Need new chainsaw, ~50cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelvarr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thanks to you guys, I finally signed up after lurking for the last 3 weeks. I am a typical homeowner looking for a decent saw to mainly use for firewood and trimming, generally 12" or less. About 3 weeks ago, the county was prepping a road for paving and downed a lot of trees, and gave a "if you want them, bring a saw and get them" message. So I spent the better part of a day with my crappy Wen Lumberjack 3814 and got about 3 truckloads.

After that day, I decided I need a better saw. Much anguish and research. I am the kind of person who likes to research and become familiar...otherwise, I would have ended up at Home Depot and gotten any old saw. However, becoming familiar turns into obsessive research, and the price of my saw has basically doubled.

First, I checked out the dealers around me. The closest is a couple of Stihl/Husqvarna dealers. About 20-30 min away, I have a Dolmar authorized Service Center. My price is ~$300-$350

I have gotten it narrowed down to the following saws. I think
  • Stihl MS251 (New, local dealer, $310)
  • Stihl 026 Pro (Used, Service-Center refurbished with new piston, $350)
  • Stihl MS260 (Used/Refurbished, Same place as above, $375)
  • Makita DCS5121 (New, I can get online for ~$370)

Anyway, that was my short list. Recently, I have found out about the Poulan Pro 5020AV as being an acceptible saw. The downsides being that it is a plastic base as opposed to the metal on the Pro Stihls and Makita....and that the Poulan uses a lot of oil and even oils while idle. I'm not sure what else. I am open to suggestions.

I was honestly getting ready to pull the deal on the 026 Pro, but wanted to get opinions. I tend to overthink/overdo things in my head, hence the drifting into the Pro saw realm.

Pro saw is always a great idea, but by far NOT needed. From your list I would get the Makita DCS5121. Why should someone spend the same amount of money for a USED piece of equipment in questionable quality if one could get brand new in the same power league.
The 251 is NOT a 50cc saw.

The poulan 5020 is always a good opotion.

The refurbished saws have been completely gone through by the dealer and they have basically made them like new.

As for the 251 not being a 50cc saw, I did say ~. I don't NEED at 50cc saw...just around there. The 45cc of the 251 would probably be enough.

My only question/concern about the Makita is the local dealer. He's a bit away, and not exactly sure how good. I know a few good Stihl dealers around me.

For your stated use the 251 would work very well. The 026 is one of my favorites of all time but they are getting old and even refurbished will need some TLC from time to time. The 260 is the same saw with the lousy floppy caps. I also think the prices on the 026/260 are high. My vote is for the 251.

Well for starters avoid online saw sales unless you have experience with basic troubleshooting and tuning. The local dealers will take care of you there.

The ms260 or 026 pro will both be a great choice if they come with a warranty. Otherwise go with the ms251 since it will come with a factory warranty. The 251 is a very impressive saw.

All the recomandations for Husqvarna 545/555/Jonsered are totally senseless because they are way out of the budget range!
What I find as the best buy in the ~40ccm class out there is the Dolmar 421! Built like a pro saw and behaves like one class up! I would take it over any 251 every day of the week. Even if gifted the 251 I would trade it to the 421.
Another option would be a Echo 490. A true 50 cc saw slightly detuned version of the 501 as far as I have understood.

Sometimes your local dealers will have some new old stock stuff that will be a bit cheaper then the new gear. Might expand your options, get you a warranty, and get you in with a local dealer if/when you need help.

On a side note, I scored my husky 555 off fleebay for 385 shipped to my door. So if you want to roll the dice on a used saw you can likely get more bang for your buck.

That being said I say buy the most powerful new saw you can buy. If you're cutting firewood yearly the reliability and piece of mind you will get with a new saw will be worth it.

Another vote for the Husky 450. Has been a great saw for me now for several years. Cut about 10 cord per year and never had an issue.

Thanks to you guys, I finally signed up after lurking for the last 3 weeks. I am a typical homeowner looking for a decent saw to mainly use for firewood and trimming, generally 12" or less. About 3 weeks ago, the county was prepping a road for paving and downed a lot of trees, and gave a "if you want them, bring a saw and get them" message. So I spent the better part of a day with my crappy Wen Lumberjack 3814 and got about 3 truckloads.

After that day, I decided I need a better saw. Much anguish and research. I am the kind of person who likes to research and become familiar...otherwise, I would have ended up at Home Depot and gotten any old saw. However, becoming familiar turns into obsessive research, and the price of my saw has basically doubled.

First, I checked out the dealers around me. The closest is a couple of Stihl/Husqvarna dealers. About 20-30 min away, I have a Dolmar authorized Service Center. My price is ~$300-$350

I have gotten it narrowed down to the following saws. I think
  • Stihl MS251 (New, local dealer, $310)
  • Stihl 026 Pro (Used, Service-Center refurbished with new piston, $350)
  • Stihl MS260 (Used/Refurbished, Same place as above, $375)
  • Makita DCS5121 (New, I can get online for ~$370)

Anyway, that was my short list. Recently, I have found out about the Poulan Pro 5020AV as being an acceptible saw. The downsides being that it is a plastic base as opposed to the metal on the Pro Stihls and Makita....and that the Poulan uses a lot of oil and even oils while idle. I'm not sure what else. I am open to suggestions.

I was honestly getting ready to pull the deal on the 026 Pro, but wanted to get opinions. I tend to overthink/overdo things in my head, hence the drifting into the Pro saw realm.
026 is a great little saw

Around here a lot of firewood hacks, tree service guys, and landscapers really like the 346xp. I have one to sell in that price range but its pretty beat looking with carved numbers in it from previous owner and is Etech muffler and missing a couple fins, won't win a beauty contest for sure, but its got plenty of guts at 50cc, 150psi, and all oem (no aftermarket junk carb, etc. with husky 18 " bar. If you like the stihl some dealer still have the ms250 which was a decent little saw, but the 346 and 026 have more power and are popular and easy to find parts.

Latest posts

Back