clamp as Mattyo mentioned above. The replacement metal intake clamp is MUCH easier to install with the motor out of the saw. The metal clamp ($12) can be substituted with the smallest radiator hose clamp available at a auto parts store much cheaper. You may want to try the AS forum that specifically deals w/ buying/selling/trading to look for a saw. I have bought/sold/traded several saws thru the forum and I have found our forum members much more knowlegable and easier to deal with than the fleabay crowd.

Back