Looking for Cedar or Black locust logs in Virginia or Maryland

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysonstammler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in the northern virginia area looking for cedar or black locust logs that are about 20ft long. If you have any logs or know of anyone that I should reach out to please let me know.

Looking for logs for a hops farm. Ideally the logs should be no bigger than 10" in diameter (on the bigger end) and at least 20 feet long.

Thanks!!!

Tyson

Not looking for any veneer. I'm looking for logs to build a hops trellis. For the greater cause of bringing virginia more beer. :)
How large of a hop yard are you planning on and what varieties are you going to plant?

What is the minimum diameter small side? I just walked a small cc and there are few decent cedar trees. How many are looking for? Can't promise anything but happy to help if I can.

I'm down in spotsy but lived in Lorton for 30 years. So depending on what you're requirements are and whether I can meet them I also can deliver. PM your phone number and I can call you today if you like.

To jrider, I'm going to start with one variety. I planted a test bed last year with columbus, nugget, chinook and cascade. Going to do chinook this year and add a different variety next year probably nugget or columbus. Columbus grows like a weed!! Going to do 200 plants this year, maybe more.

To Jess562xp, I need about 20 posts. I'll take what I can get and I can also buy more for next years expansion if it sweetens the deal. I'll PM you. Thank you.

Awesome. I started with 40 cascades last year and am adding 60 more of the same and 40 chinooks this year. I used bamboo cut offs for my posts and strung two bines to each pole. Would like to keep adding year after year and potentially sell to local brewery.

Awesome. I started with 40 cascades last year and am adding 60 more of the same and 40 chinooks this year. I used bamboo cut offs for my posts and strung two bines to each pole. Would like to keep adding year after year and potentially sell to local brewery.

Thats a good amount of hops. Cascades did a little better for me then chinook, but chinook seems to be one of the goto hops for IPA's. Plus I'm only one year in I expect the second year, with roots established for them to get more density of hops. Where you located? Virginia?

Thats a good amount of hops. Cascades did a little better for me then chinook, but chinook seems to be one of the goto hops for IPA's. Plus I'm only one year in I expect the second year, with roots established for them to get more density of hops. Where you located? Virginia?
I'm in South Jersey. What part of Virginia are you ? Last year was my first year and I filled up 5 paper trash bags about 3/4 of the way during 3 different pickings. All in all, a very successful first year. Cow manure is awesome!

I'm in South Jersey. What part of Virginia are you ? Last year was my first year and I filled up 5 paper trash bags about 3/4 of the way during 3 different pickings. All in all, a very successful first year. Cow manure is awesome!

I'm near the leesburg area. Just order 200 chinook rhizomes and found 20 black locust trees. Need another 10, but enough to get a couple rows in. Looks like its on for this year.

I'm near the leesburg area. Just order 200 chinook rhizomes and found 20 black locust trees. Need another 10, but enough to get a couple rows in. Looks like its on for this year.
Awesome! I would like to stay in contact with you for updates and see how things are going. Maybe we can offer each other some advice or bounce ideas back and forth. I don't know about you, but I don't really know anyone who knows anything about hops and just kind of took a leap of faith with it last year.

Awesome! I would like to stay in contact with you for updates and see how things are going. Maybe we can offer each other some advice or bounce ideas back and forth. I don't know about you, but I don't really know anyone who knows anything about hops and just kind of took a leap of faith with it last year.
Sounds cool. Just pm'd you my contact info

Back