Looking for a string trimmer (Kombi?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the fs 250 in action. Light years ahead of any four stroke.

Back from town. My goal was to compare all the trimmer brands with the Stihl 40.2cc engine, 13.9 lbs. total dry weight, and bicycle handle set-up of the FS 250.

My 1st stop was a Shindaiwa dealer. Their most popular commercial trimmer/brushcutter was a 23cc unit. Their largest unit on hand was a 28.9cc and it was heavy 15.7lbs. Primer Bulb was on the bottom of the unit, well out of harms way. The On-Off Switch and Trigger Safety assy is so-so. Good solid units.

The Echo dealer didn't have anything larger than the SRM-266U, a 25.4cc unit. The On-Off and trigger features were very similar to the Shindaiwa's, but a little sloppy in their actions. Primer Bulb was on the side of the engine.
Both Shindaiwa, and Echo's cables are exposed. A design feature that I noticed right off, as I'm always backing into brush, or crawling through barbwire fences with my trimmer. Although I've never got it hung, it keeps me cautious. The compatible SRM-410U 42.7cc, at 18.3 lbs. Trimmer lists for $579.

Last stop Stihl. She has several FS 250's ready to go. The On-Off and trigger features were similar in appearance as the other two, but very precise and smooth functions. The top of the engine, including the cable connections are covered. I like that. The Primer Bulb is located on the forward side of the engine. A feature that surprised me, but more convenient in after thought. Wasn't very fond of the weight and balance until the attendant brought out the harness and fitted it on me. Man that is a life saver. No weight to fight, just steer it. We discussed the two types of harnesses, and after I tried the standard one that comes with the unit, I will have no problems with it just as it is.

At the end of the day. They all were good looking units, some a little heavy, but with the bicycle handles and harness, they're great. For my personal use and experience on the ranch for yard, pasture fence, corrals, out buildings, and woodlot, I'm going with the hoss FS 250.

BTW SawTroll: They didn't have the new FS 240. :)

You will love that 250.

Sage,

Now that ya have a weedwhacker with some ambition.:cheers:

Next time you order from Baileys, make sure to get a shredder blade.
Bailey's - Windsor 300mm Shredder Blade with 3/4" Arbor

What they do to woody brush, Blackberry canes, and other thick clumps of growth like Nutsedge is obscene, and quite satisfying.
The 3mm blade holds up fine and spins up faster than the 4mm blade.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Get the Stihl top of the line harness, it is much better than the regular ones. I'm on hillsides and the beter harness makes the FS550 feel almost as easy to use as a FS250 or a 32 cc 4 stroke Honda.

The FS 550 takes a 19mm shaft and the FS 250 is a 25mm shaft. I use a triangle blade most of the time because I'm in brush and weeds. Bailey's cutters work well, and they are much cheaper.

Get a tube of the lube for the gears just above the cutting head.

Get the Stihl top of the line harness, it is much better than the regular ones. I'm on hillsides and the beter harness makes the FS550 feel almost as easy to use as a FS250 or a 32 cc 4 stroke Honda.

+1
The padded shoulder harness is worth it, no matter what model you run.

The best harness is what I thought I would need, but i'll use the regular one first, since the other will be extra anyways at $45. I use the Stihl Chisel Blade for saplings. It's awesome when it's sharp. I'm still trying to learn how to get that part down pat. For string I've been using .130". What do you all use on the FS 250?

+1
The padded shoulder harness is worth it, no matter what model you run.

Well; That was my original idea, but swinging it around in the shop ain't like hauling it around brush and trees on the side of a mountain. I'll just have'em throw the delux one in too.

My Stihl FS-76 with bike handlebar (bought new in 1993) suits me fine. The brushcutter blade with chainsaw teeth cuts through 1.5 acres of sagebrush up to 4" in diameter like a hot knife through butter. It also works well in thick, wild blackberry. The polycut blades work well in star thistle.

I will never put a brushcutter blade on a D-handle trimmer. I value my 10 toes too much.

Trade up to the better harness. You can deal before you buy, but after it is full price. After 2+ tanks is when the better harness is worth every penny. I got mine with a used 550 and use it for all of my brush cutters.

I use Bailey's triangle cutters most of the time. I have a beaver blade, Honda 10" saw tooth, and Stihl 9" kinda saw tooth. I run the larger deflectors with the larger triangle blades. I have a lot of brush so I don't bother with the string trimmers. Stihl recommends the limit stop deflector on the saw blades and that is a 9" for the 250 and a 10" for the 550.

At the end of the day. They all were good looking units, some a little heavy, but with the bicycle handles and harness, they're great. For my personal use and experience on the ranch for yard, pasture fence, corrals, out buildings, and woodlot, I'm going with the hoss FS 250.

BTW SawTroll: They didn't have the new FS 240. :)

No surprices there, but both Stihl and Husky have better harnesses than the standard one on the 200/250. like you, I haven't really seen the need though...:msp_smile:

I found the FS240 on the German site, no surprice that it isn't in the US yet.

The best harness is what I thought I would need, but i'll use the regular one first, since the other will be extra anyways at $45. I use the Stihl Chisel Blade for saplings. It's awesome when it's sharp. I'm still trying to learn how to get that part down pat. For string I've been using .130". What do you all use on the FS 250?

I use the same saw blade, but the line is 2.4 and 2.7mm in AutoCut heads.

Checked with a local dealer this morning to see if he carried the FS 250, and accessories i was looking for. Yep ! But the harnesses he had were those that the State Park uses on their brushcutters. Sounds good to me.
I got a two year warrantee with it when I purchased the 6pk of Ultra oil. Although I have plenty of grease for my farm equipment, i got a tube anyway. Got the Limit Stop Guard for my saw blade too. Got home with it and set up my harness and balance, then put it to a test. ~ Man; I didn't know what I'd been missin'. SWEET is all I can say. Thanks guys; for the encouraging push!
attachment.php

Did you check with your dealer by any chance?

I stopped in by mine today, I think I will chalk off the Kombi. He said they can't handle the "saw tooth brush blades"

He mentioned that if I will be doing any brush cutting at all he recommends the bike handle version... Now seeing about 90% of its use that I forsee is trimming around the fence, house, barns ext.... Then 5-10% will be brush and vine killing. Now, do I go with the bike handle version, or stick with the D-handle yet?

The FS250 is still a lot....

He said that the FS130 will do a good job. ???? So?????

Now is the FS90 and FS130 a 4-mix or 2-stroke?

I'm not sure that I agree that they can't handle the saw tooth blades. I have one on my KM130 and it seems to work just fine.

As for which version to go with, why choose? You could get the D-handle version AND a set of bike handlebars to swap on the few times that you need them. I tend to use my kombi the most with the D handle and the curved shaft trimmer head, and then swap the bikes on if I'm going to be doing any brush cutting or trimming with the straight shaft trimmer. I also have the pole saw attachment, which has been worth every penny. The only thing I regret about the pole saw is not getting the carbon fiber extension. The metal one adds way too much weight.

The Burning Rom; at first glance it does look the same, but there are a few variances. Mine came in a sealed Stihl bag, so it was made especially for Stihl.

As far as the Kombi handling the saw blade. My little Ryobi 22cc handled the chisel blade okay, but I didn't try any tricks with it either.
attachment.php

Man that 250 is looking better every day....

If I had the coin I would be ordering one today...

Right now I'm debating over the Husky 326, of course the FS250 and I stopped at the echo dealer and he has the SRM260 I think it is. He bought a lot of the and has a good price on them, but only the D handle and it is cable drive, not solid shaft.

I need to check out the Husky in person yet, but Im thinking if I don't go with the FS250 I'll go with the 336.

Of course seeing I ran Dingers 250 already and know what that beast can do I'm worried I could be disappointed down the road.

Last night I took my neighbors FS90 out for a test run. I was not impressed, (for my use). I took it right to stuff that will be the equivalent to 90% of what I'll be using it in, and it would just load up with grass. I was a little disappointed. Now it seemed like a torquey engine, but it could use more velocity to beat the crap out of those weeds.

I did find a good deal on a new FS250 though, a year or two old model.

Just my luck I don't have the cash fo it though.

I know exactly what's going to happen too, in a month when I have the cash I will go to the dealer to pick it up and he will say "yea, just sold it last week." One of those things were no one looked at it for 2 years, then when I'm ready to bite its gone.

Story of my life.... I know that's going to happen too:hmm3grin2orange:

Does anyone else have that issue? Or is it just me...

On another note, what shinny's are equivalent to the Husky 336, and Stihl FS250? I found out we have a dealer in town.

Also what should I look at in the Redmax lineup? Last night I see our local John Deere mower dealer is supposedly a dealer for Redmax, I'll give them a holler today to see what they have.

I know Snelling has been talking how well built their small saws are for years...

Back