Looking for plans for firewood shed/lean to

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naptown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a simple shed or lean to to store firewood outdoors. I enjoy building things, but I'm terrible at the design process and drawing plans. Wondering if anyone has plans that could use or alter to make it work. I'm envisioning buying some metal roof panels (unsure on how this is sold) and using a simple stick build. I do have access to some nice oak 3"x4"x96" and basic 2"x4"x96" lumber. In addition, I also have already purchased some of the preformed concrete "deck blocks" to help with the foundation. As far as size, I'm thinking a foot print of approximately 8 feet wide, by 4 (or more) feet deep. I'm very open to different shapes, sizes, materials, etc.. I would like build one and potentially build more of the same design as I start stacking more and more firewood (I have a LOT of ash that needs to be picked up). I've attached an image of something that looks similar to what I think I want. Any input would be helpful, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm looking to build a simple shed or lean to to store firewood outdoors. I enjoy building things, but I'm terrible at the design process and drawing plans. Wondering if anyone has plans that could use or alter to make it work. I'm envisioning buying some metal roof panels (unsure on how this is sold) and using a simple stick build. I do have access to some nice oak 3"x4"x96" and basic 2"x4"x96" lumber. In addition, I also have already purchased some of the preformed concrete "deck blocks" to help with the foundation. As far as size, I'm thinking a foot print of approximately 8 feet wide, by 4 (or more) feet deep. I'm very open to different shapes, sizes, materials, etc.. I would like build one and potentially build more of the same design as I start stacking more and more firewood (I have a LOT of ash that needs to be picked up). I've attached an image of something that looks similar to what I think I wwant. Any input would be helpful, thanks in advance!allo
You can not go too big. Just be sure to build one that has a floor that allows good air circulation (biggest mistake I made).

I'm looking to build a simple shed or lean to to store firewood outdoors. I enjoy building things, but I'm terrible at the design process and drawing plans. Wondering if anyone has plans that could use or alter to make it work. I'm envisioning buying some metal roof panels (unsure on how this is sold) and using a simple stick build. I do have access to some nice oak 3"x4"x96" and basic 2"x4"x96" lumber. In addition, I also have already purchased some of the preformed concrete "deck blocks" to help with the foundation. As far as size, I'm thinking a foot print of approximately 8 feet wide, by 4 (or more) feet deep. I'm very open to different shapes, sizes, materials, etc.. I would like build one and potentially build more of the same design as I start stacking more and more firewood (I have a LOT of ash that needs to be picked up). I've attached an image of something that looks similar to what I think I want. Any input would be helpful, thanks in advance!
This may not be your cup o tea but it's another alternative. https://www.strombergschickens.com/site/starplate-building-system/

How much wood do you want to keep in it and how much do you typically burn in a winter?

Pallets for a floor is ok for short term storage that isn’t rain proof but will rot quickly exposed to the weather.

How much wood do you want to keep in it and how much do you typically burn in a winter?

Pallets for a floor is ok for short term storage that isn’t rain proof but will rot quickly exposed to the weather.

Nothing too crazy. I'm not reselling wood so it's what I can use / give to friends. I like the idea of finding a design and building more as needed. I do have access to pallets too - seems like a nice 'replaceable' floor.

Nothing too crazy. I'm not reselling wood so it's what I can use / give to friends. I like the idea of finding a design and building more as needed. I do have access to pallets too - seems like a nice 'replaceable' floor.
Pallets make a great floor. I put down 4 inches of crushed stone and level it then put the pallets on that and everything keeps nice and dry.

They are the holy grail of pallets…lol…hard to scrounge them down thisaway…..I get the treated wood ones and they hold up
The plastic ones are hard to get ahold of here. The skids I use now were from my wife's grandmother's work. Plastic molding factory. They were "test pieces" for new molds. Kinda a back door out of the dumpster deal, but hey they work good. Sure wish I had more of them.

How about just adding pallets to your floor?
I had pallets at first and they will rot and break when stepped on.
I hated that.
Then I just built a proper firewood shed and designed it myself with extra strong deck style floor and slat walls and metal roof. Pics are before the doors were made.
27' long x 10' deep x 8' tall
FB_IMG_1640485842573_2.jpgFB_IMG_1640485850500.jpg IMG_20211226_154304983.jpg

Latest posts

Back