Looking for a string trimmer (Kombi?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we do have a Redmax dealer in town:rock:

I assumed that they would be a Stihl dealer seeing they are a John Deere dealer, they only deal in mowers and landscaper stuff, so I never get to that one.

I got some prices and they are very very very competitive compared to Stihl and Husky equivalent. It's looking like value wise the Redmax is going to be hard to beat..

To many freaking options.... My head is now spinning.

Well, I bit the bullet:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

My FS250 will be here Tuesday :hmm3grin2orange: I told my dealer I found a good deal at another dealer and he asked me what they wanted for it, I told him (didn't tell him it was cash price:hmm3grin2orange:). My dealer pretty much matched the price, charged it to our farm, hey, the farm needs a trimmer:rock:

I spent all afternoon looking at different dealers. I was about to go with the Redmax, but I wasn't to keen on the fact they all have non adjustable carbs. But other than that, Redmax makes a sweet trimmer. And in our area Redmax is gaining a lot of feet with the landscape guys. This dealer can't keep trimmers on his shelf, he said alot of the die hard Stihl heads are ditching the 4-mix.

Went to the Shinny dealer who is also a Echo dealer. He told me I didn't want a Shinny, go with a Echo. I'm not to keen on Echo's cable drive shaft, I told him that and he wouldn't listen. He kept telling me I don't want a Shinny.

So, I finally bit it and ordered a FS250.

Dang you Dinger, my wife will never come to your house to play again:hmm3grin2orange:

And Gink.... Seems like I follow you in your purchase.... You were a big reason I ended up with a 7900 too....

Now I need to find the right brush blades and look at a good harness. Suggestions????

Congratulations on your choice. You got the best IMO. I put nearly 2 tanks through mine today. Covered 1/4mile of fence, and around some outbuildings. Man is it ever awesome in the weeds. Very responsive to the trigger. Balance is the key. I want mine to balance just off the ground, not touching. Walking the fence is not level like a yard, so it needs to ride with your stride.

Well, I bit the bullet:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

My FS250 will be here Tuesday :hmm3grin2orange: I told my dealer I found a good deal at another dealer and he asked me what they wanted for it, I told him (didn't tell him it was cash price:hmm3grin2orange:). My dealer pretty much matched the price, charged it to our farm, hey, the farm needs a trimmer:rock:

I spent all afternoon looking at different dealers. I was about to go with the Redmax, but I wasn't to keen on the fact they all have non adjustable carbs. But other than that, Redmax makes a sweet trimmer. And in our area Redmax is gaining a lot of feet with the landscape guys. This dealer can't keep trimmers on his shelf, he said alot of the die hard Stihl heads are ditching the 4-mix.

Went to the Shinny dealer who is also a Echo dealer. He told me I didn't want a Shinny, go with a Echo. I'm not to keen on Echo's cable drive shaft, I told him that and he wouldn't listen. He kept telling me I don't want a Shinny.

So, I finally bit it and ordered a FS250.

Dang you Dinger, my wife will never come to your house to play again:hmm3grin2orange:

And Gink.... Seems like I follow you in your purchase.... You were a big reason I ended up with a 7900 too....

Now I need to find the right brush blades and look at a good harness. Suggestions????

For quick jobs the cheapie Stihl harness works OK. Spend any time murdering Sassafrass or blackberry clumps and you'll be hating on it though.
The Husky Duo55 rig has been pretty good for me. Granted it runs around 50 bucks, but it's $$ well spent.
One of these days I'm going to upgrade to a three point rig, but then that involves a belt in the harness and I'm not real cozy with that idea yet.

Harnesses - Product accessories

Blade wise, the cheapo Forrester chainsaw tooth blades are a must(Next time they go on sale), as is a good Tri-blade, and any more of those Sandvik grass blades I got from ya.

LOL!!
Hey, I pointed ya towards the 323 and found a 326 for 100 bucks less than the 250.
Don't be blaming me cuz' the farm needed a weed whacker.
Just be thankfull Frank hasn't discovered Top fuel funny cars yet.:potstir:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Trying it on for size right outa the box.
attachment.php

If you use a string, be prepared to be covered top to bottum with clippings.

Congrats on the 250!

My Stihldealer says he is not happy with the 4 mix engines.

For quick jobs the cheapie Stihl harness works OK. Spend any time murdering Sassafrass or blackberry clumps and you'll be hating on it though.
The Husky Duo55 rig has been pretty good for me. Granted it runs around 50 bucks, but it's $$ well spent.
One of these days I'm going to upgrade to a three point rig, but then that involves a belt in the harness and I'm not real cozy with that idea yet.

Harnesses - Product accessories

Blade wise, the cheapo Forrester chainsaw tooth blades are a must(Next time they go on sale), as is a good Tri-blade, and any more of those Sandvik grass blades I got from ya.

LOL!!
Hey, I pointed ya towards the 323 and found a 326 for 100 bucks less than the 250.
Don't be blaming me cuz' the farm needed a weed whacker.
Just be thankfull Frank hasn't discovered Top fuel funny cars yet.:potstir:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yea, I haven't looked at my catalog since the first of the month, but I think they are in sale again... I think it was about a year ago I ordered em for you.

Yea, those huskys were a bill cheaper, but for a bill more I can be playing a whole new ball game.

In the end I spent way more than I intended on, but I might as well buy once...

And yea, Frank doesn't need to get into any funny cars, you don't either:hmm3grin2orange:

Not sure I know how I'm going to break this one to the wife yet......

She's going to be fix in on using this on me

aee848db-3ad2-4e5d.jpg

It'll be one of those deals were I scrap my old one and being this one in:)

Her: "I thought your string trimmer was broken?"

Me: "yea, I fixxed it"

After all the talk of the FS-250, broke mine out yesterday....

Don't use it at all hardly, if it has 50 hrs on it, I would be surprised.

I had big plans for it when I bought it 10yrs ago, but it ended up mainly trimming the 1/2 acre of yard that the $60 Bolens takes care of now. I've needed the blade just a couple times over the years.

But had been neglecting some hillside ditchline I usually trim, and figured it needed some run time since it would be way too much for the little Bolens.

Man, I had forgotten how strong that thing really is! :dizzy:

And finally got to "test" the synthetic Moto-mix out too. I had always ran the Stihl orange bottle oil at 50:1, and where the exhaust exits on these, the flywheel fan will suck exhaust back into the motor.

I've always found these little specs of oil on the starter cover, so much so that over the years it had even stained the fan shroud.

Ran the Moto-mix through it, and nothing. Not one spec of oil anywhere other than a small wet spot below the muffler outlet. Don't know what, if anything, that means, but it does seem there is a difference.

Was not really ever a believer in all the synthetic oil stuff, always figured oil is oil.

But it seems the Moto-mix is cleaner burning, and as others have said, would not carbon up nearly as bad as the regular oil.

Now, may have to test an ethanol-synthetic mix to see what it does...

Don't worry about the cost. I've already seen a price increase of over 6 bills for the FS 250.
I didn't ask, but my dealer only charged me $29.99 for the Pro harness.

i just bought the husqvarna 326 that someone mentioned earlier. happy w/ the choice i made (just felt better in my hands than the fs 90) - balance and weight felt great. those were the 2 that i had narrowed it down to for keeping my 1 acre under control (no real brush cutting). i landscaped for 8 years in a previous life and used stihl and echo brands. i never really enjoyed the harnesses. most of the trimming i do i have to constantly be raising and lowering the engine to get the right cut. i can see how it'd be useful if clearing a hill or a field, but that's about it. my 2 cents anyway...

Don't worry about the cost. I've already seen a price increase of over 6 bills for the FS 250.

I doubt I'll be getting any other discounts.....

They knocked close to $80 off of list....

Given in the past 6 months we spent over $300K with them, in all actuality they should have thrown in the trimmer:hmm3grin2orange:

My FS-250 was $399.95 back in 2003...

Course I also thought "dang, $400 for a string trimmer?!?!?!?!"

I'd replace it with same if anything ever happened to it though... :smile:

I need to place a order and I found some great deals on blades. You FS250 owners what style blades are you running? Got pics of the style?

I'm going to get a few with chainsaw teeth on for sure.

What about the three blade style?
How many tooth blade?

It is a 20mm arbor right?
How many inch blade can it power?

My experience with blades is limited to the Quad and Stihl,s Chisel Tooth. The chiseltooth wins hands down when it's sharp.

I only use either a string or a 3 or point blade from Stihl. I would not expect to much from a saw tooth blade on a 250. I would only use it occasionally because it seems a little on the lower power end for a lot of sappling work. For the most part a three point blade or a shredder blade would be sufficient. For larger sapplings that are in the field I use the 3 point. It wacks away at the sappling real quick. The shredder blade is ideal for brambles etc. if you have such a problem. I don't so I don't have one but friends do and it works great. I use the string head for around the house and the blade for the forest and fence line. I have never been happy with the 4 point blade. It doesn't work well for the rough stuff and for grass the string is much better.

I only use either a string or a 3 or point blade from Stihl. I would not expect to much from a saw tooth blade on a 250. I would only use it occasionally because it seems a little on the lower power end for a lot of sappling work. For the most part a three point blade or a shredder blade would be sufficient. For larger sapplings that are in the field I use the 3 point. It wacks away at the sappling real quick. The shredder blade is ideal for brambles etc. if you have such a problem. I don't so I don't have one but friends do and it works great. I use the string head for around the house and the blade for the forest and fence line. I have never been happy with the 4 point blade. It doesn't work well for the rough stuff and for grass the string is much better.

7 Sleeper,

Grab one of the Forrester chainsaw tooth blades and give it a run sometime.
They flat EAT the saplings the tri-blades simply beat up and wont begin to cut.

I got a brush pile about the size of a small house from an afternoon of cutting with the 250 with one, and a second pile growing to about the same size, from 2-4" Sassafrass and field Cherry popping up in our field.

The 250 is not a proper forestry clearing saw, but they come darn close. ;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back