Looking for career change

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSchaeferPants

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I read through another post since it was a similar thread, but didn't want to hijack that one.

So I just turned 28 this month, spent 7 years in the Army, been out a while and still not sure what I want to do. I've always enjoyed playing outside in the woods, doing yard work; calm, relaxing, hard work, I can do it all day, and you sleep great :D

So I always peruse CL jobs (CL is huge up here) and see jobs for tree climbers, or anything in this field. But it's always experience only, years of experience. I understand why, but how would I get my foot in the door for a career in this? Not sure exactly what I'd like to do, but for the last 6 months I've been felling, cutting, splitting and stacking for our wood insert, planning on not using the furnace this year. I don't have real professional experience, but I enjoy the work. I think I'd enjoy being a climber, I'm like a monkey, no problem with heights, I'm familiar with similar gear (Army repelling, etc.).

Just, how would I start? Hell I'd even enjoy doing firewood, or a small company that does a little bit of everything. Money's not an issue, I don't plan on being rich, besides my wife was medically discharged so she has a bit coming in for the rest of her life. So I just want something I enjoy doing, and earn a check while doing it.

I'm just hoping to get some words of wisdom perhaps from some guys who owns or runs a business, and their opinion on hiring new guys.

Hey, I was just reading my VFW magazine and they were talking about all the opportunities for work in Canada. Check vetjobs.com and opportunityawaits.com. It seemed like they were having a hiring fair in the Seattle area too.

Your best bet is to get on with a small but good outfit that needs climbers and groundsmen. Start as a groundman and learn quick, it won't be long until you're in the trees.

just so you know, I was in almost exactly the same situation as you are about three years ago.

Last edited:
Find a tree company in your area see if they need help on the ground you'll be dragging brush and other grunt work for low pay but if money isn't an issue this is the easiest way to get your foot in the door. Show up early everyday, bust your butt and show interest in climbing I'm sure they'll have you up there in no time. Your competition for ground jobs will mostly be drunks and drug addicts that can barely show up let alone put in a hard days work not too hard to out shine those guys.

You could always start a small firewood business of your own if this really isn't about money and more of a hobby pay check. Get a used f450 dump and some connections with tree companies that will dump wood on your property instead of them disposing of it. Cut/split and deliver not much too on that end of things. I know a few guys that cruise craigslist looking for easy drops or lot clearing with low risk of property damage they go out and cut the trees for the firewood to flip and sell, best to have insurance if you get yourself into any of that.

Best piece of advice I can give if you're serious about tree climbing is to give it a shot first, take a course or find an experienced climber in your area to show you the ropes perhaps you can help him out for free in exchange for some climbing experience. I've taught a few guys the basics and although they weren't afraid of heights and could run a saw on the ground once they hit 100 feet up bombing the top out of a tree standing on spikes it suddenly wasn't their cup of tea. Good luck whichever path you choose!

Thanks for the replies guys. I would like a smaller business with a good group of people to work for. I do see grounds work type work from time to time, but it's based out of places further away. I'll keep an eye out. I'll be moving by the beginning of next year, so if we have our way, we'll have a bit of property, so if I can find some places that need to dump wood, I could do that on the side, and grind up leftovers for mulch.a

Keep it coming, always grateful to hear what everyone has to say.

Back