looking for ideas for a cheap hydraulic tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you are in Indiana so you are in prime farm country. Search for the local farm equiptment salvage yard and get the hydro tank off a old combine.

I picked mine up for under $50 off of a old combine.

I dont know were you are in Indiana but if you are in the northern part and it is worth your drive up North a bit to Western Michigan there is a huge company up here that specializes in old farm equiptment.

If you are in Northern Indiana shoot me a PM and I can get you a number, also, I get to Indiana once a week down 30 north of Kokamo that we could work something out.

5 gallon bucket the oil come in?
55 gallon barrel the oil come in?

barrels make nice tanks. put your suction line thru the small opening and lay the barrel on its side if you need head pressure. if your pump can lift the oil on top, leave the barrel upright.

A 20 or 30 lb propane tank makes a nice tank, just make sure it is cleaned out good before doing any welding on it,
Friend of mine used a 30 pounder, he flushed it out real good and welded in his fittings.

A 20 or 30 lb propane tank makes a nice tank, just make sure it is cleaned out good before doing any welding on it,
Friend of mine used a 30 pounder, he flushed it out real good and welded in his fittings.

I started out when I built my splitter using a air tank from a semi. In would need to cut a hole in it big enough to fit a nipple in that I could weld up.

After getting a tank and doing the cutting and not being able to clean the tank out I was scared about ruining my pump. Thats why I went with a combine Hydro tank, no cutting, no welding, no concern of any crap going through my pump.

tank

I used a air tank the ones that are 5 gall with a little hose on it.

I started out when I built my splitter using a air tank from a semi. In would need to cut a hole in it big enough to fit a nipple in that I could weld up.

After getting a tank and doing the cutting and not being able to clean the tank out I was scared about ruining my pump. Thats why I went with a combine Hydro tank, no cutting, no welding, no concern of any crap going through my pump.

PLUS they come with a built in filter. I used one off a 715. Got it for $20

I got one from a scrap yard, 6 gal, I did have to weld a bung in it for 1 1/4 pipe for the suction hose, it leaked the first time, I just ground it shiny and welded it again, no leaks now. In farm country, tanks are abundant at the salvage yards, they come off of windrowers, old combines and what not.

thanks to all. I am located about 2 miles from the Ohio River (Rockport)
I will check these ideas out.

Do you all think 5 gallons is enough...I did till I started looking around for sizing and with a 16gpm pump others think i need a 16 gallon tank or bigger

I thought of the air tank idea thanks again

I've got around 15-17 gallons and a 28gpm pump. I'd go at least half of your pump rating, but I'm no expert.

Ian

Tank should be at min. the size of the pump in gpm, 1.5x or 2x is better. Reason - keeps the heat build up down. Heat is the enemy of your seals in the cylinder, pump,and valve. Keep your return line below the fill port at least a couple inches and on the opposite end from the pump intake line. You do not want your return line squirting into the tank and en-training air in the hydraulic oil. Air in the oil will cause cavitation in the pump and shorten its life significantly as well as creating friction, inducing more heat and due to the compressibility of air, reducing the efficiency of the system.

I was under the impression that the rule of tank size being equal to pump capacity was for industrial apps and that the intermittent nature of log splitting didn't require that.

The TSC splitters have about 3 gallons for their 16gpm pumps.

Ian

I saw a splitter the other day that was using a piece of well casing standing straight up for a tank . The cylinder was a two way , it split in both directions , no need to run the cylinder back every time , he thought the cylinder came off a navy ship .

Back