Looking for ideas on processing 2-3" sticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeekinz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you would call it, or if theres even a name, but I'm looking for ideas on processing 2-3" diameter stick/saplings. I have a ton of hazelnut that I want to cut down into roughly 20" sections. Fabbing is no problem. Would prefer gas power, like using a chainsaw, but electric is fine.

Build a jig to hold the far end of the chainsaw bar and allow you to pivot the power head end up and down, and a stop you can hold the sticks against, both while cutting and measuring length. This'll let you hold the sticks with one hand and safely run the saw with one hand, like a chop saw.

Lift power head up while the tip of the bar stays attached to the jig. Push twig under bar until it hits your length stop. Hold twig against the cutting stop, rev up saw, drop down power head and cut twig, lift power head, feed in more twig, wash rinse repeat.

If you already have a chop saw, that might be a better option.

Have a neighbor of sorts to one of my farms that mostly heats his house and shop out of my brush piles and with pallets he gets from a part time job he works. He pickup a cheap chop saw at a garage sale and has it set up on a stand and a couple of conveyor sections of rollers feeding the saw and he tosses the cut ends into old two and three hundred gallon farm chemical totes he cut the tops out of. He moves the totes with his tractor and some three points forks. He probably cuts four or five cord a year this way.

Bundle the sticks with ratchet straps and then cut the bundle with a chainsaw. Or make a cutting stand, something like this:

https://homesteadhow-to.com/how-to-build-a-log-cutting-rack/

That is the method I used. Made square Us out of angle iron width inside just under the reach of a 20" bar, height about 1.5'. set 2x6's on edge and fastened the Us spaced 16" apart (or whatever length you want to cut. Fill with limbwood then walk down the jig slicing halfway BETWEEN the angle irons. Once loaded you wind up with a bunch cut to length sticks. Takes longer to write that than it does to fill and cut a bunch. Mine will fold up for easy storage when not in use. Got to be real careful spacing the Us or it won't fold.

+1 for the chop saw.

I have a jig for cutting 16" lengths of firewood and used to pile the branches in it to cut with the chainsaw. Unless you use the saw single handed and your other hand holding the branches, they spin, jam, and otherwise are a pain.

10" carbide blade in the chop saw, infeed table on right, table and stop on left.
Hold branches with left hand and zip, done.

Will never go back to the chainsaw for branches under 3 - 4" size.

This is what I use. I now have a rope with a cam action cleat that I wrap around the limps and it holds them real tight. I start cutting the outside about 18” pieces and work to the center. I build it for an 18” cut Down the center. It is easy to move.

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpeg
    IMG_2698.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2702.jpeg
    IMG_2702.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Back