Looking for some feedback for the best chainsaw in my budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one time several members were purchasing "Earthquake" saws off Ebay for around $50. They said they needed the carb tweaked but were pleasantly pleased with the results.

There are lots of older used saw which still have a lot of life in them. I am still using Stihl 08s & S10 saws (60cc/56cc) with 25 & 17" bars for falling & bucking.

Chain brakes have their place but if you can get a good running saw & it does not have one, it wouldn't keep me from buying it. My Stihl 08s & S10s don't have them. Just make sure you know where the bar is at all times, especially if the chain is turning.

The old saws around 33cc which are running can be found in my area for around $50-75.
(Poulan 25/XXV series - also sold as Craftsman, Homelites, MacCulloch, ...)

If it is running well, has compression around 150 psi & is $100 or less, it will probably get you started.

Getting 2 used saws for the money makes more sense. Saws do get pinched. Chains do come off. Saws do have temperamental moments & don't want to start. These should not be occurring regularly, but they happen, especially as you are first learning.

Most of us probably started off with used saws. I have in the past 45 years only have bought 2 new saws. A Poulan XXV Microvibe which was discounted through a drug store because it was returned, "Bar & Chain missing" I gave $25 for it in 1980 & still have it. The other is a Jonsered CS2139T - I just wanted one. I love it!

Cutting from both sides you can take down/buck a 32" tree with a 16" bar. Advantage of a longer bar is reach. A lot of saw operators like a longer bar so they can cut without having to bend over most of the time.

If you can get two used saws for 300 bucks, go for it. If it has to be new, the PoulanPro 2050 or it's cousins with a shorter bar is IMHO the best deal you'll find. A Husky 346xp would be great if you could find one for 3 bills. I use two old saws that are in the 50cc class, one with a 20" bar and one with a 16" bar. I really don't recommend anything smaller.

If you can get two used saws for 300 bucks, go for it. If it has to be new, the PoulanPro 2050 or it's cousins with a shorter bar is IMHO the best deal you'll find. A Husky 346xp would be great if you could find one for 3 bills. I use two old saws that are in the 50cc class, one with a 20" bar and one with a 16" bar. I really don't recommend anything smaller.

Just so he doesn't get confused, I think you mean the Poulan Pro PP5020av. Yep, 200 bucks to your door or out of the store ain't too shabby for a new 50 cc saw that works well.

Any saw from a major manufacturer in the 40-50ccm range should make you happy!

Manufacturers to recommend:
Dolmar=Makita, Echo=Shindaiwa, Efco=Oleo Mac, Husqvarna=Jonsered=Zenoah=RedMax (the hobby, semi pro/farmer line = Mc Culloch=Partner), Hitachi=Tanaka, Solo, Stihl

What I would consider:
1. Poulan Pro PP5020av
2. Echo 590 (with a budget upgrade)

What I would choose:
1. Dolmar 421 (with a budget upgrade) only 42cc but behaves like 50
2. Echo 590 (with a budget upgrade)

Learn sharpening skills!!! A sharp 40cc saw will be faster than a dull 60cc! They win or lose the day, not the manufacturer name!

That's a great point : it's true a 40 cc with a sharp chain will certainly out cut a 60 cc with a dull chain

The Poulan Pro PP5020av. Yep, 200 bucks to your door or out of the store ain't too shabby for a new 50 cc saw that works well.

That's what I did. $200 at Lowes, plus I paid another $20 for a 2-year warranty. I don't have the experience to be a snob or an aficionado, but I love the saw. It's pretty much a Husky 455.

Some people seem to have trouble getting them started, but others (me included) insist that if you follow the starting instructions exactly, it will start every time.

Last fall I had a tree service drop a lot of huge trunks in my driveway, so I needed a 20" bar. But now that the driveway is clear, I'm thinking of getting a 16" bar for it.

I had one of those poulans also and i ran it hard cutting up to 10 cords per week with it the clutch is shot but still runs i dogged that saw and ran it with out mercy and couldn't kill it great saw.

I've owned a 445 for 4 years, and it has been surprisingly good. You'd want a 16" with any of these saws if available. Ditching he safety chain that comes with it and putting on a chisel/semi-chisel of u'r choice makes a big difference
I agree the 445 will surprise you, and cut anything under a ft well.
Another idea is a 61 Husky. There's a few for sale under $200 out there. I have 2, and for firewood you can't beat them!!!

I little Stihl MS170 will handle your chores just fine and last for many years. I've used one for many years cutting 5 to 10 full cords a year. They'r super light, and reliable as dirt, and around $180 brand new. A pure joy to use. I also have a Stihl MS250, but the little 170 gets the brunt of the work, and just keeps truck'n. Truth be told, just about any chain saw will cut 5 to 10 cords a year and last a long time. Most important to buy from a freindly and knowledgeable place that can service the saw. After 10 years, my little 170 had its chain oiler replaced.

Latest posts

Back